Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everybody,

I want to ask about your doodles appetite. I feel Kasper can eat endlessly if he got the oppurtunity, and lately I have noticed that he dosent even seem to cheew his food, he just somehow swallows it or scubes it down. and he is done in a minute or two :?
I am feeding him 3 times a day, plus snacs in between, and I know he is getting enough. But everytime someone walks close to the garage door he jumps up and and gets really exited because thats were we keep his food.

And yes sometimes we have to crate him during dinner time, because he just wont take no for an answer... :x

Hehe this is not really a problem, but Im just curious if your doodles act like this, or if he is just extra greedy :?:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
haha...our doodles are in love with food too. Kirby wasn't so much when he first came, but since Dex stole one of his meals, he's much more attentive and excited about eating. I think it's different for all because some people post here they can't get their doodles to eat and we definitely never have that problem :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Henry only takes a minute or two to eat his meal and there's not a lot of chewing going on either. I also wonder how much he would eat if given the opportunity.

Most of the time he is satisfied with his meal but lately he'll finish his dinner and then carry his dish to where we're sitting. I don't know if he's still hungry or just playing. I can barely feel his ribs :? so I know he's getting enough food.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Marley wolfs his food down in record time. The fastest eater I have ever seen. And always comes up for more. He also had issues with vomiting. He definitely has the poodle sensitive stomach, but perhaps his quick eating is exacerbating this. I was discussing it the other day and l learned of a new dog dish that makes it more difficult for dogs to inhale their food. I am not sure it will accomplish anything but I am going to get one this weekend and see. I can see where it may slow him down,but I will see if that makes any difference. I just googled "Slow down dog dish", and got lots of sites that sell it. Anyone ever seen it? Used it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I am curious to know if this plate will work. Maybe you will let us know if it does.

Im allways looking for ways to keep Kasper occupied hehe, Maybe the family can actually eat it peace wile he tries to eat his food in this new plate haha... :D

thanks, Kasper's Mom

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have this problem with both Sandy and Tucker (beagle mix). What worked for us was putting their food in a bowl of water - it slows them down and forces them to chew to separate the water from the kibble.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I wonder how long it would take our smart doodles to figure out to tip the bowl over to empty the contents for quicker eating? LOL Curious to know how it works out Maddjax.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie is the same way, he inhales his food. You feed him, then walk out of the room, and it seems like he's right behind you already. He hasn't had any problems with vomiting from it, but I wouldn't mind it if he took a little more time eating. I too would be interested in seeing how that bowl works.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner has to be enticed to eat his kibble. He is a grazer. He will eat a couple of mouthfulls and then go play and come back for a snack a few minutes later. He does eventually finish it off but usually just before bedtime.

I have heard of people throwing the kibble on the floor to force the dog to eat once piece at a time. The dog dish pictured above looks interesting.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Again, I'll cite Victoria from "It's Me or the Dog". She had a lab who ate everything, and was done eating in 5 seconds. So, she stood by his bowl, and dropped a reasonable mouth full into his bowl. I can't remember more than that.

But good luck. I wish I had that problem sometimes. Napa goes from eating his dinner to not eating a lot. Right now, we're in a not eating, but I think that's because he's mad at us for not playing with him (we're trying to keep him calm), and he wants to go on walks, another no-no.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Calimom said:
I wonder how long it would take our smart doodles to figure out to tip the bowl over to empty the contents for quicker eating? LOL Curious to know how it works out Maddjax.
Meg you read my mind............
Denver has access to kibble all day long and eats when he wants.
But wet food whether it be canned or homemade, he learned long time
ago to turn bowl upside down, so now I put it on a plate and he slops it
off to the side but still eats it slower.......... they are very smart
Denver would dump this slow eating bowl and probably chew off the
knobby things.........
bahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OUR 3 eat their food in a timely manner and i am shocked that this week Beau only eats what he wants and leaves the rest :shock:

HOWEVER Mr Mamma's boy Max lately wants MORE FOOD and wont' let up so we give him an extra handful otherwise he pushes his bowl and the two others around toward my feet hahahhahaaa

max USED to pick up the food bowls and put them in my lap and nudge them....I went to Walmart and bought the Biggest plastic food bowl they sell. He can't get a grip on it now with his teeth hahaha

if the water bowl is empty, he tips it over and rolls it across the floor hahahah it's a heavy terra cotta bowl. He broke one so far. :roll:

Doodles are smart.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Way to go Max !

Sue I agree, I think Annabelle would see that bowl has a toy LOL

I'll be happy to know how it works thought, the kids have 2 inhalers, I've never seen dogs eat as fast at they do.

Annabelle is a free feeder

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ok, We went to a local pet store to purchase the bowl I pictured and discussed earlier in this post. While we were there I notice another bowl that accomplished the same thing. There was a large label on it that explained it purpose, and the benefits of using it. It says it helps in preventing bloat, something that can be very dangerous to dogs. Marley has had stomach problems in his short life, so we decided to get this one instead of the one I mentioned. The reason is the first one I posted, upon inspection seemed that the protrusions sticking from the bottom of the bowl were so closely clustered that it seemed that it would be difficult for a dog to get the food between these protrusions. My goal, I feel is to slow down Marley's pace in eating the food, not to make it a frustrating challenge each time eats. So we went with the KayCee Life Bowl.

The one I got.

The one I posted previously in this post.
[/img]

We used it once last night and once this morning, and I can attest that it did slow down his consumption, naturally. He has to reposition himself to get to the food. As he does, he moves, sits, even actually chews the food. Before he was a vacuum cleaner just seemingly inhaling the food. I think this new bowl is going help prevent the speed eating and hopefully help him with some of the stomach and digestive problems he has been experiencing. Maybe it will, maybe it makes no difference, but I think the principle of the idea is a good one and for it's $14.99 cost, it is certainly worth the try.

Here are a couple of links that explain the item.

http://www.safetyobediencepetproducts.c ... slifebowl/
http://www.petdiscounters.com/c283/Kayc ... p7054.html[/img]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the info. I think I will see if they have something like that in the store here... I think it would be worth a try at least :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts