Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put Maya's name and my number on her tag. She is also microchipped. (Never can be too safe). Our yard has an over 6' privacy fence so no one knows what kind of dog is behind my fence except for my neighbors but I don't think they could tell you what kind of dog she is.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We have both doodles microchipped and also have id tags on them (their name, our address and phone number). We leave ours in the car for short bits of time when we run errands...we never though anything of it. Just use common sense and don't leave him unattended for long periods of time.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have name tags on our dogs with our cell numbers on them

YES DOGNAPPING DOES HAPPEN UNFORTUNATELY
and many have told me Peanut needs close watching

i've never left mine in a car unattended as Max gets separation anxiety whereas Peanut and Beau it's questionable if they'd find leather seats or seatbelts a yummy chew toy.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh wow that would be devastating to have happen!
I take my dogs to town with me frequently as they always draw attention and I figure it's good socialization for them and advertising for my pups!
People definitely are drawn to and curious about these beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
985 Posts
When I mentioned to my sister that I sometimes left Chouette in my car she warned me about dognappers, commenting that Chou is probably obviously an expensive dog. (She's only seen photos since we don't live near each other.) I don't think it's obvious; she could be a variety of breeds or mixtures, especially depending on where she is in her grooming cycle. But my car also has an alarm feature, so I feel fairly secure with her in there. And no one knows when I'm returning, so it would be taking quite a chance.

I do not leave her alone in our pen, though. We used to do that with our Danes, but I feel that Chouette is much too vulnerable, not having the size or the fierce look that they had. That makes it difficult if we're going to be gone all day, though. Not sure what to do about that. When possible I just bring her along but I can't do that when it gets warmer.

I don't know what difference leaving her name off the tag would make. She would respond to someone whether they knew her name or not, since she thinks everyone loves her, and she loves everyone.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wow. I would not know what to do if someone would take Cacao. That is sad that people would take your dog. I know these things happen but I like my little happyland. Were that just doesn't happen.

Cacao is mico and has tags with her name our name and phone number and address.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow, I never thought of this but you are right. Someone might be able to take down the name/address from his tags while he is alone in the car and then show up at the house later hoping to find them unattended in a yard. Dante is often alone in the car but never alone in the yard. However, I do think I will place his id tag in between his rabies and town liscense so it's not easy for the casual observer to see. He is microchipped. I know over the last year in some parts of Wyoming they have been having problems with labs being stolen.

Heather

·
Registered
247 Posts
in san francisco, it's common to tie your dogs outside shops or stores while you run in (most places you can walk them in unless it's food-related store), but i recently heard the same thing from someone here - never tie them unless they're in your sight since they are commonly stolen! i am super paranoid about it now and don't tie her unless i can see her. i do still leave her in the car occasionally but it makes me nervous......

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I guess this is why I question the wisdom of putting a bumper sticker on your car announcing that you have a labradoodle.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The only time I leave Tyke alone in the car is when she is in the back, in her crate - it's an SUV, and the windows are tinted, so I don't even think a lot of people would realize she was in there. Of course, with summertime coming, I won't be leaving her in the car alone much anyway, because of the heat! I'm pretty paranoid about it too - even though we have a large fenced in yard, I don't leave her out there alone - mostly because of snakes, but also b/c I'm afraid of people stealing her. She is microchipped, and has my cell # on her tag, and her rabies tag has her vet's contact information on it, but no home address or anything. What a scary crazy world :roll:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, I believe our breeder told us that. We still leave Riley in the yard (dont have much of a choice on that one, plus we live in the middle of no where, so no worries there).

On his ID, we didnt put his name. We put my dad's cell #, and we also wrote "medication required" so they HAVE to bring him to the vets... then the vets can check the Microchip :D He doesnt truly need meds though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All my dogs are micro-chipped. It happens immediately.

I lived through a doggy-napping that nearly sent me to the insane asylum.

My beagle was gone for 2 weeks. I consulted a doggy psychic, went to the pound every day, nailed posters of her on everything possible for a 5 mile radius and finally offered a $1000 reward. Got a call within hours of posting the reward.

It took the humane society and two big police officers, but I got my beagle back from the people who stole her. If she was micro-chipped it would not have been such a big ordeal.

The people who stole her moved to the next county with her. If I had not gone to the ends of the earth to find her I never would have. I'm so lucky to still have her with me to this day.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
What a scary story, Julie, but I am glad it had a happy ending - I would be like you - bound for the insane asylum if I had to go through that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts