Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Pup is arriving tomorrow.. Very excited.. The breeder has been feeding him Nutro Max for large bone puppies..
Is anyone familiar with that brand.. ?
I will be feeding him 3 times a day.. morning, noon, and dinner time..
He will 12 weeks old when I get him..
Can someone also please recommend the serving size for each meal?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! We will want to see lots of pictures!!!
I'm not familiar with Nutro, but if your breeder is using it, you could start by asking him or her how much your puppy is eating right now. Also, most dog food brands (especially the premium ones) will give you a guide to go by. I started with that, and just divided it into three equal meals while Tyke was eating three times a day. I found it to be a learning process, and would watch to see how much she ate, and adjust accordingly. Whatever was in the bowl after about 20 minutes was taken up, and I'd reduce her food a little for the next meal. When she became more active and seemed a little hungrier than usual, I'd increase it a tad. I guess the best advice is to start with your breeder's recommendation or the food manufacturer's instructions, and watch your puppy to adjust the portions if you need to.

Hope you have many wonderful years with your new doodle!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
NICE to meet you and CONGRATS!
any names picked out yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pick him up at the airport tomorrow.. The name I picked is Dakota.. Because he is flying in from South Dakota..:) but from what I hear, when I see him i'll know if Dakota fits.. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nutro Max didn't get a very good grade at http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com mostly due to the large amounts of hard to digest grain in it (corn). However, you'll probably want to slowly switch your puppy to a better food so still pick up a bag of what he's already on.
Do your research and decide which food will be best for your puppy. Some dogs have sensative tummys and some do okay on just about anything.
I got Sadie at 12 weeks and she only at twice a day. However, as already stated, food amounts will be indicated on the bag. Your puppy will do fine. Can't wait to see him!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver started out on Nutro Max as that is what my
breeder was feeding him. His poops became runny after a few
weeks and after talking to the vet he was switched to Canidae.
Everything improved right away so we figure it was the corn.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, welcome and congratulations!
We fed Nutro Max to a litter of pups and it was too rich for them...caused very runny poop! Yuck!
My dogs all eat Canidae.
You have been given great advice by the others...so I'll just add...
I'll look forward to those pics too!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max started on Nutro but i am with SUE and JAC
all 3 of my doodles are on Canidae with success but who's to say your doodle wont' do good on Nutro

Congrats

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
after going through a few food changes w/Dexter...I think you should keep your new puppy on the same food and see how it works. It may not be the highest rated food, but in the end, the food needs to agree with your dog. We had Dex on Iaams when we got him and he was perfectly fine and then we started searching for more high quality foods and that's when we started having issues. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Riley eats Nutro max for puppies (the purple bag, not the large breed version) and her weight gain and growth are on par per the vet. Her poops though have started to get a little soft..not runny, but not as firm as i would like. She also has a slight case of dandruff combined with itchy skin...so I have been contemplating switching food to Canidae.

Unfortunately we just bought a huge bag last week (figures) so I will wait to switch unless her poop gets worse.

I have also heard that on Canidae there is a lot less poop since there is less filler in the food...something to consider as our pup goes 4ish x a day!

·
Registered
576 Posts
dreamer728 said:
Riley eats Nutro max for puppies (the purple bag, not the large breed version) and her weight gain and growth are on par per the vet. Her poops though have started to get a little soft..not runny, but not as firm as i would like. She also has a slight case of dandruff combined with itchy skin...so I have been contemplating switching food to Canidae.

Unfortunately we just bought a huge bag last week (figures) so I will wait to switch unless her poop gets worse.

I have also heard that on Canidae there is a lot less poop since there is less filler in the food...something to consider as our pup goes 4ish x a day!
Sadie goes three times a day on the Canidae. So, perhaps a little less poop. :wink:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oh i meant less at each poop, not necessarily less times :D

She makes an astounding pile about twice a day, the other 2 times are smaller.

:oops:

G

·
Bella was on Wellness as a puppy. She loved it, did fine on it and it is good quality. I switched to Canidae when she went off puppy food to adult food because it was around the time of the dog food problems and I did not like the answer I received from Wellness when I asked a question. I asked a specific question about where their food was made and got an answer that their food was not contaminated so I had no need to worry. :roll:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts