Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since our golden retriver Chloe is mending from a broken leg (metal rod on the outside of the leg with 4 pins inserted in the bone to stabilize while healing) our doodle Murphy has had to be in another part of the house, separated from Chloe. Chloe is supposed to stay as inactive as possible and is spending time in crate unless someone is supervising her. Whenever Chloe and Murphy see each other they both think "play time" therefore they have been separated. Last Friday night Murphy was in our bedroom and had access to our bathroom. I had cleaned out my purse and left a brand new package of "stride" gum behind the sink faucet which Murphy discovered and ate the whole package. I checked on her after a short while and found just a little bit of green paper and clear wrapper. My daughter warned me that the artificial sweetner in it was bad for dogs. We looked it up and found this: http://www.post-gazette.com/pets/ , we induced Murphy to vomit right away and I spoke with our vet. He advised me that if we were able to get her to vomit right away, she should be ok, but we have to watch for any signs of becoming lethargic or vomiting. I just wanted to make sure that everyone here is aware of how bad this can be to dogs, and it is something found in a lot of items. I am going to quit buying anything with this ingredient. So far Murphy is still her normal active goofy self.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we looked that up online too - we used hydrogen peroxide, 1 teaspoon for every 10 lbs, fortunately I had just had Murphy into the vet and she weighed in at 61 pounds. I put the hydrogen peroxide in a bowl and Murphy started to lap it right up but at about half empty she started to gag and would not drink any more so we added a little bit of water and poured it down her throat and she threw up almost immediately.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Thank you for this post, it the reason I posted People food as I read your link and was shocked at what some people food could do.
I am going to be even more vigilent. Thanks again

·
Registered
126 Posts
No more gum in this house either - since Charlie finds everything - also did you know that gum never never disintigrates - it is not biodegradable - why do we chew it? -

·
Registered
126 Posts
I hope your Chloe will be ok - I had my cocker spaniels knee rebuilt once and that was a long process but it came out perfectly - Good luck to Chloe and you.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I had a Rott mix that broke his leg and had a rod like you described. I had a small laundry room at the time - just big enough to turn around in and that's where he stayed untill healed. I think it was the longest month in my life!! Seemed like he was always crying to get out the first week. He had direct eye sight to the kitchen, so we could talk to him and we would pet him when we were in the kitchen. Made it tough to do the laundry though! Not much room left for me to do "my thing!" He was a big baby and the kids were still pretty young, so he got a lot of attention. But I know where you're coming from about the ativity level. They just don't understand why they can't go out and play!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I did not know this.... in particular I like the line
"does not seem to cause a problem in humans"

well consider that ingredient out of MY diet completely too. YUCK

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Chloe!! How did she break her leg??
I hope all heals perfectly and quickly!! Thanks for the articles about Xylitol, etc. Strange about the grapes and raisins......I knew that, but still baffles me.

Hang in there during her confinement.....This too shall pass!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts