Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I will be traveling for a weekend coming up soon and need to part with Casey for the weekend due to the fact that the hotel we are staying at doesn't allow pets (plus we will constantly be coming and going). So we have been going back and forth about imposing on a family member or friend and we have someone who is willing but we aren't sure what we want to do given the fact that Casey does still have an occasional potty accident here and there. Plus this family member has 3 cats and one dog (Chihuahua) of their own and that just seems chaotic. So we have been looking at this new "Pet Lodge" by our house. Not sure if anyone is from Minnesota but if so, have you used this Lodge or know of anyone who has used this Lodge? Or for some of you like Jac, Lee Ann, etc. would be willing to look at the website and give me your thoughts and/or suggestions I would sure appreciate it. I am a new mommy and I think the place looks nice enough but I worry so. :? Casey is 5 months (well will be on Thursday!!) and he is current on all shots including rabies, etc. I just want to make sure he is happy because he is the cutest and best pup ever!! Here is the website... http://stonemountainpetlodge.com/index.php

Thanks!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
The site looks great. I now when i went away for our honeymoon, i was stuck with the same decisison. Finally we decided to put our dogs in a kennel, and have my mother once in a while go take them out herself for walks and a break to her house. This worked great. I would however, if you have time before going away, take them for one night, or even a few hrs to get used to it. Than they also know that you are coming back. Make sure your dog is up to date on kennel cough vaccine as well (if you choose a kennel). And I would ask if your dog will be turned out with others or not. (in a large run ect for exercise). I would make sure that it is okay to call there daily and talk to someone regarding how your dog is doing, when on vacation, I called many times and it is reasuring to know they are ok. I found it reasuring to know that even if they were upset with me for locking them up (i felt like it was doggie jail), I would now 100% they were fine. I was so scared they would slipp away from someone, or get loose out of the barn ect. It is
hard to go away and leave them, but much easier if you feel good about where they are going.
Good luck
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Bubblyb!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your confidence in my opinion.

I did check the web site and it looks great. My only reservations are that everything seems to be under construction...but I like the "drop in any time" policy, that tells me a lot. I also like the customer comments. I think you could ask for more information from past customers...I'd also check to see when the web cam will be up. That is a great idea! You can keep an eye on Casey and see that he is happy and healthy.

Be prepared for a few paw troubles with the gravel if Casey is not used to it. There have been posts on this forum about that.

Otherwise, it does sound very nice. I like that they say they give attention to your pets. That is an important factor, in my opinion.

The main thing is that Casey will be safe, cared for, and played with while you are gone.

Enjoy your time away!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a really good friend in Jordan MN (Minneapolis) that would probably watch him for you. She is the one that helped me set up my website... when I drove up there to get my wire haired doxie. Please e-mail me for her direct contact info; meanwhile I will check out the link you provided.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, update any all shots (bordetella and 5 or 7 way puppy shot) if he has not had any within 14 days of kenneling. Do this 3-4 days before you leave. Carol would keep your dog in her house if she watches him. This is her whole life and all she does. Now I will check your link, sorry, I read the other posts instead!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My sister and best friend kennel in a place like your link and they LOVE it. I prefer a home environment so it is not so stressful/loud on the dogs and they can get more lovin' while you are away.

Also, when you call to see how your baby is doing you speak with the actual caregiver, not the receptionsist whom has probably never even touched your dog except to take him back to the kenneling area. Just some thoughts.

If your puppy is under 20 weeks of age I would under no circumstances take him into a big environment like this because his immune system is not developed enough at that age and he is susceptible to any and all contagious diseases. If you have friends and family that have offered I think I would go with that route if he is still a puppy.

Good luck and have fun on your trip. Call or e-mail if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I always know I can get a lot of help with my questions here. I am going to take a look at the kennel this weekend, but do have a friend now, that is begging me to take Casey and she would be great with him! So just for future reference I will take a look at the kennel but for now Casey will be hanging out with my friend and her dog Bodo. I'm sure he will have a blast! Plus I will be more at ease. Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts