Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what everyone's top Dog Book choices where? What dog books you would recommend to others? I was looking for a new book..

For me...
Jan Fennell... The Dog Listener
Patricia McConnell... The Other End of the Leash

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just ordered The Other End of the Leash

I also have my eye on Don't Shoot the Dog! and How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves.

Any other suggestions would be GREAT :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Dog Whisperer Paul Owens
Don't Shoot The Dog Karen Pryor
Family Dog Richard Wolters

·
Registered
985 Posts
I like Brian Kilcommons' books. His latest, My Smart Puppy, is a little harder to follow and put into effect because he and Sarah Wilson break training down into lots of little bits. I find myself reading the book while giving the dog directions because I can't remember exactly how I'm supposed to be doing that particular exercise. But his earlier book, "Good Owners, Great Dogs," was really helpful and gave me insight into dog psychology that allowed me to deal with what seemed like a behavior problem in a non-punitive but very effective way.

I also have "The Other End of the Leash," which is interesting but less hands-on, of course.

And the Monks of New Skete and a bunch of others. The Kilcommons book has been the most helpful.

Leslie

·
Registered
659 Posts
"No Bad Dogs"... the classic by Barbara Woodhouse. WALKIES!!!

And as a bedtime book for your Doodle... "Lassie Come Home" by Eric Knight.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just ordered "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennel recommended by a local dog walker.

Also ordered "At the End of My Leash" and a natropathic/natural health book for dogs. Don't remember the name. I'll let you know how I like them.

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
247 Posts
oh, that reminds me that i like dr pitcairn's natural health book for dogs and cats. it has a great encyclopedia type section of ailments in the back. his natural diet recs are a bit high maintenance but i frequently refer to the book.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I only have a book on labradoodles. I need to read more dog books i see.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Info books?
Reading because you like to read (ie.. entertaining books)?

Or both?

·
Registered
576 Posts
mtd885 said:
Family Dog Richard Wolters
I ordered this and read it and I have to say...I didn't like it at all. Very old fashioned and harsh treatments are encouraged. Just a heads up...take it with a grain on salt! I did get one good tip from it but it encourages spanking, etc.!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yikes! Thanks for that, maybe I can cancel it...

I ordered...

1.Good Owners, Great Dogs [Paperback] by Kilcommons

2.Family Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method

3.Childproofing Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Preparing Your Dog for

the Children

4.Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog
Household...

5.The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog
Training by...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts