Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Bud is finally home and we are all in love with him already. He is so sweet and cuddly, but still has enough puppy playfulness in him to keep us on our toes.

Everyone who has met him loves him...except our cats. He wants so badly to play with them, but they want nothing of the sort. I can tell he is trying to play by his body language...I'm 99.9% certain he isn't trying to hurt them, but the cats about have heart attacks when he starts bouncing around them. He scared one of our cats so badly she ran head first right into a wall...I was afraid she had hurt herself, but seems okay now.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? I'd like for them all to be pals at some point, but right now I'll just settle for Bud to stop chasing them so they'll come back upstairs from the basement.

Thanks,
Michelle (and Bud)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've never had cats in the house with my doodles so I'm not much help but I say that time is going to help the issue at some point. You just can't expect to bring them all together and always get the desired results you want. I think in time they will all learn who's the boss and what they will except from him and not except. And he will learn also how much they will take from him.

G

·
Congrats Michelle! Bud sounds adorable. I don't own cats, but I know I read somewhere to make sure the cats have somewhere vertical (up high), or a gated room where they can escape to when they want a break from the dog.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Our two doodles love to try and chase the cats. They can't due to the xpen used to gate off the living room, but they do manage to crash into the gate trying. The cats still go running when the dogs start barking and have run into walls and door jambs. The cats hate the dogs, they never liked our chocolate lab either. They tolerated her. I don't know that we will ever have a peaceful coexistance. :( Any ideas on how to make cats like dogs?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
saw this quote the other day: :)

Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

·
Registered
164 Posts
Leno was the same way with our cats. He always wanted to play with them and they just wanted nothing to do with him, they hated him! I could tell he was only being playful. I knew he would never hurt them on purpose but at times I think he forgot his size. I moved some of my living room furniture around to give them places they could go and relax without having a dog up their butt. I also put their food dishes on top of the washer. They became funny though because when he'd walk by they would swat him in the head. They would even go on top of my entertainment center and hang out there to keep away from him. After a while he wasnt that interested in them anymore. When my cat had kittens and they began to walk around he was actual very nice to them. If he was laying down they would come up to his face and he'd kiss them, it was cute. I think it just takes time for cats and dogs to get use to each other.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I'm no help...we don't have cats. (Hubby's allergic to them!)
Sounds like you are not alone with this issue though.
I think that they all adjust after a while...sometimes they need to get into a battle first, unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Doodles & Cats

My Labradoodle lives with nine cats and I can say that without a doubt teach the command OFF.(lol) Denver wants to play with the cats all the time and they are not interested, not one of them wants to play with a dog but 6 out of the nine do not run when he is near and that results in him getting a kiss or a swat(gentle one) and then the game is over. My cats that run every time they see him just set up the chase game big time. I have taught Denver off every time he sees a cat so he will not chase. Does it work every time (LOL )no he is only 6 months old but it does work 75% of the time. I just have to be very consistent and eventually the animals will let me know if I have done a good job or not. One more thought, the Cats that do not run get treat time side by side with Denver. I am trying to teach that rewards come your way when you do not chase. My household is a work in progress and I am learning more than any of the animals(lol)which I guess is how they will all come to learn.

Blueteal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts