Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss as to what to do. Our 9 month old dood has been eating her poop since about 4 month old. I have tried forbid, Adolf's meat tenderizer, MSG, deter, proenzyme and SEP and nothing stops her from eating it. She doesn't just turn around and start eating it but will go potty and come in and then when she goes back outside, she will eat it (and not all the time but 90% of the time). She hasn't tried to eat our other doods poop but when she is at day care they say she will try and eat other dog's poop. It is disgusting and I want her to stop - does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I pick it up and put it in the trash. If there is none to eat in the yard the problem is solved. we can usually tell if a trip outside is for playing or #2 by her body language. Do you ever catch your dood in the act and reprimand and correct the behaviour?

when we come accross other dogs poop out and about i use leave it and give a reward. I kept doing that until she stopped even smelling other poop. That did take some time and consistent reward. Now she can run free and ignores poop all together. She will occasionlly go up to poop and sit next to it waiting for a rewrd, as if to say look how good I am, reward me!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do pick up the poop after they have been outside but my husband is not as diligent when he works from home as they have free roam of the house and yard all day long.

We do use leave it when we are out and about and she will leave it alone. She also will not eat her poop if we are out with her.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm not convinced that it's solely a training thing.

It sounds as if the dog may have a digestive issue, be trying to ingest more of a particular nutrient that is in short supply, or needs more of some microbe or beneficial bacteria. I'm NOT calling you a bad mommy, just noting that we are all individuals, and needs vary from one body to the next.

Have you considered a high quality probiotic? Personally, I'd be inclined to handle this more from a holistic standpoint than having the vet throw pharmaceuticals at it. But that's just me talking, I'm not suggesting that you embark on a course that isn't comfortable to you.

What does your dog eat? (other than poop) Do you provide any other supplements in addition to the regular feed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is funny you should mention this. That is what I keep thinking is she is missing something so I ordered acidolphyllis (maybe mis-spelled) yesterday and will put this on her food. Do you think this is enough or should I try something you know better? We feed them Natural Nutro Chicken and Rice for sensitive stomachs. We only feed them dried chicken treats as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bree has had loose stools now for 3 weeks. I have had her on Flagyl, Tylan powder, acidolliphis and dis-taste. Nothing is working to solidify her stools. We feed her Nutro Chicken and Rice for sensitive stomachs. Does anyone have any ideas on what to give Bree for loose stools? Could the food be causing a problem - I have heard Eagle Pak is good but don't know anything about it. Does anybody else have any other probiotic I should use?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I use Eagle Pack...have used it for diarrhea for my previous doodle. I think it is the best...tried Evo, Nutro but both were too rich. I used the salmon, sardine and anchovy (smells bad but dogs like it) when Hannah had diarrhea for 3 months ...only thing that worked, and it made a difference in just one day.

I have fed Tanner Eagle Pack Holistic large breed puppy now feed Eagle Pack Large/Giant Breed adult and it works very well.

Eagle Pack's website has a great deal of information...I also used the enzymes that they suggest when switching from a different food.

Here is their website...they have alot of good information available and you can also contact them via phone or email if you need more.
www.eaglepack.com/

I hope this iformation helps...

AnnieG

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KIM...PLEASE first bring in a stool sample just in case!!!!

max had roundworms initially and tho worm free has had loose stools for 7 weeks straight till i put him on a customized bland diet . He almost immediately had firm stools and still 10 days later. Peanut too got roundworms (normal for10wks old) and also had bad diarrhea with mucos like max, she now has firm stools. HOWEVER we have yet to get themboth on dog food again.

In the past we tried 2 kinds of innova, 2 kinds of nutro, blue buffalo and none have worked....I am trying canidae as of last night but not sure as time will tell ( correction nutro worked for 3 weeks till max got worms)

I have heard Eagle pak is good too.

Right now i am convinced it's not what I think is good...it's what the darn double duty doodles system will tolerate. hahahhaa
I do KNOW eggs gives both dogs the runs!!! still figuring out what else can be a possible food allergy or digestive prob.

OK Bland DIET:
CHICKEN i give more of with dash of beef or venision added.

I BOIL rice, ground beef, chicken, and venison ( all separately) ...then microwave yams or sweet potatoes
cott cheese 1 teaspoon added only to 2 meals, CANNED pumkin 1tbspn between 2 meals, soemtimes a dash of yughurt
1 omega 3 capsule cut open and squeezed in (1000mg tab) once a day only.
Additionally i give a dash of trout maybe a teaspoon once a day.

now I also give 2 papaya enzymes tabs once a day for digestion and inflamation but talk to your vet first

some pet stores mom/pop or health food dog stores carry digestive enzymes and also kelp for dogs...check it out if you have a chance.

Also once a dogs intestines are inflamed and or irratated it can 1-3 weeks or more to calm down. Metronizodale (spelling?) doesn't help us but does wonders for other dogs...an antibiotic for intestines.

PLEASE take in a stool sample checked to rule out parasites and so on. Yes bit of worry wort here but poor max went thru so much. And i hate to see anyone else go thru it too...been cooking for 9 weeks now.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I totally agree with AnnMarie....take a stool sample to be checked..

You might want to take several from one stool as giardia is sometimes hard to detect. I had Hannah on a monthly pill to prevent round worms from occuring again and she still kept testing positive. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Annmarie gives you good advice about the stool sample, and a couple of them won't hurt. Sometimes they pick a portion that doesn't happen to have any eggs, and the sample tests clean, even though worms are present. Also, try taking the sample at the full moon. Many holistic folks believe that the eggs will gravitate to the gut during the full moon and you will get a more accurate sample. (I'm just the messenger... However, if the moon can have such a profound effect on our tides, I'm willing to try it....)

I do use a non dairy probiotic, DynaPro, by Dynamite Specialty Products. PM me for details. It's a liquid, live cultures, I just squirt it on the feed for my dog and horses. Nobody has turned it down yet.

My own dog has just had a weeklong bout of diarrhea, and was cured at once by the diet that Annmarie is suggesting here. I steam 1/3 of a sweet potato, add 1 TB canned pumpkin, Dynamite Herbal Green, a handful of Dynamite Super Premium dog food (rated above the Science Diet you buy from the vet), a gel cap of Omega-3 oils.

The first meal was just the rice, sweet potato, Herbal Green and Omega-3. I also added a papaya chewable, but noted the warning about using when pregnant (Hopefully Deva IS pregnant!), so have not used papaya again. That first meal solved the diarrhea problem, so I've added the kibble and raw meat slowly and she is tolerating it well. She had a couple of raw chicken bones for dessert last night, and has not reacted to those, either.

The raw foodS diet is something that Deva had been on all her life, so I am continuing with it. My vet is apoplectic, citing E-Coli, etc. I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU TRY IT WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING YOUR VET OR DOING YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have taken the stool sample in and everything is fine. What happened to upset the digestive system is she got a hold of some hard plastic - the vet says it looks like a child's toy (don't have a clue where she found it as we do not have any children at home unless someone threw something over the fence). She threw up for 7 days and finally a week ago Sunday evening she threw up most of the hard plastic. I took the vomit and the stool sample into the vet and he did an x-ray of her stomach and said she still had a little bit of the plastic in her intestines but it looked like she would pass it and no blockage. He put her on flagyl or Metronizodale (spelling?) - it has never worked before on our other doodle and doesn't seem to be working now on Bree. He also told me to put her on tylan powder (medication to help with IBS). So far nothing seems to work and she continues to eat her poop (very yucky!) :( I have given her forbid, deter, proenzymes, MSM, meat tenderizer and now on dis-taste to try to get her from doing this along with continuing to have the diarreha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts