Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that smaller dogs generally live longer than larger ones. In Nov I lost my small shepard/chow mix dog who was over 16 yrs old, so I would not expect a standard size doodle to live that long.

But does anyone know if doodles who are really large, say 75+ lbs live less than doodles who are more moderately sized?

Wrigley is only 3 1/2 mos but seems to be getting huge very quickly. A few wks ago he was about 24 lbs & I'm not sure how much he weighs, but he's already grown much taller in the 2 wks since we've had him. The breeder thought he'd be 60-65 lbs, but the vet said he might be 80 lbs, so I'm worried that that might decrease his life span.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Rite now he will gain quickly that is why supplements are needed, Based on his weight at 3 1/2mths ,,double that add 5lbs
i would guess he will finish out 55-65lbs when grown

make sure you have him on low protein food, canadai would be good to start now if you arent already on it,, and nuvet vitamins to assist in his quick growth
https://www.nuvetlabs.com/order/default ... 0%20%20%20
i dont think he will get 80lbs, so you can Breathe,, :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
life span

Thanks - I've tried to do all my research to keep him as healthy as possible. He's on NuVet vitamins & I feed him Canidae. I've been careful so far w/letting him do things that could hurt his hips - luckily for us he is soooo mellow & does not jump or run around much at all. He just seems so big for not even 4 mos yet & his paws are huge. He's been eating about 3 cups of food per day (1 cup per meal) plus lots of little treats for potty training.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Libby Lu just turned 5 months and she is 38 lbs already. I was also expecting her adult weight to get close to 80 lbs, but I read somewhere that the average doodle lifespan is about 14 years. Has anyone read of a guesstimate like that?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The lifespan depends on who you ask, but I have seen the expected lifespan range between 12-16 years.
Although the breed may be large, they are considered healthier than pure bred dogs due to the hybrid cross...so this is expected to increase their lifespan.
If you have the time to research, the Canine Diversity Project is an excellent resource for this question. Here is a specific article link to that project, dealing with longevity. Note the bottom where they are studying mixed breed dogs. So far, the average lifespan is 14 years.
http://www.canine-genetics.com/health.htm#xbreed
It would be great if we all contributed to this study...imagine how we could help determine the expected lifespan of doodles! Oh, but in reading this study, once you breed back to a parent breed, you greatly reduce the value of the mixed breed for health. (So, F1 dogs are the most healthy!)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jac, how about F2s, aka double doodles? They are not bred back to the parent breed.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hmmm, good question. I think that an F2 would be as healthy as an F1 because it is the same 50/50 mix, but I could be wrong. The way I read the report is that once you breed back to a parent breed (F1B) you infuse more of that parent breed's genes back into the offspring.
(This is why we keep pushing for testing...to select the best of both breeds and lessen the chance of genetic problems.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
double doodle is also used for F2's. Offspring of 2 labradoodles.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Jac said:
Hmmm, good question. I think that an F2 would be as healthy as an F1 because it is the same 50/50 mix, but I could be wrong. The way I read the report is that once you breed back to a parent breed (F1B) you infuse more of that parent breed's genes back into the offspring.
(This is why we keep pushing for testing...to select the best of both breeds and lessen the chance of genetic problems.)
Whoo Hoo!! How silly to be soooo concerned about lifespan when my Dakota (F1!!!) is only 2, but it occurs to me. He will be 6 when I can give up my day-to-day work commitment (notice I avoid the word 'retire' as that's not reality) so we can spend loads of quality time together!!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This is an interesting post...
Megan, you are asking good questions! (And, for what it's worth I think that your doodle is an F1B...just a guess, from looking at the beautiful fleece coat.)
I believe that since the NARs are 50% Poodle and 25% Lab and 25% Golden that the health factor is not as promising as with a first generation cross, but it is still infusing different genes and just might counterbalance some of the negative traits...this is just my opinion and I am NOT a scientist! (So far from it!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts