Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now we have moved to semi rural oregon. Howdy has always worn
a collar with all his id tags(shots, name ,phone, chip info) soon as we got here one of the dogs who live here tore it of in a wrestling match.
when we found it a week later the plastic closing thing was chewed off.
The family tells me collars are unsafe when dogs are on "farms"/ i
feel it is less safe to be without one........whats the verdict ????

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have collars on my dogs and a wedding ring on my husband ;)
I have heard arguments against both and still prefer they stay on.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a collar on Otto at all times and he is chipped, but to read the chip you need the machine, if our doodle got out and a person found him with the tag they would know who to contact at once.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I myself believe in tags.
how about this...about 6 yrs ago a plotthound came to my yard and wouldn't leave. Luckily he had tags so I called the vet and kept this HUGE dog at my house for 7hrs till the owners came to get him. I live in a rural area ...we all keep tags on our dogs.

G

·
Patty,
Premier is now selling a safety breakaway collar. I do know of a family that recently lost their puppy to a strangulation accident, and years ago, my Aunt lost her beautiful Irish Setter the same way. (The collar got caught up high on the fence while jumping.) Both situations were heartbreaking.
http://www.keepsafecollar.com/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
collars

Thanks guys . I knew you all would have the answers. I love this
forum. p.s. Howdy loves the country and having lab cousins to
play with and he even gets to see his sibs from Seattle occasionaly!

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is another recent thread on this forum regarding tags on collars.

Some suggestions were to write all the needed information right on the dog's collar with an indelible marker. You can also order personalized embroidered collars.

I have seen the tags get caught so my preference is to remove them, especially when the dogs are in their crates or not directy supervised outdoors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have to agree with the last post. My dogs are chipped & never wear collars in the backyard. Many years ago my daughter's our german shepard hung herself on our fence. If you must collar them use a breakaway collar.

LizziesMom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts