Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last night I came up with what I thought to be a brilliant idea. Since on Tuesdays Napa is home alone for at least 8 hrs, with neither of us being able to get away from campus to come to him, and Friday being another longish day, I thought the perfect thing for us to do for Napa would be to send him to doggie day care. Most have said that after they get their pups back from day care they're exhausted for a while.... is this true? Plus, I'd really like it if Napa had some doggie friends since I can't afford to get him a sibling. And even though we're living in an apartment complex that's dog friendly, any dog he meets on the complex just walks away and we can't make friends.

But, this also leads me to another problem.... do you think its a good idea for Napa to be getting so much exercise with at the bare minimum his front leg, which isn't corrected, and then add it the hips. Are there home remedies that could help protect his joints?

I was trying to walk him, but on tuesdays, Anthony and I are out of the house by 7:30, and I must admit, I'm not at all happy about the fact I've got an 8am class as a senior, so I really try to not wake up on time.... Also, we haven't had time to get him over his separation anxiety that's gotten worse. When we get home from even a 4 hr or less stay in the crate, he's drenched in his own saliva from panting, and there's a puddle on the ground. I think if he didn't have to stay in the crate so long on Tuesdays it would make things better, and this weekend we can begin training him for real to be in the crate.

Sorry this is so long, but there's a lot behind this decision.

Thanks so much, friends, any input is always welcomed!

Kristen

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would probably be a little hesitant w/his front joints still not being fixed. Can you ask your vet for his/her advice? It's possible Napa has learned to limit himself based on his abilities? I do think he would have a lot of fun at daycare so I would really talk to your vet...

If daycare is not an option you I wanted to tell you that both of our dogs have adjusted to our work schedule by keeping a very set schedule...we are up with them at 6...1 mile walk...breakfast around 6:45...out the door by 7:30-7:45...home around 5. They seem to do great when we stick to this. Kirby does not want to go in his crate in the morning, but he goes. However when we try to crate him in the afternoon/evening (on a weekend) he is much more unhappy. It seems he has accepted the schedule. Good luck - I know it's tough. It's possible Napa would be more happy confined to a small area instead of a crate - it worked well well Dexter :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Does Napa have any activity restrictions?

Charlie is at Camp BowWow today. I watch him on the webcam and basically he is on his feet most of the time but he is not doing much jumping or running. CBW does have a lounge where older dogs and over excited dogs can rest. Perhaps you can find a day care where they will make sure Napa gets some rest time? I'd call around and see what is offered.

Deb

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas also goes to daycare on our long work days... or really rainy spells... He loves it! I was cocerned about too much jumping, so they put him with the small dogs, so to limit the rough housing... they also have nap time in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosie is home by herself for long stretches, too. We have an x-pen attached to hear crate so she has a little "yard" to stretch out in but can't chew up the house. I also stick to a routine and I must admit it hasn't been the easiest adjustment but I do it for Rosie. I get up at 5 a.m. and we go for a 3 mile walk. Home at 6 and I give her breakfast. The rest of the family gets up at 6:30 and is out the door by 7:10. I am the last one out and I take Rosie for a quick potty walk at 7:30. Into the x-pen she goes and I am off to work. On Saturday and Sunday, I still get up at 5 for our walk, I feed her and then I put her in the crate (the x-pen is only up when we go to work) and I go back to bed until 7:45.

I found that life is so much easier when everyone (including Rosie and my daughter) knows what to expect. I also make sure to give Rosie a nice walk once I get home because she has been cooped up for so long.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds to me like this site is full of great dog owners. Everyone pat yourself on the back for being such great role models for future and new pet owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts