Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Mr. Marley is supposed to be all up on his puppy shots so we have walked the neighborhood 2 days in a row.
Mom is an F1 and kind of a perfect morph of lab and poodle. I never really thought much of how she walks, she actually prefers to RUN.
After Marley's (he is an F1B) first walk yesterday(he was SO good!!!) I couldn't help but notice that he acutually "prances" when he walks, he holds his head up and kind of floats across the ground, kinda "elegant". I have only had toy poodles before.... is this a "standard poodle" walk?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Lucky Me said:
is this a "standard poodle" walk?
I don't have the experience to answer your question, but I can tell you that my Ozzie, now at 4 1/2 months, walks a little awkwardly, still growing into his big feet and gangly legs. When he trots, he is grace in motion and moves just like my daughter's German Shorthaired Pointer. When he runs all out, he is an agile speeding bullet, easily matching the pointer. And he has demonstrated a standing vertical leap of nearly 3 feet.

By comparison, my Lab was more like a chugging freight train or a 1960's muscle-car! So I'd guess that what you're describing comes more from the poodle genes than the Lab.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
YES that is the poodle in them :D

Max and BEAU do this too as if their paws glide on air at times
when they jump it is just as graceful

they're so lightfooted
Peanut has more golden retriever in her at times

whereas Max and Beau the poodlish part is more prominent
in their thinking, walk, running,training, etc

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy walks like that too... its the poodle gracefulness.

Unfortunately he also inherited the lab clumsiness...

Molly is a perfect mix. But then again, Molly is perfect! (bahahahaha right) :shock: :twisted: :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:)

Kirby walks like that - he's so light on his feet and he just prances a lot. Dexter's walk is like a ton of bricks :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
See Leslle, I was going to disagree. When I saw your Dexter, I thought he glided....remember me telling you that? He moves like a fish swims through water. He's got great lines.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
See Leslle, I was going to disagree. When I saw your Dexter, I thought he glided....remember me telling you that? He moves like a fish swims through water. He's got great lines.
haha...well when they run through the house...you barely hear Kirby and you hear a "thud thud thud" from Dex :) Maybe he's a little different when he runs :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Definitely a poodle thing. Charlie is also a prancer. He is very light on his feet.

One of the reasons I haven't worked hard at discouraging Charlie from jumping up on us is that he is so light. It's like he is actually standing on his hind legs and lightly puts his front paws on us. I really like it! (I know, I know... we need to work on only coming UP on command. :wink: )

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous when they walk.....so proud! It has to be the poodle that trots like that because I know it's the lab that sniffs the ground and pulls...........lol

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well! I guess Tuesday favors the Lab when it comes to her gait. I would no way call her dainty, In fact, when I hit the trail with her, if it has been at least a week, you have to watch her. In the middle of running around, she will charge at you, leap in the air, then body slam you....the whole time happy as can be with the tongue hanging out. I always yell Down!, but I know she isn't being mean. It is her way of saying "thank-you!" when she is excited.
Marley is dainty too like you guy's LD's...Mr. Marley Foo Foo. I'm glad that he is light-footed now, he is getting quite big. According to the growth chart someone had on a thread, he will probably be as big as mom....25" and 75lbs. With both of them in my little house, someone better be dainty!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Moses definitely walks like he's got springs in his feet. It is very typical of a standard poodle. Reminds me much of an arabian horse at a fast trot. They just glide and it looks effortless.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
peanut is built like a tank....bulldozes max and steam rolls BEAU
runs like a lion and she's has paws like a polar bear

i'd say peanut doesn't prance like a poodle but struts like a princess :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
peanut is built like a tank....bulldozes max and steam rolls BEAU
runs like a lion and she's has paws like a polar bear

i'd say peanut doesn't prance like a poodle but struts like a princess
haha...thanks for my morning laugh.

I remember when we were up to get Kirby and Jerry went to pick up Peanut - well the look on his face was priceless. She looked like she would be so light :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
and LESLIE , both DAVE and I THANK YOU for our morning laugh!!
i remember jerry's look and comment:

"WOW she's a porker" hahahhaaa

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not only does Bigsby "prance", but he bounds! We should have named him Bounder. It seems like he can jump up onto "his" ottoman all at once in one motion. We get so tickled watching him doing the doodle zooms bounding over obstacles. It's so funny. He also leaps - he'll fly off the 2 steps of the patio onto the grass like Superman, all four paws splayed out. - fly around the yard lickety split, bound over a stump or two, leap back onto the patio over the steps, run through the bushes and around the fountain, and fly back over the steps again into the yard. All very effortlessly and gracefully.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Tink said:
Moses definitely walks like he's got springs in his feet. It is very typical of a standard poodle. Reminds me much of an arabian horse at a fast trot. They just glide and it looks effortless.
A lady passing us on our walk the other day made the comment that Cali glided along like an Arabian horse. It sure is pretty to watch.

·
Registered
659 Posts
DoodleLeeDoo said:
Not only does Bigsby "prance", but he bounds!
Yeah... Ozzie is a "bounder" too. He's like a coiled spring shooting straight up from a static standing position. I know that even at only 4 1/2 months he could easily bound and scramble over the 6 foot high wall behind my house. I just don't want HIM to know that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts