Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all you experienced dog people. I have a question. Having Frenchy here this weekend with Coal has made me notice big differences in their personalities. Frenchy is much more attentive than Coal. When I call her, she usually comes to me. Coal.... well.... not so much. Frenchy will retrieve a ball over and over again. Coal.... well.... he usually runs after the ball and may pick it up but doesn't usually bring it back to me unless he is in a really playful mood. Coal is much better at calmly sitting down when the command is given. Frenchy seems more excitable in all aspects. I guess my question would be, what does this mean?? Does it make one or the other a better or worse family pet? Would Coal be classified as having a low prey drive? I am clueless about all of this and I love the pup whatever he is but I was just curious (and I wish he would play fetch!).

·
Registered
377 Posts
You have pretty much just summed up the great debate of the sexes. It is a grand generalization in the dog world that the female has the stronger attention span and that the male is the more laid back. Now there are many many many contradictions to this rule, but it seems to play true in your household. Neither makes the "better" pet...just different. Coal can learn to fetch with the right coaxing, but Frenchy (with that look in your eye attentiveness) will be easier trained. Coal is just a bit slower to decide. :wink: To get Coal to play fetch--wait until he is hungry and throw the ball. As soon as he picks it up start telling him how great he is and bend down with a treat. When he comes to you, grab the ball, give the treat and repeat. With Toby, I have to start that insane "oh he's soooo good, he's mama's boy, what a good..." as soon as he picks up the ball. Sometimes he still takes a good while to return to me, but most times now he's got it. I think he's ADHD - so everything takes a lot of urging to keep him focused. The good news is, once these less attentive creatures get it, they've got it. :D Good luck.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just give Coal some time, he'll be fetching in no time :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts