Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellow doodle owners. If you were giving advice, what dog food would you reccommend. After reading the Canidae customer testomonials, I think I might switch. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am feeding Canidae to 3 doodles .......Max last year was sick and we tried 6 different dog foods , none worked

Canidae however he was able to digest and been on for almost a year now and is doign well.
the other thing about canidae is that they weren't involved in the food recall and John if you look at this post i am listing, the same thing is being discussed and i put links on it too with a dogfood comparision aid

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... hp?p=91945

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It's all personal preference - is Samantha having problems with the food she is eating?

I Never heard of Canidae until I came to this forum and have never seen it in the pet stores around here, even if I did, I personally wouldn't switch as AB does fine on Iams and our Vet recommends Iams, even though they don't sell it.

We have fed our dogs Iams for 25 years and they have all done very well with it.

Annabelle eats Iams Healthy Natural and loves it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I tried Canidea after hearing so much about it on this forum, but my dogs didn't love it. I am now feeding them EVO. It is grain free and so you feed less and they poop less. They seem to like it. I occassionally add about a TBS of wet food (organic farms). Good Luck!

Leslie

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had Tucker on Canidae since he was about 6 months old. I started Frankie on it and that is when we ended up with 3 rounds of antibiotics due to excessive diareha this was before we narrowed it down to something maybe not agreeing with his food. I hated to have to give up Canidae, it is such a high quality food for them. There are many places to check the comparisons of different brands. Canidae rates very high. I have switched to Wellness, and they are doing great. Both these foods are of human grade. The Wellness brand contains all kinds of fruits and vegetables and glucosamine and chondroitin. I guess you have to go with what works for you, but please check the quality comparisons.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
some say they like California Natural, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Innova, EVO, dick pattern, Canidae etc

personally i say the best food is the one your dog not only likes but can digest easily and is healthy on.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson gets Canidae...
Because it was more expensive than we are accustomed to, we sometimes cut it with Beneful. But usually we just give him straight up Canidae. He loves it, cleans the bowl out every time! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She seems to be doing fine on the Iams, she is healthy, growing, and usually eats it all. I just saw so many doddlers on here feeding Canidae I thought it was time to ask.

Thank you all.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I personally wouldn't switch your food unless you are having a problem. As a puppy we fed Dex Iams and he was doing fine. I heard it wasn't a high quality food so we went to Nutro...shortly after he started having ear infections (i.e. allergies) so we went to Canidae and finally found Natural Balance Duck & Potato and he's fine. I'm not saying he wouldn't have developed allergies if we stayed on Iams...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
like they say
IF it ain't broke,,,,,,,don't fix it. :D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao is on Canidae. We switched from Nutro Puppy Small Bites. She has really bad gas on the Nutro.

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia was getting innova when we got her, and i liked that food but once we got her home, she had diarrhea for over a month before we settled on california natural lamb and rice, which she loves (as does her tummy). and her coat looks great!! i wonder if sensitive stomach is a doodle thing?? i've heard other doodles owners with similar problems. she still can't have rawhide or anything but high quality holistic treats and bones or bully stix. i do like the more holistic pet foods with fewer ingredients and grain-free (except for rice). i've heard some unpleasant things about iams and their company, but i guess it's true: if it aint broke.....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
After reading the reviews on www.dogfoodanalysis.com you'll never catch me feeding less than a 4 star food to my dogs. I was horrified to read the ingredients of foods like beneful, kibbles n bits, and Iams Healthy Naturals (among many other popular foods).

(disclaimer - this is my opinion only - please don't be offended if you feed your dogs one of these foods.)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosie was fed Canidae by Jacque so we have kept her on what she is used to. I am thinking of switching her to a raw diet and have added things like egg, tuna, spinach, yogurt, cheese, carrots, zucchini, etc. to her normal mix of kibble and canned food. She is glossy, healthy and doesn't have a gas problem unless she eats something naughty (like the cat's food or poop outside).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky has been an Iams pup since he started eating dog food. He's now 16 months old and was switched from puppy food to the adult large breed Iams at 12 months. He love it, has no intestinal problems, is very healthy (according to the vet), and has a shiny coat.

I see no reason to switch no matter what a web site's analysis says. Iams is a name brand and is available most everywhere. I have no idea who sells Canidae in this area or even if Nicky would like it if I bought it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I too am feeding Iams. I just read that a dogs diet should be a mix of wet and dry dog food. Is this true. Do dogs need a mix of wet and dry? Is Canidae a canned foor only? Is kibble a dry food that people use when using canidae? Should I add a canned food to Sams Iams diet? Should I switch to Canidae and kibble? Let me hear it people, please reply...

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
cracker9ball said:
I too am feeding Iams. I just read that a dogs diet should be a mix of wet and dry dog food. Is this true. Do dogs need a mix of wet and dry? Is Canidae a canned foor only? Is kibble a dry food that people use when using canidae? Should I add a canned food to Sams Iams diet? Should I switch to Canidae and kibble? Let me hear it people, please reply...
John, I went to the link that Kristen gave us and several others and sadly am finding that Iams is not one of the better dog foods, it does have a lot of fillers - which some people say aren't good. I'm sure there are those out there that say they are good. I have been researching other doggie foods on the list and reading their ingredients They have a list of Lots of doggie foods rated 1star to 6star Most of the Iams were 1star because of all the grain and espeically Corn which these people think are bad for dogs

I'm not sure what I will do now, I am doing lots of reading

As far as wet food/dry food goes I think that is a personal preference, as any feeding really is.

We had 2 chocolate lab babies, when Mollyann was 7, she developed Diabetese and we switched her to canned food, and fed her more often to keep her blood sugar more level.
Anyhow, Heidipooh wanted nothing to do with dry food when her sister was getting that yummy smelling food LOL so we switched her to canned also, after Mollyann went to Rainbow Heaven, we kept Poohbear on Canned food the next 4 years she was with us, as she loved it.

I see nothing wrong with adding wet food if that is what you want to give your babydoll. I have also read there are better canned foods and some not soo good they are on the list at link Kristin gave us

here is the link that Kristin gave us (thanks Kristin!) for checking out different foods, there ingredients and why they are rated the way they are.

I was SHOCKED at how Iams was rated and some of the ingredients, not so much what was in it, but what wasnt in it also :shock:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

sorry, long winded :lol:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, this will be my last bag of Iams, I just dont like what they say about it, I have not decided on what to switch to yet so any help would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts