Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a one year old Labradoodle who is as close to perfect as I can imagine a dog to be. We've never had any problems with chewing, housebreaking, or any other normal puppy behaviors. She has, however, also been extremly spoiled. My husband has been in law school since we got her and home with her throughout the day while I'm at work. However, he recently graduated and is starting work next week.

Do any of you have any advice on how to make this transition easier for my little girl?? She's never been left alone in the house all day, day after day and I don't want her to freak out.

Thanks in advance.

Katie, Bud, and Uma

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
congrats to you and your husband on getting thru law school! (and you both did it, too, I know!)

Can you come home at lunch for a while? I'm sure it would help with any potential anxiety.

The other thing you can do is FORCE YOURSELF to not have guilt feelings or anything that could lead to troubling pheromones that your pup could pick up on. Does that make sense? Be happy and positive when you are putting your sweetie in the crate in the morning or whenever you leave.

Oh one more item is to start putting Uma in her crate for a couple hours at a time and ignoring her between now and when you are both going to be gone.

I really think the best thing you could do would be to come home at lunch, but a 1yr old dog should be ok, physically, in a crate for 6-8 hrs.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ditto what Maureen said, but my other suggestion is to scope out a few doggy day care places to put your pup in 2-3 days per week - It might get a little pricey, but when your dog comes home exausted and "played out", you'll both get to relax after work a little more as well.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm with Kristen. Not only because of the energy expended, but the socialization is a big plus. Two days a week is fine with Ebbe. She gets tuckered out enough that the next day in the crate is welcomed!

It is sooooo easy to spoil these cuties, isnt it? Good Luck with Uma and Congratulations to both of you on your achievement!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I too believe that daycare is great for dogs who are the only dog in family. They love the social interaction. Our daycare offers specials...cheaper when you buy a month at a time, 1/2 hour days..up to 6 hours are only $6 per day.
Going every other day, all day, works well too.

I am sorry to disagree, but I could not put Tanner in a crate for 8 or more hours a day. Maybe I am in the minority but couldn't do it. Tanner does fine in an area that we block of with x pens. :) :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi :)

I definitely feel your pain. My husband and I work full time. Dexter got used to this early as a puppy. We were going home at lunch for him for several months - until he was old enough to be capable of holding it all day (until he was about 7 months old). He is very used to it now. However we are adopting a 2nd dog so we will be sort of starting over. Kirby is older but we want to ease him in too.

I would suggest starting to leave your dog alone for periods of time starting now to start the process. I would advise lunch visits for awhile if it's feasible. I felt guilty for awhile about it. Then I worked at home one day and Dexter literally slept ALL day. He would sleep...get up and move...and then sleep again. I realized that he really just sleeps while we are gone and isn't sitting there sad and alone.

We make a point to spend tons of time with him every night and on the weekends. He still tends to get tired quickly and sleeps more.

Daycare is a good option too.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We make a point to spend tons of time with him every night and on the weekends.
Our life also. Ebbe has been crate trained from the start and has never hesitated going in. We have begun leaving the door open at night and she still stays put!

One concern with Uma would be if she isn't crated ... or in a gated area; she may become destructive simply to vent feelings of loneliness or boredom or anxiety at being left by herself. Katie, whatever you decide, start now. It's not going to be easy, but as someone said to me when I first expressed guilt at leaving Ebbe each day ... "Dogs can't tell time".

Best!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulations on your husband's completion of law school...and to you! Maureen is right, it was taking a huge toll on you too. (I know because I graduated law school last year. :) )
All of these suggestions are so good. I will support them all.
In addition, I'd consider hiring a neighbor (adult or older teen) to come in a couple of times a day to take your dog out, play ball, give treats and loves. Maybe go for a walk.
Here is a good article on crating that gives time limits: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great advice. She has been to Puppy Day Care a couple times and LOVED it. I think bringing her 2-3 times a week for the first few weeks will really help her with this change.

thanks again!

Katie

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Katie

Welcome and good luck to all of you on your new ventures in life. If Uma likes Doggy DayCare, I'd def continue that as many times a week that your budget allows -

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keep them busy

When we went back to school and my dad got a job we just left the tv on 4 zoey so she fely lyk sum1 was there. She perfured animal planet the most we also got her more toys to keep her busy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts