Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Our doodle, Dexter, seems to whine a lot. I really don't know if it's a cry for attention or if something is wrong with him. I tend to think it's a cry for attention because it seems to happen a lot when 1) we are in another room with the door shut and he's not in there with us 2) we're not playing with him. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything. I think I'm going to run him by the vet after work tomorrow just to get him checked out, but I was curious if anyone else experiences this. He's just over 6 mos old (could he still be teething?). He also is alone a lot during the day when we're at work so I really think he may be crying for our constant attention when we're home with him. Thanks for any input :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I tend to agree. However, we give him SO much attention when we're home. I mean I'm not going to take him into the bathroom with me and it's times like that when he whines/cries. Or when one of us is sitting on the couch not right with him. Maybe we should start ignoring him more when he does whine to try to get him to stop. I think I overcompensate by feeling bad he's alone all day and then endulge him too much at night (spoiled doodle!)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I mean I'm not going to take him into the bathroom with me
Hahahaha
What is the secret to going to the bathroom all by yourself. I always have a Doodle and a couple of cats follow me. I can not remember the last time I ever had privacy in the bathroom.LOL

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have three whiners...but they only whine when they don't dare pass one of my pregnant females and they want to get past! It is so funny, the females are smaller, and they are not growling...just giving them the eye...and the macho male stands there whining until I help him "pass the guard" and get to where they wanted to go.
It is probably just a personality thing...but good to check it out with the vet to be sure.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
blueteal said:
I mean I'm not going to take him into the bathroom with me
Hahahaha
What is the secret to going to the bathroom all by yourself. I always have a Doodle and a couple of cats follow me. I can not remember the last time I ever had privacy in the bathroom.LOL
You mean people actually can go to the bathroom by themselves?? I can't remember the last time that happened!! Besides, Jonah keeps my feet warm on these frosty ohio mornings! :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha...so i the only one who pees alone? I did bring Dex in with me 1x and he 1) tried to eat from the garbage can 2) tried to eat toilet paper and 3) tried to drink from the toilet...so that was a 1 time thing :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
tried to eat from the garbage can 2) tried to eat toilet paper and 3) tried to drink from the toilet..
So what is your point...that is the fun of having a doodle....using the bathroom with distractions :p

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
between 3 kids that always came in the bathroom, once 3 cats and previous dog...now i had Max and soon to be Peanut.

Take a pee alone what's that??? I think i'd get bored hahahhaa!!
and forget about taking a nice hot bath alone. My teenagers seem to bring me the phone :shock: saying yeah she's here hold on she's in the tub :roll: and max sitting there whining cause I won't let him bathe with me

NOPE i'll take this over quietness any day hahhaa
i have no idea what it's like to be alone since...1983? wait my brother is 13yrs younger than me and would walk right in

so i'd say 1974 was the last time i had privacy hahahhahaaa

·
Registered
183 Posts
None of the doors in my house really close, so Fred just barges right on in to the bathroom. We are used to it, but it is a bit disconcerting for guests. For some reason, my sister, who is not a dog lover, was not happy when Fred barged into the bathroom and tried to get into the shower with her. We tried to tell her that he just wanted to lick the water off her legs, but she still didn't get it.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahahaa...ok so I took Dex to the vet and found out 2 things: 1) He is a whiner. 2) His anal glands were full and needed to be emptied (yuck). In addition, he's now up to 60 lbs and I guess we need to cut back on his food...poor chubby doodle :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh one more thing...we use the vet in PetSmart and Dex and I went to the store while my husband was in the food store...this adorable poodle came in and we went to meet him. They sniffed each other and then out of nowhere the poodle freeked out on Dex and started growling and nipped him. Poor Dex didn't know what to do and started whining.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi lmtoth2

This is the reason why everyone says to always check with the vet.
What great Doodle owners you are to be so quick to the vet.
This is just another reason why I love this forum, very resposible people who love and make sure their animals needs are met.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
amen sue!!!

for me it's like when my kids actly different from the norm I knew something was going on....same way with max.

Some dogs whine...i know max's half sister who plays with him whines to play.
Max on the other hand only whines when he has to go potty or is hurt.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver whines when a cat will not play with him.
Breaks my heart but that's cats for ya.LOL
And in defense of the cats, Denver used to be an 8lb puppy and now well you guys know how big he is. Must look like a monster to the cats.
He is lucky that a couple will kiss him and snuggle up when it is sleep time.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
blueteal said:
Denver whines when a cat will not play with him.
Breaks my heart but that's cats for ya.LOL
And in defense of the cats, Denver used to be an 8lb puppy and now well you guys know how big he is. Must look like a monster to the cats.
He is lucky that a couple will kiss him and snuggle up when it is sleep time.
sue ...what age was denver when he was 8lbs?? at 3 weeks old? hahhahaa

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
and? ok...how much did he weigh in that pic? :wink: :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts