Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just joined and this is my first post.
We recently adopted a wonderful chocolate F1b labradoodle, Henry. He has been absolutely wonderful with one exception. We also have a pet bunny, Neville. Henry loves to sit in front of Neville's cage and bark at him. If we attempt to take Neville out of the cage, Henry absolutely looses his mind. He barks and jumps and gets so excited. I think he is trying to play, but his puppy playing is really not a good idea for a little bunny. I'm afraid he is going to seriously hurt Neville. Is this a puppy phase? Is there any hope that the two of them can be friends?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
One of the reason we chose a LD is their temperment with other pets, here is Hershey with one of our dwarf bunnies

you can just feel the love.
We had a bunny and Hershey eventually calmed down. I suggest teaching "leave it" really really well first. We ended up rehoming our bunnies to a little girl in the neighbourhood. Although Hershey was good with them, they were always living in terror of being eaten, their prey instincts were making them live under stress, so we found them a dog free home.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All I can know about doodles and bunnies is that my sister has two doodles, and they attack and eat any bunnies they can find. I would be nervous that Henry's prey drive would at some point override your command. They prey drive can be very strong. But you would be the best judge of whether Henry will ever be able to be friends with Neville (love that name - Harry Potter reference?). Good luck.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
some dogs can be taught to leave bunnies alone but i wonder if this is best when the dog is a small puppy?

and Labradoodles have strong hunting instincts....so i'd think your work is cut out for you.

you can try NO, LEAVE IT etc..........let us know if you make progress

·
Registered
385 Posts
I also have this problem. My dogs LOVE my cat... but my cat does not feel the same. She is pretty tough and has her safe zone in the house but sometimes I feel bad for her w/ two young dogs in the house. They bark at her and chase her when she comes out :( But she's a tough cookie and gives them a good swipe if they get too close.

Leave it works but I think it will be a while before it works 100% of the time.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We have doodles and dwarf bunnies, it can be done. The bunnies came before the doods so both Jett and Copper were introduced when they were puppies so that very well may make a difference. I also would suggest teaching the "leave it" command to Henry and if Neville doesn't already have one, get him a hide out for his cage so he has a place to escape when Henry is bothering him.

Copper and the bunnies. (Peter and Petra. Yes they are spayed and neutered :wink: )

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
With nine cats in the house ya better believe that
Denver was taught off and leave it...............
bahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

We had to take the prey drive away as a puppy with training
or it would just be kaos.....................

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Henry is sooooooooo cute ...i really love that pic and he also looks like he has a wee little devil not yet released hahhahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts