Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I rescued Sandy about five months ago. Sandy was malnourished and very timid after being dropped off at a kennel for five months oh er 11 month life.

Today Sandy is a loving, playful and very affectionate dog. We were so lucky to have found her.

Sandy was on Iaams at the rescue shelter so we kept her diet the same. She was also eating Pedigree canned food. Sandy started to develp diarrhea and very loose stools about a month ago. We thought that it was the treats that she was getting. After a process of elimination, we found out that it was the canned Pedigree food that was causing her the problems. I called the vet and he recommended Sandy going on ID Science Diet. I think she needs a higher quality dog food than pedigree. We tried to feed her just the Iaams dry but she refuses it. She will go without eating and is still underweight. Can anyone recommend a dogfood?

HELP!!!

Mary Beth
(New Jersey)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you can try adding canned Canidae in her food?

or try giving her a teaspoon of pumpkin or get pineapple chunks and give her a little of that in her food as this also helps with diarrhea

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more quaestion .... Is there any dry dog food that she might enjoy that is tastier than the plain Iaams chunks?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I had put mine on Canidae cause Max the big black Ld in my pic, he got diarrhea on 6 different kinds of dog food.

I use the all life stages dry kibble but when he got finicky after 10mos on it i added just a bit of pineapple, pumpkin, or string beans etc once in great while boiled chicken or steak . He and the other two gobble it down

if you go to http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html
you can find a store near you

now others swear by California natural??? i am not sure but
for some doodles corn is one culprit to food allergies and there are others.

Innova for ours and others here .......if your dog gets too gassy means they're not digesting it well.

remember if you try Canidae or any of the others like Blue Buffalo or california natural etc
SAVE your receipt, that way if you dog can't tolerate or eat it, you get a refund.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson was rescued just after Christmas.

He came to us underweight as well. He had been eating "potluck" (any food the shelter received as a donation)...

We started him on Canidae and Beneful because at the time we weren't sure what he would like/what was good. He liked the Canidae and we are continuing to feed him that. He was also accustomed to eating Pedigree wet. He still gets some of that every once in a while and we haven't had problems...

But the Canidae is good! We actually went to the vet today and found out that Sam went from a skinny 63 lbs to a perfect 68!!! Don't worry, good food and love will get your new guy nice and healthy!

Congrats on your Doodle!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I feed Samantha Iams Puppy Proactive large breed, and once a day I put a spoon of yogurt in with her food. She likes it and is healthy and growing. I just started the yogurt. I here pumpkin, and carrots are some other things you can add occasionaly or in treats. Thsi site is great for info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You could try Iams adult food for large breed dogs. My Nicky drools at the sight of it and gobbles it up. He likes it even more than he did the Iams large breed puppy food. He has had no problems with either food. Both are dry foods.

·
Registered
235 Posts
After reading Canidae customer testomonials I think I might switch to Canidae after this bag of Iams is gone. Lets hear from Canidae users.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Mary Beth

Welcome to you and Sandy !

Annabelle eats Iams Healthy Natural and loves it

Problem with some dogs, once they get a taste of canned food, dry just doesnt grab their taste buds.

I would prob add some canned dog food if she flat out won't eat, but buy a good brand that doesnt have a lot of fillers in it. Other option would be to add some ground beef or chopped up cooked chicken - just enough to flavor the food. Only prob with adding to the dry food, as you are finding out, once you start , it's hard to stop adding.

Good luck, Sandy is a cutie

·
Registered
593 Posts
annabelles mom said:
Problem with some dogs, once they get a taste of canned food, dry just doesnt grab their taste buds.
Sampson gets a small amount of Pedigree wet food because that is what he has eaten since puppyhood (before we adopted him). He likes the wet, but still gobbles up the Canidae like he never gets any food at all!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Will she eat the dry food if you put some of the canned on it? If so, can you just gradually reduce the amount of canned you use so eventually you don't give any? Iams rates quite poorly vs other foods, but I'm a firm believer that the "best" food is one that agrees with your dog :)

Where in NJ are you from? We live in Monmouth County :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG that is like one town away from us. Maybe we can meet up for some doodle play sometime. Have you found the local dog parks. Thomson Park in Holmdel has a good park as does Thompson Park in Jamesburg (near 8A on the turnpike) :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts