Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this hullaballoo about dog food I have been on a mission to find a great one. We used Innova Puppy Large Breed he loved it but his SBD"s were sooo bad my husband banished him from the bedroom :?
Then we tried Canadie and his poops are perfect, no GAS but, he could take it or leave it. It takes him forever to eat it so I started taking away his bowl in 20 minutes hoping he would be starving at the next meal..no go. I think he is wondering if he holds out long enough will I change his food 8) he's right I am looking for something that makes him "want" to eat...he's so spoiled (but, they all are).

Our Pet Food Feed store is amazing and its 2 blocks away with every brand you can think of and more.....she sent me home with samples enough for about 4-5 days. The woman that runs it is a Dog Nutritionist (not sure where you go to school for that??). She said that some ingredients are listed first with a "MEAL" meaning all the water content has been taken out of the lamb, chiicken, beef etc.; the "WHOLE" thing is ground and compressed into kibble. She said "MEALS" are great but, they lose some of the flavor by being done that way and that is why with "MEALS" you will often see a "Meat" product next on the list and that adds flavor. Canadie starts with a "MEAL" and she said to try something with a "MEAT" listed as the first ingredient and he may go for that. She said the only setback to MEAT being listed first is that once the water content is extruded then you have about 30-60 % of the actual meat in the kibble which would then make it 3rd of 4th on the list. She said the most important thing is to check the Protien and Fat and she game me guidlines for the Large Breeds because you do not want the bones to grow faster than the muscle and slow growth is optimal.

I brought home samples of
Solid Gold Wolf Cub
Solid Gold Hound and Flocken
TimberWolf (All flavors)
California Natural
and Merrick this one you add a little water and there is a gravy. She said she dosen't love this but it's a good kibble for picky eaters and to just add some fresh veggies and yogurt 2 x's a week to round it out.

Last night we put little piles of food out of each flavor (I should have taked a picture) and he did a taste test, BTW he had not had supper yet so he was HUNGRY!

He went to the Canadie and sniffed it and walked away..lol , then he went to the Solid Gold Wolf cub and sniffed it then sniffed the Timberwolf (Venison) and gobbled it up, it looks like the same kibble as canadie he went back to the canadie and snubbed it again, went over to the Timberwolf (Ocean Blue) gobbled it up , went to the Timberwold (Bison) gobble it up, sniffed Cal. Natural snubbed it then ate the Solid Gold (both kinds) After that he ate the Merrick and then sat there in front of the Canadie and Cal. Natural like, "Hey Lady where is the other stuff" . I gave him a bowl of the Timberwolf and he at the whole thing in 1 sitting, this had not happened in a long time!!. When you open the bag it smells so flavorful but, is it good??? His poop this morning was fine but I am sure it may take a few days to see any change.

So my long winded question is this:

Any comments on Timberwolf, Merrick or Solid Gold Wolf Cub????
Any users and what do you think of this womans Dog Food analysis???

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sorry I don't know of these foods but I will say just do as your doing compare the labels and try and go as all natural as you can. You other choose is the Barf Diet (Raw Diet) which is more costly and takes more time but the ones who use it swear by it. Good Luck maybe someone else uses those other foods you mentioned.

G

·
They all looked incredibly good to me when I was doing research. I am not an expert by any stretch, but those are the exact brands that kept popping up when I was thinking of a change. Timberwolf looked wonderful to me...and I'd say it sounds like this lady does know her foods. I did read where Ca Natural had a high rice content...not sure if that is true.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
timber wolf is highly rated....and quite expensive in some areas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I rated it by the score system someone posted and it scored at 126 so I think I will get it. Yes, it is pricey I'll be paying just under $50 for a 40 lb. bag. ..don't tell my husband :shock:
~Jenny

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just started feeding the Canidae All Life Stages and Puffy does well on it, fortunately he is not a picky eater. Great info form the Food Store sounds like a great Store. What exactly did she say about the protein and Fat? Did she mention what a good level is? Timberwolf and Canidae seem to have a significant difference. Timberwolf has a higher fat content so maybe thats why your pup finds it more tasty. Both seem to have healthy fat content levels. She mentioned something about pups and growing and my concern with the canidae was that with it being all life stages does it have enough protein for a growing pup.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jenny,

The only thing you want to be careful of is if you're feeding a grainless food (like some of the Timberwolf varieties or Innova) to a large breed puppy is not to overfeed them. Which can be easy to do since you are supposed to feed them less of this type of food.

So much of the high protein food is absorbed by their bodies that they can potentially grow too fast. But if you stick to the bags recomendations, you should be just fine.

Bailey is on Innova EVO, but she's a mini (still only around 20 pounds at 7 months), so it hasn't been an issue for her.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She said for puppies it should be in a range from 12%-15% fat and 22%-24% protien. She sait it really dosen't matter if the bag says large breed or All Life Stages, she said to look for the Fat/Protien content. Most life stages Canadie, Merrick and Natural Balance are a few that are in those ranges. The Timberwolf I would be using is the , Black Forest Venison and Lamb is 22% Protien and 12% fat but your right, many of the others have a much higher protien content, I would not use them until 10 months or so. She said at about at 10 months you should go to a protien content of 24-26% and a fat content of 15% -16% unless you have a farm working dog or agility training type dog. Then you would add 350-385kcals per 1 hour of work, or get a low ash , low fiber and high protien 36%/fat 18% .

Thats all I have down for notes. I'll ask and see if she will join this forum.

One more thing she said that for those that have aging dogs or sick dogs have lost their appetite she reccomends the Timberwolf Nutrient Dense Lamb and Apple she said it packs quite a bit into 1 cup.

~Jenny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts