Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cub, my four month old Labradoodle is very scared of sounds like our diesel pick-up truck, the lawn mower, a cycle passing on the road, etc. The other day my husband started the chain saw to trim a limb and he took out running. He was so scared that he sat a distance away and wouldn't come back until he was sure the chain saw was off. I would like to know if any one else has ever had this problem. I don't know what to do to get him used to these sounds. We are going on our winter vacation in less than two weeks and we will be walking him a lot. We will be at a very nice camping park that is very dog friendly. The only problem is that there will be traffic near on the road ways. How can I get him used to it and not be afraid? He isn't a shy dog like being afraid of people or other dogs. He is very happy other wise.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I dont have any help, but I would also love some input into this type of behaviour. Hershey is scared of kids skateboarding. They come rolling down the street and she tries to run and hide.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Cubadoodle...how old is cub?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cub

Cub was born September 1st 2006. I got him December 16. He is so cute and seems to learn things really quick. He seems to pretty well have the potty thing figured out now. We have an older Beagle mix in the house and Cub would go out when he did. I think it helped to have a dog that knew to go outside. I did read the article about dogs being afraid of loud sounds. I don't know why he is so scared because he seems so well adjusted other wise. Maybe I will try a treat when he is scared. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max was a scaredy cat till he hit 5mos old.

Cars going by fast ...sliding doors at Petsmart...loud noises...a deep firm male voice..strangers....etc. I would always reassure him it's ok. I even carried him through the doors at Petsmart in the beggining

He's fine now and adjusted to different sounds and experiences.
at 6.5mos he's the brave watchdog alerting MOM to the neigborhood UPS delieveries, people using my driveway to turn around and so on.
MY protector :wink:

In fact there's a mouse in my wall :shock: when we added the 1400 sq ft addition my EX went over the cinder block hahhaha and well
MAX alerted me 3 nights ago to this fact---mouse in the house (wall).
he stands there and BARKS and BARKS...i'm so happy he let me know.
NOW how the heck to get this mouse!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is scared of the built -in-vac. cleaner. I have other vacs that are louder but he is fine with them. As soon as he sees me going to the cupboard with the "monster in it" he runs. He used to bark at it and now he hides.LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
Frankie is afraid of the vacuum also. He does not even like the sight of it. Usually when I vacuum he just hides or runs straight to the door. The only good thing is that since he is so afraid of the vacuum, I use it as a guard by my plants in our front room because when he likes to attack that plant and will not touch it as long as the vacuum is standing guard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cub doesn't like the sweeper but it is differant when he hears loud vehicles. I want him to be a little afraid so he doesn't want to run out by the road but what he does is a panic! Sometimes I have him on a leash and he just goes crazy, pulling and winding himself up just trying to get away. He is really really scared. I thought about just petting and loving him by our diesel pick-up when it is running so he can see that every thing is o k, but I don't want to scare him more. I am sure it will all get better with time. I may try sometime to send a picture of him. I am not sure how to do it but he is so cute. He does eat like a pig and drink like crazy right now. I can just see him grow a little more each day. In the month we have had him I can see how much taller he is and I am sure the 14 pounds he weighed when he was at the vet has grown to at least 20-25 pounds! We are getting ready to go back for more shots and I can't wait to see what he weighs.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My dood was afraid like that sometimes when a car would go by. Mostly, he'd be more mildly afraid and the weird thing is, he would move out sideways towards the car instead of away, which made it more dangerous. (I certainly couldn't understand his reasoning but I could tell he was afraid) He got over it with consistent walks. DON'T pet your dog and baby him and try to soothe him when he's scared. That just gives him the message that's he's RIGHT to be scared. Just stay calm yourself and gently get control of him. You can even correct him by saying "eh-eh" in a firm voice. When he sees you as the pack leader and in control, he will trust you in whatever situation you have him in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I am sure you are right that if I comfort him when he is afraid that he will think that is the thing to do. I haven't really worked with this issue a lot yet but need to. All sounds are new to him at this point and I am sure it will get better. I just didn't want to handle it wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts