Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I was wonderng how everyone disciplines their doodles, my Puff Ball has been learning well since I have had him (lil over a month). He was instantly housetrained. Usually comes when called. Very well behaved so besides using a diferent (stronger) tone I have never had any issues.

Well latley he has been home w/o two-legged supervision while were at work b/c my girlfriend and I have been working similar hours this week. He stays with his buddy our 3yr old Eng Bullie, but seemss to love to tear things up. After the first incident a mess with socks, dog toys and ripped paper I laughed it off as cute puppy behavior. The next time several days later and plenty of other good days between he got a hold of some shoes and ruined a leather watch and some flip flops, I sent yelled at & sent him outside. He witnessed my Bulldog getting all the love and treats. I let him in after dinner and gace him a heart to heart. That was 3 days ago. Last night same thing and he got the watch off the Kitchen couter this time and tore into a tissue box BIG MESS, and I was only gone 3hrs. He slept outside that night.

Today i tried to Doggy gate him in the kitchen. He knocked down the gate. This time only scattered dish clothes and other random knick Knacks since i Puppy Proofed the house.

I know Doods hate to be left alone but how do I let him know I don't like this behavior and I want him to stop.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
If you don't catch them in the act, they don't "get" post discipline. Have you tried crate training? The only other thing I advise is puppy proofing the house. Trust me, I feel your pain on the destruction....been there and have pictures. I don't think Puff ball will understand why he is being made to sleep outside. I hope someone else here will have some good advise for you. For me all I've done is attempt to puppy proof, and if something gets destroyed....it's really all just "stuff".

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Dogs don't understand the post discipline. You have to catch them in the act for it to sink in. and then maybe a couple of times at that.

The best thing to do is make sure they don't have anything to chew on, including the home's wood work. A crate is good for that, they can't jump out of it or knock a gate over. I borrowed one for Cinnamon until she grew out of that stage. Just use it when you can't watch them, not for discipline.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH GREAT! That is not what I wanted to hear. I don't really have a good spot for a crate, but if that is my only option then that is what i will have to do.

Only things is that I don't crate my bully so I hate to be unfair. Do you think he will grow out of it. He's not even 7mths old.

Right when I thought Doods were perfect......

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
they are perfect, but every child needs boundaries!

I highly recommend to all my puppy parents to crate train or to xpen.

After your baby grows up some they can begin to get more space :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Dogs also don't understand "fairness". It's ok to crate one and leave the other out. It will save your home and also maybe Puff Ball's life. You don't want him to get into something while you're not at home that would potentially hurt him or your other dog.

We didn't have a spot for a crate either, we put it under the table in the kitchen. It stuck out a little, but that side was toward the window, so we got around it ok. I know a friend that took out an end table in the family room, put a piece of board on top of the crate and used it as an end table for the longest time. Funny looking, but it did the job! No lamps, but a good place to put your drink.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My Jonah has limited freedom in the house since 10mo, but it took some fine tuning and loss of all my chair cushions, kitchen rugs, stuffing from the couch (see my past posts). I fence off my couch/chair/plants in the living room, close off the bathroom/downstairs bedroom, and everything else...including mouse for computer are put away. Miko at 9mo (today) is still in her crate when I'm at work. I think it's going to be a while before I can trust the dynamic duo alone together in the house. She's fine with her 2 kongs and her bone and water while I'm gone. They do adjust, but if you're having destruction problems, you'll need to try the crating. They do have collapsible ones, or the x-pens fold up.

Good luck to you. Doodles are ALL perfect on the inside, it's buried deeper in some than others though! :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would not advise buying an xpen rather than a crate at this stage. We wanted to not have to shut Dante in a crate and give him a bit more room so we attached the pen to his crate. Dante learned to scale the xpen at 9 weeks. So now at 5.5months if we aren't home he is in his crate.

Heather

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Another vote for the crate. Sandy does WONDERFUL in his and its the only time he is content if I leave him alone. A few mornings when running to the bus stop I've left him in his xpen in the living room - I can hear him barking from the minute I walk out the door until the minute I get home - usually 15 minutes or so. If I put him in his crate he is fine, even if I'm home!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
A crate is the way to go....altho Raleigh outgrew his just recently, and he hadthe large one....I bought a nylon 'pop up' type crate...looks like a tent with windows....there's much more room for him in there to spread out..it's really no bigger than a large crate, just a different configuration....
Raleigh seems very happy with it, and hasn't tries to break out via the screens...YET!!!!! :shock:
Try this website...it's similar to this....and it's extremely portable from room to room...good luck!

http://petsafe-warehouse.com/dog_crates ... kennel.htm

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i could NOT live without a crate nor would have 2 doodles if we didn't USE crates!!!!

when left alone before a year and half old...any dog ususally will find things to get into trouble with. think of it this way: do you leave 3yrs olds to 10yr old alone? :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yet another vote for the crate. I would not raise a puppy without a crate, no way. Poor Puff Ball has no idea what you are yelling at him for nor does he understand why he is having to sleep outside. These actions are useless and will teach Puff Ball nothing. Please find room for the crate and everyone will be happy :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bailey is 7 months and spends the workdays in her crate.

I had never crate trained a dog before, so I was nervous about how she'd feel being "stuck" all day. But dogs don't think like we do, and she LOVES it. In the morning when I gather up some toys and treats, she races into her crate without a peep.

I keep it in a corner of the living room, and when I'm home I keep her toys in it with the door open. She'll often wander into to take a nap if I'm watching a movie or something.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
has anyone started crating a dog once they were older? we really never crated Dexter (he does have a crate though) since we were gone all day and thought it was bad to leave a dog in a crate for 9+ straight hours. He tore up a bit of the rug in the basement yesterday and now I wonder if he needs to be more confined? We will thing of something creative to deal w/the rug, but now i wonder about the crating...oh yeah...he's 10 months old.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all VERY MUCH. I really feel ALOT better about crating him up now. I really hate yelling at him, and he is the cutest thing in the world it is ABSOLUTLY impossible to stay upset at him. I guess it's redecorating time, good project for Memorial day weekend. I appreciate all the advice, I feel like getting a giant human crate to sleep in everyone makes it sound so wonderful :wink:

·
Registered
483 Posts
A crate is your Friend! The dog is in the chewing/teething stage, and you can limit his access to only approved toys while you are out.

I had a crate as an end table in my living room for 16 years. I got a cloth cover for it that was color coordinated with the sofa, had a plexiglass table top cut, popped a few knick knacks on it and nobody was the wiser that it was not a table until the dog decided to go in, at which point she raised the fabric, pawed the latch open, nosed the door ajar and took possession of "Her" space! I frequently found her when she disappeared because the fabric went in the door with her a bit....

Please note that I did NOT put a lamp or any other electrical appliances on the dog crate! I also did some plexiglass short walls to keep her from getting the dust ruffle on the sofa, and speaker wires that ran behind the crate. Nani Loved her crate!!!

It Really saves your sanity to know that you can come home to find your things where you left them. And no accidents on the carpet.

Also, dogs in ancient times nested in a den, and really do feel secure in a crate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts