Labradoodle Forums banner

Does your dog suffer from doggie discrimination too??

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I take Dakota (F1 LD 9 months old) to a park or to the Pet Store with me..I am suprised how other dogs react to her. She gets alot of mixed responses. My hubby and I joke that the other snobby purbreds are snubbing her. It's like they know she is part lab/poodle...sort of like doggie discrimination. The little dogs act like they want to eat her and the big dogs seem okay with her. She gets along well with most labs. My neice has a lab and they romp and play nice..but I don't trust her with small dogs. If they go into the attack mode she reacts like she might go for them and it scares me. Does anyone else have this?? I'm wondering if is it good to take them places so that they get used to other dogs..sort of a desensitizing thing or too risky? I do recall our other dog (Lab) chasing and scaring strangers and she turned out to be the best dog socializing/people friendly animal on the planet. She had tons of restaint when she needed it. We have Chincillas and birds and they would hop around on the floor and she left them alone. I would never leave Dakota at this point with them. She looks like she wants to have them for lunch. Does maturation/old age mellow this?? I hold her back from the little dogs ..I am afraid she might gobble them as a snack!!
Cathy

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We had a romp here and there were 15 doodles and not one seem to mind another. They all got along and played well with each other. I go to training a lot and see many dogs get in to it. One of the things you can do is when other dogs are around is keep her from making eye contact with them this is usually when something will get started. Also it is good for them to be socialized with other dogs.

I was watching Oprah the other day and she had a trainer come to her house when she was bringing new pups home and he said that the best way to introduce dogs to each other is letting them :oops: smell the rear end of the new dog. :oops: Anyway it makes since we try and put them face to face and it should be face to rear end. :lol: Face to face is like confrontation to them, at least till they get use to each other. He said this is how dogs get to know each other is by smelling each other. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice..thanks.. I will do so! People do get friekd out by the sniffing. I will let them know they are getting acquainted!
Cathy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thinks the poles only last for a few days..you missed your chance. I voted for the fun of it. Not sure anyone else noticed. I was playing around with the computer!! :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.