Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give advice. I just got back from Puppy class and Cacao was trying to do her Doodle 500 in class. I took her for a 10min. walk, potty then class. Help!! Please! I have a week to get her to chill out. I know she loves other dogs and I think that is great but I want her to get more out of class. I have a feeling you all will tell me it will come with time. But any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
awwwww sounds like she just wants to play, how old is she now? I've read some people recommend waiting until 6 months - I'm sure those that have been to OS will be along soon

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...sorry I got a good giggle at that :)

Was it your first class? Our first few puppy classes were like a zoo :shock: Everyone got better after they got more used to it. I would try to get her some good exercise before the class...also, maybe try to get there a few minutes early and let her have some play time with the other puppies first? Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is 4 months old. So your right it could be her age. But.... :(

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was totally funny but yet I just wanted her to do what all the other dogs were doing. And yes it was the 1st class. But the other dogs are so chilled out and calm. Cacao was a doodle. lol :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
aww that is still PUPPY and full of energy, I really think that is normal puppy behavior, she sounds like a very social little pup - maybe she sees the other dogs as she did her litter mates, "playthings" ! :lol:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I second the "exercise before class" and "arriving at class early". Those really help get the initial "hard-to-control spazzies" out of the puppy! Believe it or not, I have to exercise Boo BEFORE we go to the dog park every day! (We run thru the park before going to the dog area. It was supposed to be a "walk thru the park", but he sprints because he knows where we're headed!)

Without the exercise, Boo starts knocking over the littler dogs and being rude to the big ones!

If your pup is an "only child", another thing that really helps is giving her regularly scheduled playtimes with other dogs. (Trips to the dog park, doggie daycare, playdates, etc.) Boo used to go nuts every time he met a dog. Its like he felt he HAD to play with them because he didn't know when he'd see another dog again. But now that he knows he'll see his buddies at the dog park, he can walk by another dog and be Mr. Nonchalant. 8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahhaaaaaaaa sorry but i am laughing here and at 4mos old, oh he's just a baby!!
YES they do get better with time.

and it could be worse, how about a 19mos old doodle (Max) going into turbocharge mode when he sees 10 puppies in classs.

we get to class 20min early so he's fairly calmed down by time class starts.

·
Registered
968 Posts
annabelles mom said:
O My, I can't imagine Boo being rude, he is too darn cute, what a face !
Ha ha, don't let the cuteness fool ya! The boy's got sass! The other night I was playing on the floor with him and he got too rough so I told him "No" and "Sit". He paused, looked me in the eyes, then hopped around me in a circle and yanked on my hair! :?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol. I will try getting to class early and more exercise before class. I know she is just a puppy. And you all are right I think she does look at the other dogs as her litter mates. So I will try that.

Cacao has a boyfriend. His name is Cabo. This is them in our living room having a romp. http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... 2190#92190

·
Registered
143 Posts
Samantha, it sounds like Cacao isn't quite convinced that she wants to be in the submissive position that she needs to be for training! What did they teach during that first class? I just did basic obedience training with Pixie, and in the first class the trainer showed us how to put our dogs in a submissive down, as well as sitting and heeling. After six weeks, I feel a much stronger connection with her - I feel like we understand each other much better. She's improved walking on leash 100% (she used to pull and jump constantly). But I still sometimes have to stop in the middle of the sidewalk and put her in a submissive down. She gets very excted and has a real independent streak!

I agree that a longer walk and getting there early are great strategies. I also always had treats in my pocket for class, and would break off a bit and hold it in front of Pixie, only giving it to her when she did what I wanted, and was completely calm and focused on me. That's what your ultimate goal is - you want Cacao focused on you totally, to follow all your commands.

I think you'll also find that pretty much every other dog in the class is going to act up at one time or another. I found in our class there were some dogs that were very energetic (like Pixie), and others that really didn't want to do anything. Sure, they were calm, but they had to be coaxed to walk around the room, lol. She looks and sounds totally adorable, once you have her paying attention you guys will do great.

If you want to try the submissive down - the point of it is to completely calm the dog, it's very much in line with Cesar Millan's philosophy of balancing the dog's energy. You want Cacao to reflect your calm energy. You place a hand on her head, and one on her shoulders, and gently press down (first on the head, and as it lowers, on the shoulders too) so she's lying down on her side. Then place your hands on her, fingers spread and pressing lightly into her, one hand on her side/chest, one on her neck. Stay there until she's completely relaxed, doesn't have her paws on your body, not looking at anything in particular...take off one hand, then the other. She should stay still until you say 'ok'. This can take 10 or 15 minutes the first time you do it, and I would recommend you do it with a trainer the first time. It really works both to calm the dog, and to establish your dominance.

She is really young, too - I'm sure she's going to end up doing great in the class. :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we working on getting her to see and "watch me". I would say her name and watch me and she would seat and watch me. I have worked on that and she is doing great. But I think she is still a puppy and she just wants to play with the other dogs. Is it to early to have her in puppy classes. The vet saidok, but. I know i need to give it time. I told my friend that also has a doodle that it must be the breed. She said that her puppy (just a week older then Cacao) did the same thing. He just wanted to meet and greet the other dogs.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't get me wrong I am not too discouraged but I was just hoping she would be like the other dogs. But she is a doodle....they are the BEST!

She is a GREAT puppy. I couldn't ask for a better friend then Cacao. She is the one right now keeping my feet warm in this really cold night we are having here. She is and always will be our little girl. I just wish she would chill out during class.....lol :D

G

·
Maya started puppy class at 4 mos old too. She got a lot out of the puppy class. Her first class she didn't do a doodle 500 but she did "army crawl" up to the teacher when the teacher wasn't paying attention and got into the treat bag!
What worked for Maya and I was to go to the dog park for an hour before class. She would run around like a monkey and play and get all her energy out so in class she was well behaved. If she didn't get her exercise she was always getting in trouble for getting the others all riled up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia was very good in our first puppy class at age 10 - 16 weeks. now at 6 months, i HAVE to take her to the park before our advanced class or she is too hyped up and can't focus. the key is not to get them too worn out but enough to get their ya-yas out. the classes have been great - now we're learning distance commands and advanced recall (thanks goodness). here she is in a down-stay being good when we were out eating! you can see her silver hairs coming in.....

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
the key is not to get them too worn out but enough to get their ya-yas out.
This is very good advice. We wore Dex out too much before one of his classes and he was in la la land - too tired to pay attention.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Getting her attention is the first step, we work on that too. The goal is to train them to disregard distractions, and stay focused on you. She's not TOO young for obedience training, I don't think a trainer would want to start younger but we did have several 4 month pups in the class. I think Pixie was one of the oldest actually, at 6 months.

Just keep working with her. It's like a muscle, little by little she'll develop the skills you're teaching her. Positive attention and treats will really help. I break tiny bits off a treat, so I could reward her many times during training but she isn't getting too much. Give her (and yourself) some time. If you work with her 5 minutes a day, within a month you'll see amazing changes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts