Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We are going on vacation at the end of March. Bailey is 5 months old now and by then will be neutered and 7 months old. He is almost housetrained but I hope by then it will be fully trained.

My question is whether to put him in a kennel when we go. Is he too young? I know I could have a neighbor come by daily and walk and feed him but I think a week is too long for him to be alone in the house. We don't really have any friends or family in the city that are dog lovers and would care for him. Plus, at his age, even if he is housetrained in my house I would hate for him to have an accident at a friends house.

What would you suggest or are there any other options? I also will look into see if anyone professional dogsits and has the dog in their home. Not sure if that type of business exists though.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've agonized over this myself. We decided Charlie was more comfortable in his own home. We had a petsitter come multiple times a day. She would bring her own dog who Charlie loves to see so he has some excitement. I'm sure he was lonely some of the time but I thought that better than being stressed.

Charlie was used to being crated at night so I don't think he noticed being alone overnight. This seems to be more of a human fear than a dog fear. During the day, he was gated in the kitchen. I didn't want him to be crated 20 hours per day! I also left him a special Kong or treat for each day so he'd have something to work on during his time alone.

Would your neighbor be willing to board Bailey for the week? Or possibly the neighbor could bring him over for some socialization and play time with their family? You should be prepared to pay well for this type of personal service but it is worth it.

If we are gone for a week again, I may ask the petsitter to take Charlie to Camp BowWow a couple of days so that he has some diversions.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
We normally take AB when we go away - only left her one time, we had several friends who came in off and on all day and evening to care for her, plus she had access to be in our out of house wiht dog door and fenced yard.

Either way Bailey will miss you - I'd do whatever feels safest and best to you

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it would work to have someone come over, even several times a day. Bailey is crated only when we go out, not at night. It would mean he would be crated for very long hours and at night which would (I think) be too new and stressful for him. Maybe when he gets older...?

I wonder if a kennel would be best as he would have romp around time with other dogs, and a large play area/sleep area. Plus someone to check on him all day.

My previous dog would have been fine for a day or two with just someone stopping in. But she was older and was fine loose in the house.

The first time leaving them is so hard...I know I will be full of worry but at the same time I know he will be ok. I expect their may be a setback in his housebraking and he might be stressed for a bit, but he will be ok.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
doodleheaven said:
I wonder if a kennel would be best as he would have romp around time with other dogs, and a large play area/sleep area. Plus someone to check on him all day. .
Has he ever been to doggie day care or a kennel? If not, you might want to initiate him now. It can be stressful to be with other dogs ALL the time. Be aware that any kennel is going to "crate" a dog overnight in some type of enclosure. You might want to get him used to the idea with crating at night.

There's a comfort factor knowing that he is in a safe place and will be looked after. Kennels can be basic or very fancy. Start doing some research and visit.

Good luck!

Deb

G

·
I travel for work and when I am gone for longer than just an overnight trip Maya goes to a boarding facility where they have daycare during the day. Maya will play all day and then just be in her kennel at night. She loves it and the place that she goes knows that I love my dog like crazy so they don't mind at all if I call once or twice a day to check on her. I would find a couple places in your area and take a tour of them and see what thier requirements are for boarding. Maya's kennel she had to be 4 mos old have all her shots and have a neg fecal test. She also had to go through an "interview" this was a free day and I needed to drop her off for daycare for the day to make sure she gets along and plays well with other dogs.

·
Registered
985 Posts
We wrestled with this too, knowing that we were going to be away for 2 1/2 weeks right around Chouette's six-month birthday. We had planned the trip before we knew we were getting a puppy. We were lucky enough to find, through asking people, a woman who did petsitting in her home. We felt strongly that we didn't want to leave her at the vet's or a kennel where she'd be locked up most of the time. I know that kennels differ, but that's what we have available here. So we went away fairly relaxed about it, and Chouette was fine. She was very happy to see us when we got back, though!

Leslie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Emily was 4 months old when i had to leave her for two weeks during Christmas. I found a very nice "pet resort' about 90 min from where i live. In my view key was lots of interaction. In Morris Inn where she stayed they took her for walks 4 times a day plus she had 2 'cludding' sessions plus a swim in the pool every day in addition to special treats. She really enjoyed it!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, petsitting in someone's home sounds exactly like what I would want for my dog at this point in his life. I need to look into it. I remember my breeder saying she knew someone so I think I will contact her.

The daycare/boarding facility sounds interesting also. With Bailey though, I know at the off leash areas he gets a bit overwhelmed when several dogs come up to him. One or two would be better. But I like the idea of a trial for him - that would reassure me if he did well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
A lot of time petsitters advertise on craigslist (just be sure to check their references), or word of mouth from other dog owners.
We have to leave Sadie for two days in July and I'm already stressing about it! The people we've found will do a full day for $20. Can't beat that!
I think boarding would be very stressful for her and she'll be happier in her own home.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Our dogsitter only charged $10/day, and she didn't add in the day of arrival or departure. I couldn't believe it. And Chou loved playing with her dogs, and sleeping in the husband's recliner at night!
wow that is really cheap! I would definitely consider something like that if I could find a price like that and someone I could trust...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I understand your struggle. I'll have to get my solution in place for this issue by the time summer rolls around. My husband and I like to travel and our family is all out of state.

I've been looking at the ABKA web site http://www.abka.com I thought this might be a good place to start looking for a reputable boarding facility. Several of these locations also offer doggy day care. Like someone suggested, I thought it would be less stressful for Baxter if he occasionally attended doggy day care the the same facility to get used to the people and location. Some of the locations have web-cams so you can check in on your dog. ( I like that idea!!)

You might use the ABKA website to search for a few locations near you. I've found a few reviews of facilities through "Yahoo Local" and CitySearch. Those can be helpful, too.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I have a hard time kenneling my dogs. I usually take them with me. But last October we took a trip. I had a friend from my office stay here...........it was so nice!!
I would definitely kennel him if you can't find someone to stay overnight. I think I'm going to work on my separation anxiety.......lol.....by kenneling Bogie once in awhile. We really want to start traveling and I don't think I can always rely on someone spending the night here.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA...remember i am NOT watching Bogie for a month :wink:

and i feel for all of you wanting or needing to travel. I have 3 doodles and the only way i'd leave is if i had someone live here while i was gone.

and right now ...i don't think Max could handle both Dave and I gone

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I called a few kennels and petsitting companies. I'm still waiting for some responses but needed to tell you about one:

I called a kennel close to us recommended by someone on my street. They apparently do well with young dogs. Their facility looks sparkling and their individual spaces for the dogs are large along with heated floors. Take the dogs for walks, allow free romping time in a fenced area, allow playtime with another dog if suitable. They also have an area for small dogs who might be overwhelmed with all the barking of larger dogs. Sounds great right!?!?

Well, the lady called me back. She asked what kind of dog I had and I told her a labradoodle. She went on to say that any lab she has boarded has always been very agressive but any poodle has been great. She then went on to say that she didn't know why in the world people would cross a lab with a poodle! I let that one pass by. I told her my dog gets a bit overwhelmed with a lot of dogs but loves to play with one or two at an offleash area. She then said, "well, why would you ever take your dog to an offleash area anyways?" Then, to top it off she asked for my dog's name. I told her Bailey. She said 'Well, isn't that an uncommon name'.
OMG!!! I was so insulted. YET, I still booked with her (out of fear that I wouldn't find another caregiver). I got off the phone and just sat there trying to absorb all she said.

I then read more of her website and realized she breeds and shows several types of terriers. Obviously she is a little insecure about our labradoodle babies becoming so popular and being such great dogs.
A lab agressive? Maybe if trained that way I guess. I grew up with labs and would have no other. I would much rather have a lab around my young kids then most terriers (please don't get me wrong, I love terriers and even considered getting one).

So I've been drafting an email to her that sounds polite but letting her know what I thought of her insults and why we are cancelling our reservation. They include:
1) Why a lab is crossed with a poodle (best of both worlds)
2) Why we have a lab cross with young kids
3) Why it is important for dogs to have off leash time as well as socialization - especially if one doesn't live on a large piece of land for the dog to run
4) Why we went with my kid's name choice of Bailey (even though it is soooo common)

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest. Why are some people so against the labradoodle?

lily

G

·
Lily:

You are very nice!!! If I were you I wouldn't give that lady the time of day!!! And as for daycare and Bailey only liking a few dogs. The places that I take Maya (Camp Bow Wow and Dog Club if Wilmington) asked during her interview what she prefers and if she has any "fear" (I use that word for the lack of a better one...I know Bailey isn't afraid but) issues with other dogs. Both places said it was no big deal if she did they have areas where they could put her with one or two other dogs that they know are non aggressive (ie their personal dogs they bring to work with them). You may want to ask the next place you call if that would be a possibility.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good for you Lily!

I'd certainly cancel the reservation and be very straightforward about the reasons.

People are strange about the "labradoodle issue".

Here's my favorite experience:

Before we decided on a labradoode, I considered a standard poodle. While speaking with a poodle breeder, I casually mentioned that I was considering a labradoodle puppy. From her reaction, you'd have thought I had just told her I was having poodle stew for dinner.

She launched in to a whole diatribe about "labradoodle breeders are just in it for the money; they don't care about dogs AT ALL; doodles have more health issues than any breed because NO reputable poodle or lab breeder would sell a dog to a doodle breeder, doodle breeders do NO health testing on their dogs etc , etc., etc....."

She then told me that her vet told her that he sees more cases or hip dysplasia in labradoodles than any other breed. She then offered her vet's phone number and strongly suggested that I give him a call.

I thought, "Why not...I'll see what he says."

When I spoke with her vet, he was very nice. He said that labradoodle breeders were much like breeders of purebred dogs. There are good ones and bad ones. Very simple. He also said that he had a few clients that were labradoodle breeders and he knew that they were very conscientious regarding their breeding programs. He said these clients were working hard to breed quality dogs and they only bred dogs that had passed all health screenings.

Of course, I asked for the name(s) of the labradoodle breeders that he felt were maintaining a high quality breeding program.

Here's the cool part...

He gave me Rochelle's name and number (my breeder). I had already spoken with her a few days prior to my conversation with the vet about getting a puppy!!! So...the nasty poodle breeder's vet only confirmed for me that I was on the right track by selecting Rochelle as my breeder!!!

Somehow...it seemed poetic.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, I'm glad she put you onto her vet. Got all the reassurance you needed, especially regarding your breeder. Priceless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts