Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping some of the more experienced doodle owners could help me with our doodle problem.

Dixie was sent home w/us on Science Diet canned and dry because she was so underweight...had diarrhea from first day. Vet put her on metrodinazole and c/d canned food. Diarrhea stopped, but vet asked us to change food to a food that was allergy sensitive since he feels she has allergies....chewing tail, feet and itchy ears.

We switched her to Solid Gold lamb and barley canned and she started to have semiformed stool. When we brought her back to vet he said to put her on a kibble now. So pet store suggested the solid gold wolf cub...so when we added that she immediately got diarrhea again. I thought it was because it was a different protein than the canned(it was venison and the canned was lamb). So I switched her to the hunden flocken puppy which is lamb and barley like the canned. She had semiformed stool but still soft. So for the last two weeks she has had canned, kibble, pumpkin and rice and has had solid stools. Except now she is pooping all the time and getting up through the night. I am wondering if I am feeding her too much.

She gets 1/2cup of kibble mixed w/1/2cup of rice, 2tablespoons of pumpkin and 1/4c of canned 3 times a day. She's 16lbs at 16 weeks. She devours the food at each feeding w/in 2 minutes.

I am frustrated because I would like to have a dog that is on all kibble. We live in Florida and are about to go through another hurricane season and it would be easier to evacuate w/ a dog on all kibble instead of a dog that needs food that is in need of refridgeration.

Could someone please help me! I am exhausted from getting up 3-4 times a night! I don't understand how she can start sleeping through the night then all of a sudden get up all the time!!

I appreciate all your help!
Gabrielle

·
Registered
401 Posts
i would suggest feeding 2 times a day breakfast and dinner, thats what we do and go 4 cups total in a day at 4 months and 5 cups total in a day at 5 months but no more than 5 cups total a day

hope this helps.

i dont know about what to feed the dog but when you were switching the foods did you mix the old food with the new food putting more new food than old at every feeding or did you just switch?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did switch gradually....very slowly! I just don't understand it!

Thanks for your help. I think it might be that I am feeding her too often!

Gabrielle

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Gabrielle,
I am not an expert, by any means, but my first thought would be to check with the vet...since you have already done that, I presume that the vet tested your puppy for intestinal diseases. If test have not been run, I'd take the pup back to the vet and get advice...or find a second vet to be sure that the first didn't miss something.
That being said, I have a favorite place that I find advice and I checked for "diet" for dogs...and the first article had some interesting things about over feeding...I thought I'd pass it along. The article is a good one, but much of it doesn't apply to your circumstances...so, take from it what applies and leave the rest. :wink:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1549

1 - 5 of 5 Posts