Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We have about 5 inches of snow/ice and it's really hard today - like an ice rink. Anyhow, Boyd won't poop on it. We cleared a spot for him but he just took me around the yard for about 1/2 an hour sniffing away (he LOVES it). I finally got him to pee but no poop. Is this usual?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Give him time is this is his first snow. Both max and peanut were like that
pee'd played pee'd more played tons more.

there were a couple of tootsie rolls accidents the first day :roll: so i took the tootsie rolls outside , put them on the ground and let nature's smells do the rest. They went on the snow. :D but not till 10 doodle runs later :roll: and i was a human ice sculpture. :roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I think Bella may be having the same issue. The past 3! nights she has gone in the house. She NEVER has had housebreaking issues. She cries at odd hours to go out (like midnight and 2am) I dutifully let her out and voila: I awaken to a surprise on the tile. I can only guess that when she does go out, she just does not go? I hope this gets better soon...or Spring arrives :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I might be able to help a little. My mom is a groomer and behind her shop she has a bucket with sand in it. Everytime it snows she clears out a path and a small spot and she sprinkles sand all over it. She said it helps the dogs to feel like they are on dirt. My mom is a New England Ole Timer so that what she does :wink: and it seems to work.
~Jenny

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Jenny! I need to find some sand now...maybe Home Depot? Thanks again, I hope it works!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We've got about 9-12" of snow and I have an area "beaten" down for Jonah. Of course he likes to LEAP to another spot, leaving me with snow filled shoes! :shock: It takes a lot longer to find "that spot", but he does. Peeing is hysterical! Got to be a new spot every time and there's a coating of ice on the snow, so 3 legs sink in, the forth goes straight back and then he pees!! :lol: :lol: Cracks me up, then he turns around and looks at me like he's saying "What's so funny?" :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
GENE that's how Max pee'd the 1st night we got lots of snow. One leg out like that and i laughed so hard and Max too gave the What?? look
omg too funny!!!!
Max now pees like a girl again :wink: ....and peanut is the whiz Queen :roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys. Boyd is used to the snow now so no problem pooping. The poor dog walker left me a note that he "doodled" a significant amount last Thursday.... that's b/c he hadn't gone in about 24 hours!!! :roll:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Amazing little Miko is not bothered bt the snow at all! In fact she pefers to squat half buried in a snowbank!! :shock: That's gotta be cold! :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I want a little Miko! :) But HOW do I convince my husband that a second dog is a good idea. He agrees with Jac that it's twice the dirt, twice the expense, etc. I keep saying it's twice the love!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LAM said:
I want a little Miko! :) But HOW do I convince my husband that a second dog is a good idea. He agrees with Jac that it's twice the dirt, twice the expense, etc. I keep saying it's twice the love!!!
LAM...that's the key ---twice the love!!!
Max and peanut have become really close in a short time. And Max is sooooooooo happy having another doodle sister. He does things like teach her how to play tug of war but is gentle. Like a big brother so to spea, if we bathe her he's right there making sure she's ok.

yes can be twice the work at 1st but if one can see how truly one doodle is to have another....I always said it's like these dogs are meant to have another doodle companion.

I too was hesitant and almost backed out...but glad I didn't!!! my whole family in fact is happy we have 2 now even though housetraining is NOT fun hahhahhaaa

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I am working on it but it is a really BIG stretch that Jim will fold. :cry: And Jac, if you're reading this, didn't mean to imply that your anti-second doodle, I know that you are pro-second doodle but that you encourage folks to look at all sides! :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
LAM said:
Little Miko is such a sweetheart. I hope Jonah learns some manners from her and not vise versa! And it IS twice the love. Jonah is more affectionate also. I think he's learning that's what daddy likes! I was fortunate because I live alone....I had only myself to convince and that was really easy!! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Like Gene's new doodle Miko....our newest baby peanut has made Max so happy and more mature or should i calmer in certain ways?
They show us show much love and happiness...Max is in heaven with a half sister playmate who is a real little pistol at times hahahhaha

when they are snuggling and napping together...it is so heartwarming too.

So regardless of the work involved...let's say this if things were too easy would we appreciate them as much?
All i know is our family is soooooooo happy now with 2 doodles and so is max.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Speaking about pooping in the snow, we have had a nice solid sheet of ice on every outdoor surface for the past week. Dexter is so confused. 2 nights ago he peed up on our deck (which he has never done). I did not correct him since we were outside and I didn't want to confuse him more. We started going on walks again Tuesday night (the streets had melted) but we had to walk in the street since most people had not cleaned their sidewalks. Dexter started pooping in the street. We are back to grass now (it was 50 deg yesterday) so he seems much happier.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we got sleet today :roll: then snow, then rain, then more sleet
Max and Peanut did not poop all day!! i walked them 6 times untill Dave came home and finally they pooped at 7;30pm!hahhahahaa

I wonder if the weather confuses them with the different surface textures?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts