Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mentioned that at Dexter's haircut last weekend she had to shave a little portion of his butt due to some matting. Since then, Dexter has been licking at his baboon butt. Do you guys think this is due to itching from the shaving? I looked at the region and it looks a bit pink, but I think that may be just his skin. I was thinking of going to the vet today or tomorrow, but we were just there for a check-up last week and didn't want to go again if I'm just worried for nothing.

Is there anything I could put on the region to discourage the licking?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
It is probably just from the clippers...don't really know what you can put on it to make him more comfortable....sure someone else here does.
You made me laugh with the baboon butt comment! :lol:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would say 80 percent due to itching possible 20 percent to due hot clippers. (happens to the best especially if she hadnt planned on doing the bottom and did it at the end)

anyway I would just keep an eye on it so he doesnt lick it into a hot spot or anything, but it should be fine :)

oh just read genes post. you could call your vet but a little cortisone cream should help with the itch.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
That is a common spot to get a little razor burn(I worked in a grooming shop for a few years). If a dog did get a bit pink, we just applied some Noxema. The light colored dogs always seem to be more sensitive.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions. maybe i'll give the vet a call and ask if i can put hydrocordisone cream on it.

oh yeah - the baboon butt comment was for meant to make you laugh :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
also ask your vet if you can put aloe vera and/or aveeno moisture therapy cream on it

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I called the vet (explaining the shaved baboon butt) and they said it was prob irritation and to try some cortizone cream. we never wound up doing that because he really cut down on the licking last night so we'll just watch him again. i think he got razor burn :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts