Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking on this board for a few days. I have learned much! Decided to come out of hiding and participate. All of your terrific and humorous responses convinced me.

The pictured Doodle will arrive Friday. I can't believe that it's been almost 33 years since I've raised a puppy. My wife, Jamie, and I loved our last dog so much that we could not get a new puppy until now.

About Puppy: Coming from Cowpounder Kennel in South Dakota. Born Sept. 9th. Wavy and soft coat. Described as laid back by breeder, Lorna Behrns. Can't figure out a name for this guy! We are in to boating and thought of Marlinspike (Marley or Spike for short) or Rudder. I think I will have to get to know him a little before I can choose a name.

About Me: Geezer and near retirement. Been married to Jamie since 1975. She is of course much, MUCH younger than me. I married up...she is also much, MUCH better looking than me! I live on a horse farm near the Chesapeake Bay. Looking forward to my new four legged friend that can go boating or trail riding with me. Maybe he can even help me mend a fence or stack hay.

Dave in Virginia[/list][/url]

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome Dave! We look forward to seeing you in the future with your new Doodle baby!

My hubby & I got married in '73, so we're right up there with you. We've had dogs all our married life, but it had been a while since we raised a puppy. A lot to learn again, mostly about the chewing stage that they all seem to go through.

Have fun with your pup!

(PS. without knowing him, I like the name Rudder!)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Dave and a warm welcome!

I just got my pup about a month ago, so I know how excited you must be. What a sweet picture - can't wait to see more!

I LOVE the name Rudder, both because of your boating background and because it is so unique. It would be a great dog name. Of course Marlinspike and the shortened versions are great too. Wish I would have thought of such great names!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Dave, welcome!
What a darling pup! You will have so much fun...but, um, about stacking hay...well, you might want to prepare for the pup tearing the stacks down! LOL
You are in for quite and experience...and a lifetime of love. Congratulations!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome Dave! You are going to have so much fun!! Remember, it does get better after puppyhood......tee hee hee.... :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland Dave
Our Denver is my hubby's first dog ever and my first
dog since childhood.......very exciting and such a wonderful
life when you add a doggie. All the best, look forward to more
pictures and comments from you and yours

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome Dave!!!
Woohoo More new puppy pictures, cant wait
such a cutey pie!! jest wanna pinch those little cheeks
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Doodles!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave. My DH and I are also near retirement age. We got our doodle a year ago and it has been a wonderful year. He keeps us on our toes. You're in for a whole lot a fun :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hellllllllo DAVE and JAMIE :D

Congrats and your puppy is gorgeous!!!!

I have 3 doodles now so Puppyhood really isn't bad at all, in fact it can provide much laughter!!!

Max is a labradoodle 17mos, Peanut 12mos old (tomorrow) is a goldendoodle and BEAU almost 5mos old is a goldendoodle

My fiance and I can not imgaine life without our doodles.

welcome and you'll find this forum to be fun, sincere, inforative and caring.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome Dave. I am sure your anticipation is mounting. It will be relieved by a ton love and fun soon, no doubt.

I think Rudder is a great name. Certainly unique and a great indicator of your boating interest. We have two Marley's in the fold so far, Mine being one of them. That is a good name two, obviously. :lol: Looks like a good looking dog. Look forward to seeing bigger pics.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
:D :D Welcome Dave and Jamie! :D :D
Congratulations on your soon to be new family member .... we did the puppy thing last year and now have 1 year old Ebbe and F1 Labradoodle!

This site is invaluable for tips, advice and laughs! Another great thing about owning a doodle!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Welcome Dave and Jamie!

You could name him Skipper since he'll take charge of your heartstrings fairly quickly. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DAVE and Jamie...how old is your puppy>?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. It helps with the anticipation of our new arrival. I'm not sure I am doing this forum thing correctly. I did not lurk long enough to figure it out.

I tried to private message everyone that responded to my intro. Hope I did not forget anyone! Part of the pm that I sent was that my 20 pound bundle of joy would arrive tomorrow.

MaxandMe asked how old is the puppy. I guess 20 pounds is large for a young pup. Well, Rudder or Marley or Spike (leaning towards Rudder) will be 11 weeks old this Saturday. He is a big boy. Just what we wanted! Thanks for the question Annmarie.

Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
He is a big boy... but a cutie pie!! We like the big dogs, eh, Denver???
Can't wait to hear all about his homecoming!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I vote for the name Rudder! It sounds much more like a boat term than Marley or Spike. Do you sail or motor? We have a couple of small sailboats (Sunfish and GP14) and some motorboats, plus kayaks and a canoe. My husband likes to say that we have a bigger navy than some small countries - nothing fancy or large, since we're on a small river and sail on a lake nearby rather than the bay. It's just that we've accumulated them over the years.

Your pup is going to adore horse manure and hoof parings, I've got to warn you! We take Chouette with us when our granddaughter has her riding lessons and she loves to investigate.

Chouette was more like 8 lbs. when she arrived at 10 weeks! Your pup is going to be a really big guy, for sure.

Can't wait to see pictures.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I guess 20 pounds is large for a young pup. Well, Rudder or Marley or Spike (leaning towards Rudder) will be 11 weeks old this Saturday. He is a big boy. Just what we wanted!
Yikes - Denver Darling, looks like someone is joining who may give you competition in the "largest doodle catagory".

I bet tomorrow can't come fast enough! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
welcome to the forum!
your pup is sooo cute, and I'm all for the name Rudder!
I'm also into sailing and riding- we have a catboat, laser, and a few other small sail/row boats whose types escape me currently. You'll have fun with your pup and the horses too, my doodle, Rowen, loved the horses and didn't bother them and surprisingly mostly stayed away from their manure!
Have fun and don't forget to post pictures of your puppy when he comes! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I love the name Rudder ...but will try to think of some more

WOW 20lbs at 11wks old........then again Max was 30lbs at 13 wks and now is 85lbs at 17mos

Congrats!!!can't wait to see MORE PICS and see more names or "the name"

1 - 20 of 104 Posts