Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, Milo will have his first stay in a hotel. Any advice on how to acclimate him, crate him, keep him safe, and, for that matter, how to keep the hotel room safe from him?

I'll be downstairs at a wedding and reception for 5 hours Saturday afternoon/early evening, so I'll have to crate him and was thinking of using one of those collapsible, portable ones. Can anyone recommend a sturdy and reliable brand?

Many thanks!
Caroline and Milo

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Hi Caroline!
First off, have you checked that the hotel will allow you to even leave Milo alone....with or without a crate? Being from Michign too, I have found that hotels here might allow dogs, but they can't be left alone.
As for a sturdy crate, we have a stainless steel one that we leave in the car for travel. It collapses easily and can be taken into places and easily set up. Are you afraid Milo might get out of the crate? If so, maye leave him in the crate in the bathroom with the door shut. Also, maybe a bone in the crate that he can't choke on.........anything he likes that can't be ripped up or swallowed.
I hope it all works for you!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
First, I agree with Lindamarie that you want to make sure of the hotel's policy.

Beyond that, I'd be a bit nervous. Even if he's not normally a barker, I'd hate to find out the hard way that he is spooked by hotel noises or just the strange environment. Is Milo normally crated? Is he used to being away from home?

We recently went on vacation and left Charlie with my daughter. He knows my daughter, has been to her house and loves his crate BUT while at her house he refused to sleep in his crate and didn't eat for two days. :? I just mention this to show that doodles can be somewhat unpredictable.

Is there any chance you can find a dogsitter for him? If not, bring a chew treat that lasts a long time. Leave the TV on to cover other hotel noises. Don't go back in the room to check on him. You can listen at the door but don't let him think you are back if you have to leave again.

Good luck!

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Caroline..........I have a friend who could spend the night and take care of Milo. She took care of my Springer when we went to Chicago. She lives in Bloomfield Twp. Not far from Ann Aror as you know.

G

·
When Maya was little I took her to hotels with me. She would bark at the smallest of noises. I did take her crate although I didn't use it cause she was used to sleeping with me on the bed. I only left her alone for 10 min max while I ran to order some food at the hotel bar. She barked the whole time I was gone.

Oh and so far I have not found a hotle that didn't charge a pet fee. So if you are paying a pet fee maybe you could just find a dog sitter or daycare that will take her for around the same price. That's why Maya stopped traveling with me. A daycare opened here and she goes there now. She loves it and I have a lot less to worry about.

·
Registered
331 Posts
All great suggestions.... but I want to put my two cents in about the portable crates....

Now, Napa's not a happy camper when it comes to being left alone, let alone in a crate. We brought him down with us to Anthony's Dad's house, but had to leave as soon as we got there to meet up with Johnny (Anthony's dad) for dinner. We took the crate to Anthony's bedroom, set it up, put Napa in, closed the bedroom door (which is slightly faulty), and left.....

To our surprise, when we got home, we were met with a doodle nose, downstairs. Napa had tipped his crate (probably trying to get out), which further spooked him, and he tore through the door.... separated the stitching that held the door to the rest of the fabric, pooped in Anthony's room, and then escaped out of Anthony's room. For the rest of the weekend, Napa wasn't comfortable in Anthony's room. The first night we got NO sleep because he was panting, whining, scratching to get out, and pacing.... the second night was slightly better, but still not a happy camper!

So we had to go out and buy a wire crate, the purpose of the trip was so we could go to a dance club with Anthony's father and girlfriend, so we could go out.... So, we've now got a big crate for him at home, larger than he needs, and a regular 36 in one for traveling.

Now, that's a horror story, but I NEVER expected it.... well I slightly anticipated a tipped crate, but not an escapee. I also was warned about the portable crates, but felt ours was sturdy- it was $114 at Petsmart- the N2N one.... pretty stable and "sturdy". So, I'd say be prepared for whatever might come your way. Oh, and bring Natures Miracle. We forgot/ didn't have any left..... So, it was an interesting experience. Good luck with your wedding and deciding what to do with Milo.

G

·
TEST YOUR PORTABLE CRATE BEFORE YOU GO AWAY!!! :lol:
Bella absolutely went wild when I put her in a portable crate as a puppy. She did great in her regular wire crate, but something about that portable crate totally freaked her out (smell?) I just know I have never seen her act like that before or after the portable crate trauma. :lol: I returned it to Target the next day and bought a second wire one. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
One idea if you can leave him in the hotel in the crate. Cover part of it. And turn on the tv if he is used to noise. Cacao likes noise when we are gone, i leave the radio on.

Hope it all goes well.

Where is the wedding at?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the really helpful advice. I honestly wouldn't have thought to ask whether Milo could be alone in the room, and it sounds like that's pretty standard procedure, so I'm glad I posted! It's not ideal, but I was hoping to be able to take him along with me this weekend because I *just* got him back from our breeder yesterday, who boarded him for a week, and now I have to turn around and travel again to be a bridesmaid... But taking him back up there for a day or two might be the best way to go, because you're right - that'd ultimately be less than the $50 pet fee the hotel charges. I just wanted to have him along, since I've been missing him :)

Ideally, I'll try to con my mom or my little sister into dogsitting for a night...Here's hoping they fall for Milo's beguiling cuteness once again!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Are you taking Milo to Maggie's? I haven't been back, so I wonder how well it is for boarding there.

G

·
Caroline, I know how you feel!!! I am going to be boarding Maya for almost 2 weeks here shortly! I am going to miss her!!! I hope you can con your Mom or sis into taking her!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Red Roof Inn. In expensive, clean as any five star place I have been to and no fees for dogs. We always stay there when ever we travel with Marley. We usually just stay for a pit stop, arrive late, leave early the next morning to resume travel to final destination. Last time we did not even take the crate out the car. Never left him alone, so can't speak of that experience, but I would guess most dogs could adapt. Have a safe trip. Good luck!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Abbey loves her soft sided travel crate. I was looking for her the other day and found her in her crate in the garage. That's were we store it if it is not in the car.

Her crate looks like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-1736DT-Ca ... 11&sr=8-48

When she was younger (she's 10 months) we would leave her in the crate in the car when we were shopping. And we took it to friends houses when visiting. She liked going into her crate to rest. She liked being where the action was.

So if your dog is use to a crate I think she'll be fine in a hotel room. I would put a do not disturb sign on the door and leave the tv on. I'm sure it will be easy to check on the dog during the time of the wedding. It would be nice if you could arrive a day early so the dog gets used to the room.

Have a great time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts