Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all - I hope you and all of your Doodles are doing well! :)

I have a question regarding something I have never encountered.....
Last night, my husband and I had a few friends over and we wanted to occupy Bailey and our other dog, Sophie. I decided to give them each a rawhide bone. Sophie has had them several times (as she is 4) but this was a first for Bailey. Everything was fine at first - they each took their bone and went to a seperate corner of the room we were in (so I could watch Bailey with his rawhide). I let them have the bones for about an hour as I didn't want them to eat the bones.......I did this and Bailey went NUTS! He literally attacked Sophie and all heck broke loose! Within seconds my sweet little baby was a demon! :evil:
I expect some aggression from Sophie, because that is just the type of personality she has...but I never dreamed Bailey would fight with her - especially at only six months of age.

Is this normal behavior where bones are concerened??

Thank you so much for any advice or suggestions you may have!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Cooper is 4 months. I found out last week he can't have pigs ears. VERY possessive. He growled and barked at me when I went to take it away (not a nice bark either.) He will not get one of those again (maybe ever!)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Kim I 'm sorry to hear you had a fight - some dogs get really touchy with any type of food and rawhides/bones are food to them.

Annabelle has never shown agression like that, but we dont use rawhide bones, only nylabones. I dont know if she would with a rawhide or not.

When Emma and Macy (lab mix and lab) were here we had to put all the toys up before they got here because Emma sometimes gets aggressive if it's a new toy, so Shelle brought 3 old nylabones with her and they were all fine. Emma has gone after Macy when it was a new toy or bone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, ladies!

We have tons of Nylabones floating around and they are both fine with those and any other "toy".....have not tried pig ears and I am scared to now, LOL
I guess we will just stay away from the rawhide...it just kept them so busy and the break was nice! 8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KIM....that's the same reason my two doodles don't get bones in the past as that was the only time PRINCESS PEANUT became DEMON PEANUT hahahhaa
sweetest darn doodle there is Until....

anyway look at it like this: Bailey is like a 2 or 3 year old ok? and she was saying...WHAT? I am NOT going to share this bone. I want it!GET AWAY"
dogs can't talk like us so they growl ,snap, bark etc...HOWEVER it is also up to us to correct them to show them it's unwanted behavior. In reality they are a dog and doing what a dog's instinct tells them: keep the bone no matter what :wink:

we kept giving peanut a bone and/or pig ear in past and kept taking it away every few minutes till she got the hint: NO DEMON ACTS! she learned right away Max and anyone in this house can take it away if we want.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
WAIT!! DON'T GIVE IN!!
If you never repeat this situation (WITH TRAINING AND PREPARATION) won't your sweet Bailey think he WON?

Sounds like an area that needs training - and it's normal that one dog is "alpha" so to speak over the other, but if you avoid this, it's like spoiling a kid, and you are telling them they win if they bully someone else!

Please talk to a trainer and mention this specific incident. Bailey's at exactly a trainable age and this doesn't need to bother you!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We gave Kirby a really good treat in his Kong a few weeks ago and when I went to take it from him he growled and snapped at me. I was shocked. Jerry was there and we both turned Kirby on his back and rubbed his belly (submissive position). We did not hold him down or anything, but just put him in a submissive position.

I then gave and took away the treat over and over. When I took it and he didn't growl/snap we praised him. Then we let him have it for awhile and took it away.

We will give them Kongs in the morning when we leave and then in the evening. I make a point of taking Kirby's from him every so often to make sure we still understand.

I don't think Kirby ever had such a good treat before and was like "hell no, you're not taking this". We just had to set him straight. It's been good since.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Good for you, Leslie!
That's the kind of thing we do with all our dogs when we get them, whether adult or puppy. It's IMPORTANT to show the pup that they can trust you, and a treat leaving your hand WILL be returned, and that it's not acceptable to behave aggressively with food, kongs, etc.

Nobody has to abuse their dog to train them, they just need to love their dog enough to show what is acceptable and what is NOT.

that's my 2¢

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for ALL of the replies!

Vanessa - Initially, I handled it like this :shock:
Then, I calmly went over and took his bone (he did not growl at me)....
After I took his bone he turned into this :twisted: and went after my little dog. It was quite scary to see him like that....I took him off by himself for a little time out.

You guys are right - I cannot (nor do I want to) eliminate bones. They enjoy them and what a great break there are for ME!
I will definately work on this with him...he is starting classes next week so i will talk about it with our trainer as well.

All other areas of training are calming along beautifully....Bailey will sit, lay down, and come (most of the time)...both dogs also sit before they are allowed to begin eating their meals.....

Again, thanks for all of the responses....this board is truly awesome :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Everyone else provided such great advice I don't feel like I need to hardly add my two cents, but I can't help, so I will anyway. :wink: I OWN EVERYTHING and I make sure that my dogs know that I own everything. They have to work for everything they get and they are not even allowed to come in or go out of my house or yard gate until I tell them they can. You are taking all the right steps by working with your dog and ensuring that no aggressive behavior is allowed towards any animal or person. Working with a trainer and following through with consistency will take you a long way. It's all worth it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts