Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter is now totally used to his Gentle Leader - he almost doesn't seem to mind it :) It helps with the pulling a lot. The one thing that has popped up recently is that he starts thrownig a temper tantrum if someone is walking/running ahead of us in the direction we're going. I am very sure he just wants to meet them (he wants to meet everyone), but he will cry and whine and make his dinosaur Dex sounds. I make him sit but as soon as we start walking he is pulling and making the noises all over again. We did "sit" about 15 times down our street this morning. There is no aggression...he just seems to be distraught he can't catch up with these people.

Any suggestions? I haven't tried treats yet (at 6:15 am I am lucky to find my sneakers and I don't think about grabbing treats).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
This was exactly what Lucky would do once we put him in the Gentle Leader, except for him it was all about squirrels. Pre-GL he would have pulled to get to the squirrel. Post-GL, he only could whine.

I guess the GL changes behavior but not the beast himself. :) Dex has not changed his personality, only his actions. Perhaps he just needs a bit more time to come to terms with his restrictions.

Deb

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have this same problem with Dante and my kids. If they want to ride a scooter or a bike or even just walk a ways in front of us Dante has a fit. If they are behind it's okay. It drives me nuts and I hope will get better with age. I think he's just trying to be protective of the family. The pleasant walks I was dreaming of with my DH and my doodle while the kids ride a bit ahead on a toy of choice have not happened so far but we are working on it.

Heather

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The wanting to be in front is a dog thing. Just hold the course and let them know they can't always be out front.

I still have some problems if a family member is walking in front, but Cinnamon is better at walking behind a stranger at 3 yrs old. It takes a lot of time and correction to get them through this stage, but this too will pass!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts