Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yes Cody had a great time at daycare. Maybe too great a time. He was limping this morning - barely putting any weight on his rear left paw and lifting his right front when he could. Upon inspection, he appears to have ripped off most of a pad on his rear left paw and has a blister (or similar to a blister) on a pad on his front right.

What can we do for this? Anything? DH wrapped his rear paw in an old, clean sock tonight and taped it down so it would stay on. Though the urge to chew it is there, it helps him walk much better.

Today DH carried Cody out to pee everytime we knew he needed to go (Cody has stopped asking and is trying to hold it because it is so uncomfortable - snow probably doesn't help). Tomorrow DH is at work and I'm not sure I can carry a 70+ pound pup outside. Any ideas there?

Should we take him to the vet? Is there anything like neosporin we can put on the pads to help them heal faster?

I feel so bad that he played so hard he injured himself. He isn't scheduled to go back to daycare until the first full week in January so hopefully that's enough time to heal.

Any ideas how to prevent this in the future?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've never seen anything like this but it sounds pretty serious to me. I would think you'd want the wound cleaned and kept dry and sterile. Check with your vet ASAP. There may be a special type of doggie bandage that should be used.

I hope Cody heels quickly!

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'd be at the Vet first thing in am, it may require stitches and I'm sure it needs bandaging and maybe a plastic bag with a sock over it when he goes out side

Please let us know how you do in am

prayers and puppy hugs for Cody and calming thoughts for Mom

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think I would have the vet take a look, might prevent an infection or more expensive treatment later.

When Tanner tore his foot/nail, I put gauze around it, then some of the stretchy bandage for pets (you can get it at Petsmart of Petco) then I put a sock on and made the bottom like a shoe with duct tape so the bandage stayed clean. I changed it daily.

But before wrapping I would have vet take a looksee.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Linda,

thanks for the info on the caddie! I filed it away for reference, should I ever need it.

Tia,

I, too, would get Cody to the vet asap. Just to be sure.....

Also,I would be interested if anybody at the daycare
is aware of what happened. It might have involved
another dog, or some play that was too rough.....
Perhaps it was torn accidentally on something they need to fix,
or be aware of....Surely it bled, and I would hope
someone noticed.

I would be reluctant to take him back if this
could have been avoided, or if they didn't have a clue it happened.

I would want them to inform me of the problem
when I arrived to pick him up...having at least, noticed his favoring it.
Just thoughts.....I don't mean to sound against this place at all,
just details I would want some answers to.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh, I see now that maybe he didn't start favoring it until the next morning....well, just the same....the daycare needs to know about it.
I think............
8)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think you definitely need to contact the daycare people and I would pay close attention to how they deal with it.

Play can get rough at daycare and dogs do sometimes get injured. I think it is very telling though, how they deal with the injury.

Let us know how he does today.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Something similar happened to Denver and Sue sent me what she did - (Denver's paw was bleeding at the time). you may be past this point, but I thought I would post it anyway...

1. Rinse the area in clean warm water, cold water will stop the bleeding faster but you want it to bleed a little as the bleeding also cleanses.
I had a pail of warm water and just stuck his foot in. I needed to do this 4 times before the water started to look clear.

2. I poured a cleansing solution(iodine mixed with water) over the area
and packed in some styptic powder to stop anymore bleeding at this time.
This helps prevent infection and should rinse out any glass particles.
If bleeding does not stop then you need emmergency services.
Denver's bleeding had stopped at this point so I knew we were ok
but was not sure about stitches so took him to vet in the morning.

3. Pack with gauze and tape and cover with sock.

You should of course always contact your vet, but this was after hours
for us and I knew the first steps so Icontacted my vet after I did the above.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ouch so sorry for the injury
Like the others please check with the vet.
Denver cut open his webbing in his foot a while back
and even though they could not stitch, it was reassuring to have him looked at.
Let us know what the vet thinks.........

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
annieG said:
I think you definitely need to contact the daycare people and I would pay close attention to how they deal with it.

Play can get rough at daycare and dogs do sometimes get injured. I think it is very telling though, how they deal with the injury.
annieG brings up an EXCELLENT point. Worth highlighting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the ideas and concerns. I probably didn't describe the injury as well as I should've - its like the 'leather' pad or 'outside' layer of the pad wore off. Like maybe it blistered and then ruptured leaving the edges of the 'normal' pad and a sensitive under layer exposed - hence the limping. I reread my original post and it probably sounded more like his pad came off - it didn't - just the outtermost layer. No bleeding.

Anyhow, I called the vet this a.m. at the urging of many. They didn't want to see him since he wasn't licking it and it wasn't swollen or infected. They did say that it is a hard injury to heal from since its hard not to use the paw. For now I was to find Protecta Pad and put that on it and then bootie the paw. If it swells or starts to look infected, I'm to bring him in. If it doesn't heal, I'm to bring him in too, but healing will be SLOW.

So I found Protecta Pad (after hitting 3 stores) and put that on his 'raw' pad and the front one - which looks to be cracked. I also picked up Paw Wax for his two good paws. I bootied the worst paw (the back one) for a while, but figured the booties I got him were probably not the best to keep him in all day (great for outdoors - weatherproof, fleeced lined). So while we went out and he was crated, I let his paw air out.

I'll mention it to daycare when he goes back in January - especially if he's not healed 100%. I am loving the booties - beats drying his paws off every time he comes in (all our snow is melting and we have small 'lakes' in our yard) - just take off the booties and his paws are dry.

Anyone know if a sock-like bootie is made? I'd like to find one that isn't weather-proof for use around the house.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, concerns, and suggestions!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks emileee

and i am soooooooooo glad you called teh vet. I also would Notify the daycare now if you can.

please keep us updated on cody and hope he heals quickly

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
sounds like all is well and going to heal~ slowly, but completely!

let us know what the daycare says when you go back....they should at least be told about it, so if it is something they missed, perhaps they will be more observant in the future.
8)

PS. annmarie, love the new avatar! such beauties!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Echo said:
Hey Annmarie, I'll send you Stihl & Echo's measurements (hint, hint)!
HEY For a small FEE........no problemo senora!!! heh heh heh

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

Dante did the exact same thing to his pad last summer when he went swimming for the first time in a zero depth entry pool with a rough bottom. The outer layer was peeled back but the pad never bled. I used Nature's Edge Wound Treatment wrapped it in gauze, vet wrap, and then sprayed it with bitter yuck so he would leave the bandage alone. Within a few days he was fine and not limping on it anymore and I was careful for the next couple of weeks about walks on rough concrete, etc. They showed me at the store a product you can use to help toughen up pads but it is somewhat oily and I was worried about it getting on the carpets.

Hope it heals fast!

Heather & Dante

1 - 20 of 20 Posts