Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gus, my 11 m/o doodle, is terrified of inanimate objects. The funniest part of it is that he'll suddenly realize that "it" (trash can, yard ornament such as a bird bath, treadmill, shrub, you name it) is there and freak out, almost as if it has snuck up on him. He barks and growls so forcefully that he gets his front feet off the ground and he'll usually settle down after myself or Flash, his 21 m/o gsd mix brother, checks everything out. Flash is the top dog and is very protective of Gus and takes care of him. When I take Gus anywhere by himself he barks/growls at every single inanimate object and is a major velcro dog. Does anyone else have a doodle like this? I'm not sure if he acts that way when we are alone because he feels that he needs to step up his protection level of his mom since Flash isn't there or if he is just that worried because Flash isn't there. Does he carry on when he suddenly sees an inanimate object to let his mom and big brother know of the "intruder"? He is definately my noisy boy and makes all types of sounds but he is easily startled and is hesitant to go check out the offending object himself. Flash is fearless and will bound right up to it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahahaha!! Make a video...could get you $10,000!!!

Actually, my Lexie does this...not quite as bad...but if she sees something that surprises her (like if we air out the dog bed and hang it over our deck) she protects us and barks like crazy. We often wonder if it is because she has so much hair in her eyes that she can't see...LOL

My mother had a Yorkie who was terrified of paper products...if you fed him on a paper plate, all he did was bark like mad. Tooooo funny!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your story sounds like one of the episodes on the Dog Whisperer. (I LOVE that show.) Cesar would ask what you do when the dog acts scared...Do you try to calm and reassure him? If you are, then you are reinforcing this bad behavior. The show has great advice on handling all sorts of dog problems. You can rent the whole first season at Blockbuster. I have found that my dog responds quickly to his methods. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I catch that show sometimes, but, my mom is a huge fan. I'll try to rent Cesar's DVDs. I used the backpack idea (for the GSD that constantly chased its tail) for Flash and it helped substantially with dragging me during walks. Flash came from a rescue as well and we've spent months in training/behavior classes, however, despite making tons of progress, he will always have issues. He's a dob/shep mix so he is one of those dogs that DESPERATELY needs to have a "job". One thing that I learned right from the start was not to reward unwanted behaviors by consoling and
I don't reassure him unless it is something that he should legitimately be concerned about. I usually tell him to knock it off. Gus has a strong, deep bark that sounds really serious, but, he is a total big baby. Gus is just my noisemaker. Flash will make one or two deep barks, show his teeth and stand his ground, with Gus standing behind him. The two of them are inseperable and Gus is totally the adoring younger brother. Maybe Gus acts this way because Flash considers it his job to be the protector? Perhaps Flash is consoling him in some way by always coming to his rescue? The funny thing is that Flash is not really an alpha dog. He is a mid-pack dog who sort of stepped up to the plate out of necessity when my 10 y/o Belgian died last year. Gus is more alpha with other dogs but wouldn't dream of challenging Flash, even though they are the same size. Maybe it is some sort of pack role play.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you have your hands full. I just have only one very docile labradoodle who competes with the neighborhood cocker spaniel to be the submissive dog. They both roll onto their backs and try to scoot underneath each other! It is the funniest thing. I've never even heard Bandi growl, so I have no idea what you are dealing with. I just recommend Cesar because he is so good with those types of problems. And he makes it seem SO easy. I would have trouble handling 1 alpha dog, so I can't imagine a pack of 47 pitt bulls and rotts! But I guess that's what TV is all about!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts