Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a dog to actually sit (not even necessarily enjoy...but would be nice) getting his hair brushed? Casey hates it! He even sees the brush he starts trying to bite it. If I hide it and then have him sitting by me and brush him just once he turns around and tries to steal it. My husband and I tried the pigs ear trick. He held the ear while I brushed Casey but Casey still wasn't too happy about it. He would chew on the pigs ear but would turn to look at me every time I ran the brush through. He is shedding something terrible and I think it is because we can't get him to sit and get brushed on a regular basis. Oh yeah we have the wire type of brush in case that makes any difference. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
YES YES YES! I just figured this one out! Coal is the same way. He would always be biting at the brush. What I did was coat the whole bottom of his food bowl with peanut butter. He licked the peanut butter the whole time and hardly noticed what I was doing at all! The only downside was that he had a peanut buttery nose and mouth afterwords but it was a MUCH easier brushing experience for the both of us!! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're talking about a slicker brush or a mat brush, that could be the problem.
I have had purebred shihtzu's and those types of brushes are ok for them, but not for a short-medium haired dog.
Pick up a "love glove" (sounds weird works great) it's silicone little nubs that grab loose hair and collect it. Plus it feels nice on their skin!
Also try to brush when he's tired, and make it a nice, calm experince, talk really nice and sweet to him while you're brushing..he will grow to like it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Brushing can end up being the best bonding time for you and your dog. But take it slow and massage their body from head to tail :lol: Just love saying that sorry. Anyway check out the whole body while like Tina suggested talking to him/her. This is a good time to check for things that might be a problem so learning your dogs body is a good thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When we tried to brush Cinnamon, she would bite at the brush too and then it would be play time with "try to get the brush" thing. I started to go with an obedience command of "Stand!" and then brushed her and she is fine with that. It's just one of those things I think they get used to and it becomes routine. Kind of like brushing their teeth. Now that's something she loves!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts