1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be stirring something up here, and I hope that is not the case, but
I am very curious as to why AKC breeders and pet owners seem to have
such an animosity toward Labradoodles. Who wrote the book that says
only AKC registered pets are legitimate breeds worthy of ownership?

Sorry... I just get so upset when someone talks bad about doodles --
how could you not love them?!

Bryan & Sharon (Hershey & Charlie)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Many of the people I've encountered with my new puppy have heard of labradoodles and have an excellent opinion of them. When someone hasn't, I launch into the explanation about their being the result of the need to develop hypoallergenic coats for guidedog purposes, and that always interests people. It lends more legitimacy to them and sets them apart from the peekapoos and all.

It's a shame the name is so silly, but what can you do? When I took Chouette to the vet's last week, the office girl started to list her as a "lab mix," and I told her, "No, she's a labradoodle," and spelled it for her. So Chou is duly entered as her proper type.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at a friend's pool. She was somewhat disdainful of both the breed and the name, but she raises Rhodesian Ridgebacks and when she was explaining their origins to another guest I noticed that she described them as being bred from Great Danes and hounds and several other breeds. So what's the difference....except that Rhodesians are now an established breed which also breeds true and predictably. Doodles may yet reach that point, but then the problem is that you lose the hybrid vigor and often get inbred animals with lots of faults.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
WELL SAID!
There are probably lots of posts on various threads about this topic, so you might do a search if you want to read more opinions.

I LOVE the name! I guess it has grown on me thru the years, altho it does seem that people are putting all kinds of little dogs together with little poodles to have a "poo" or "ooodle" in the name. I know I'm very biased but all the mixes cheapen the Labradoodle or Goldendoodle, in my opinion. Yet they strengthen the acceptance of purposeful mixes don't they?

As you mentioned, Leslie, the Rhodesian got standardized by crossing several breeds, and if the goal is to standardize the coat, I think the cross of the LABRADOODLE to the GOLDENDOODLE might be the way to get such a standardization. But I do NOT prefer the name North American Retriever because I want the "doodle" left in it somehow! sigh. The fact is that if the AKC breeders hadn't done so much inbreeding perhaps there wouldn't be such a legitimate need for the hybrid of our Doodles! And with how everyone likes different looks in doodles maybe they'll never be standardized into one or two coats. who knows (?)

:D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Bryan
In a nutshell it comes down to MONEY
I have heard arguments from both Poodle breeders and Labrador
breeders that they are losing money to stupid people who want designer dogs. Bryan, you do not know me but that statement made to me
did not go over well and let's just say, well never mind, i really can not find a nice way to repeat what I said to them. I have since learned to ignore these kinds of people and their opinions. I used to take every
remark made about a Labradoodle personal, I mean how can you not
when I own one of the most sweetest wonderful dogs on this planet
and just want every one else to know how special they are. :wink:
Off my soapbox NEXT?????

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Sue, I'm afraid you are correct, to a point.I think there is also a POWER issue of control and superiority with the AKC. I hope there is NEVER a temptation for any Labradoodle organization to go there.

BUT....there is another way that money has ruined the "purebred" dogs:
In Labs and Goldens they are common and popular. And SO MANY people have thought the way to "make up" the cost they paid for their dog was to have a litter of puppies!

No testing
No permission/registration
Just wanting to re-coop their cost of a dog.

Or thinking their dog is so fabulous we just have to make more like him/her!

Unfortunately that still goes on, even with Labradoodles, but it really really runs down a breed and its genetics, for the sake of money.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hahaha! When I got Dakota home from his first vet visit I noticed the vet tech spelled it Labra-doodle. At least it was close!! Most people I talk to have met at least one Labradoodle and have good opinions. A friend of mine owns a hunt club and did not have a good opinion because it was a mixed breed. He later told me that all successful hunting dogs have been interbred, at some point, with English Pointer. I asked him why they still qualified as purebreds. His reply, "No one admits it!"
Diane and Dakota

·
Registered
260 Posts
i also think the 'designer dog' label has negative connotations like, "OMG i can't believe you spent that much for a dog", or, "how vain can you get, a normal dog isn't good enough for you", etc. this sentiment usually comes from people who a) don't know how much we spent, b) have never purchased a dog from a reputable breeder before so they don't know how much it costs for even 'non-designer dogs', and c) should mind their own business!

-em

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I explain to some and they so..."so a mutt!"....I always make a joke and say "shhhh, they'll hear you" or "we prefer oopses". People will be people...that's why I LOVE my doodles!! I try to ignore the ignorant, and dwell on the people who want to know everything about them.

The first thing my vet said when I got Jonah was "please tell me he's not from a puppy mill!" He is actually a very kind and caring vet, he cares more about the animals than their owners...some times his choise of words though.... :roll:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Ahahahahaha...Caught ya !! 'Choise'....are we learning French now Gene????
Spelled Choisie' pronounced shwa-zir...meaning to 'choose'....
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to misspell something!! hahahahahahaha....
..'Oicture', 'Camoin'...hahahaha...I think we're starting a whole new language here!!!!! And I'm the first one to admit that I type too fast and hit the submit button before I check out what I wrote!!!!! Then again, if we all did that, we wouldn't have so much fun! :wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I went with my Guide dog puppy in training to the AKC/Eukanuba champion show here in Long Beach in December and boy o boy!!!Trying to be politacally correct while representing the guide dog school and wanting to just give it to the "Poodle" people with their "why not to get a "designer dog" " info was about all I could stand!!! Here my sweet thing is in jacket, on the best behavior I could ever want out of a dog, let alone one less than a year old, and these folks would have thrown tomatoes or stones if they could!! The daggars coming out of the eyes would have off put the faint of heart, but not me!!! Explaining the whole 'bred for guide work' etc thing would not go over, so we left, with our heads, and long curled up tail, held high!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
alright Kari!! high five to you!!!

for me I ignore people like that ...and if someone says you mean a mutt i just give them my best stern yet confused look and don't answer. Like i am thinking a bit too hard hahahhahahhaaaaaaaaaa
sometimes I say , Excuse me? what do you mean? hahhahahhahaha!!!!

I do know they're gaining popularity here and people are now talking about how SMART they hear doodles are :D :D :D peanut also draws alot of attention due to her looks. While Max makes people wonder what the heck he is hahhahaaa

Gene we knew you aren't perfect but didn't want to say anything and hurt your feelings. Just like we let Kathie misspell away to her heart's content. :wink: and well Sue goes Camoeing whichs says it all :D
and as for me???
i am just a sweet humble smart dirty blonde :shock: :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You mean a smart, humble, dirty blond like this?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa HIGH 5 to you bryan aka Doodledad!!!
goooooood one!!! hahhaha

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only experience I've had (so far) with someone with a negative preconception of labradoodles was our trainer, of all people. (I certainly didn't know he held this opinion when we signed up with him.) He said he had only known one labradoodle previously and that experience was entirely negative and he had no use for "designer dogs." BUT, he said, that was before. He said Bigsby is one of the fastest learners he has ever worked with, he's a dog with a "zero learning curve", and he was changing his opinion.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, I venture to say that all breeds are mixed mutts
if you go back far enough!!!
Maybe I am wrong about that....
but many are, I know.
I like the fact that Labradoodles and Goldendoodles
are in a class all their own!!.....the American and Australian
......When someone says, "oh, a lab and a poodle-mix? you mean a mutt?"
I just say "yeah, a mutt called a Labradoodle!'
I don't care anymore what "they" think.....at first, I let it offend me, but not now. They just don't know anything about this BREED.

:roll:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts