Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well seems there is a new therapy program in rochester now

So Max is going thru formal obedience training again and repeating the beginner class as we were unable to complete it last year due to a health problem I Had!!

i am praying he can complete training this year to make it to Good Citizen!
as if it works out, Max will go to nursing homes as to-date he's great with elderly people, depressed people and anyone really injured.

There is much training involved! as peanut matures we'll see if she's a good canidate for the same training but for kids with cancer.
This is a busy year for me hahahaaa as Beau and Max are now in training classes. Beau for good manners and listening skills :wink: hahahhaaa!

is there anyone else who is doing therapy or attempting the training at the moment? just curious

AND if it works out for us great, and if doesn't so be it. I love Max no matter if he's a mamma's boy or can help out others to feel good about themselves

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
YES MAAM! :D ABBY will be doing two jobs. Since my Doctor approved a service dog for me and my wife is an Occupational Therapist. The girls will be working with adult CP clients as well as ALF visits where my volunteer wife conducts exercise classes. Imagine a Doodle in exercise classes :roll: If I can teach her to stretch on command I'm sure it will be inspirational :idea: We watched a Petsmart puppy class today it was fun. I'm looking forward to watching the girls go through the training (I'll be lurking) together. Sounds like Max would get along great with all MY FRIENDS :lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I am interested in some type of service/therapy training for Charlie but he is still too mouthy. It wouldn't be good if he gnawed on the clients/patients. :lol: We will look into in when he is a big older. One of his friends, a big old Newfie, is in training as a therapy dog at a school. His mom/owner is a social worker there.

Meanwhile, Charlie will start agility training in another week. The discipline should be good for him. Since we've had Lucky, we've been reduced to the basics.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max is 18mos right and originally i was going to wait till he was at least 2yrs old ....BUT i figured the training takes a while and we're going to go slow and she how Max does as this is not a necessity and also MAX has to enjoy this or i stop after this refresher class.

I have done volunteer work my whole life and have also been priveledged to have known people in their 70's to 90's. They get lonely at times and a dog sometimes has just that little extra unconditional love that goes a long way for some. :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh HOW COOL!
I was walking Bogart today on some icy sidewalks and thought how it would go if I fell on my arse.........(I had back surgery from and auto accident)...............and then I got to thinking how great it would be to get him involved in programs like you're talking about.
I absolutely would LOVE to see this in his future!
How do I start?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hey Annmarie!!!! That is exactly what I am going to do with Dakota!! Talk to Jac; she can educate you on all aspects of service dog stuff. You can train your dogs through any program you choose. In Sacramento, there is a training center that specifically trains dogs for therapy and that is where I am trying to enroll Dakota.

This is a link to the Therapy Dogs International site:

http://www.tdi-dog.org/tditesting.html

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Diane !! a few places here(in NY) for therapy are really strict as i was looking into this in the past just in case.

I also know a woman who breeds and uses her rottweilers for therapy, might pay her a visit soon.

and thanks for link...as i always have to do internet search

here's hoping this is someone MAX likes
otherwise it's a ok for him to stay home with me and do doodle runs with peanut and beau :wink:

OH just to let you know, there is also a "search and rescue" training some do with dogs
( Dave is trained in 4 areas of rescue....he should have been a doodle hahahaaaaaaaa)

jac is busy moving right now and i will wait a short while before asking her

HOW is everything going for you...does this mean agility is on back burner now?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Diane that would be sooooooo wonderful ! I hope it works for you and Dakota

I wonder if Miss AB will ever calm down enough to her become a therapy dog - it would be fun - our local hospital will allow dogs in , at least it used to

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh look at Dakota - that is such a cute photo

I wonder if Miss AB will ever calm down enough to her become a therapy dog - it would be fun - our local hospital will allow dogs in , at least it used to
I don't think this is in either of our doodle's future - Kirby is too fearful and skittish and let's just say Dex is WAY too exhuberent :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Want to wait and see how Ebbe is as she approaches her 2nd birthday, but I would love to involve her in a children's reading program.

Books have been a part of Ebbe's life since we got her (used to read her to sleep when a tiny pup) and they are a HUGE part of mine.

I intend to talk to her trainer about various programs and to see if she might make a good canidate!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually they say sometimes a dog well trained in formal obedience, agility, k-9 and so on MAY NOT be a good therapy dog :shock:

it is MORE the temperament/nature of the dog and how they're around people or kids.

MAX is 18mos right now and he'll be well over 2 yrs old before we complete training. I wanted to wait till he matured to see if this could work out with nursing homes and such
Peanut ....is great with kids but i can only do 2 dogs a week with training right now. Beau for basics, max for refresher to move on. peanut seems to watch what i do at home with Max in past and now , and just follows suit easily doing the training at home daily with me

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW DIANE!! that is such a great shot
GENE , you and I have studying up to do on our cameras now hahhaa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts