Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine does. I love her very much and she is only 14 weeks or so, but she does not have the long wavy or curly hair. Her hair is pretty much straight all around. She has a little beard though. Can I expect her coat to get longer as she grow or is this what she will look like? The breeder told me her coat would get longer, but that was 5 weeks ago and I havent seen it.

I read that when you mix breeds you never know what youre going to get. Some may look more like lab, some more like poodle.. Im just wondering - does their coat change?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
You are right, there is no guarantee what yo will get with mixed breeds -

Annabelle is buillt like a poodle, she was chubby little puppy but has thinned out, has the long poodle snout, smaller poodle head and slimline body, some of the pups in her litter have more of the lab build, just never know what you will get.

Her hair is a mix, very few curls, soft kinks and some wirey hair - one of her sibs that I have seen pics of has the tight poodle curls - others have wavy

Good luck with your new pup - is your pup an F1 or F1b ? Got pics?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Amy, my pup is from a poodle mom and a labradoodle dad, so she's an F1B, crossed back to poodle. The breeder worked with me and made sure that she had a puppy who would have the look I wanted, although we both agreed that temperament was the most important variable of all. Since Chouette is 3/4 poodle she looks quite poodle-y, but not so much that she'd be mistaken for one. Her hair is silky and wavy rather than tightly curled, and she has eyelashes to die for. But everyone on the forum says that adult coats can be different from puppy coats so I'm curious to see how long hers will get. We got her on June 18th when she was ten weeks old, and her fur has gotten longer since her arrival.

If your Molly is more lab-like it means you'll save in grooming costs, for sure!

Welcome!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Amy
My husband and I are lab people but wanted less shedding, so we intentionally looked for a Labradoodle that would be more lab-like. Our Dakota is an F1. His mother is a Lab and his father is a Poodle. He looked like you describe your dog at your dogs age. As he grew older, his hair grew longer and wavier (normally about 2-3" long--he has a summer clip right now). He is slightly wire-coated but still very soft. He is very easy to groom-never mats. Post pics of your pup!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Coco looked like a lab puppy when we got her at 9 weeks, but at fourteen weeks, she just looks like a lab with long hair.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
can you put a picture of her up? most reputable breeders can tell what your pup will look like. I would look at pictures of other pups from the litter as well and previous litters. What generation is she?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Pippin is an F1B, and he looks more like a poodle. My Merry on the other hand is an F1, and she looks more like a lab with wavy hair. Both of them have more of the wiry hair, although Pippins is soft when I bring him back from the groomers and they've had the patience to comb him thoroughly. I keep his hair trimmed short because we are always outdoors and I hate picking out any more stickers than I have to.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x311/lmvandyke/

·
Registered
141 Posts
what will my labradoodle look like

Hi everyone! We are new to the forum as we just got our first labradoodle. We rescued him at 10 months old. He is just a doll. Wondering as well what his coat may look like as he grows. He looks a lot like a lab now, but with a slight wave. He is, we are pretty sure, an F1. We lobve him and he is great with our 4 children ages 7, 5, 5, and 3[/img]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is the scruffy F1 labby look with a stumpy poodle tail hahahha
so yes he has the lab build, temperament but lots of POODLE antics and thinking :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! So many replies so quickly!

I can tell I'm going to love this site! We just moved and I cant find the cord to download my camera Grrr. I can tell you when I went to look at the puppies she was the only female. The males looked like what I thought most labradoodles would look like. Kind of fluffy and wavy all over. I wanted a female though and she was sweet! Her mother was a yellow lab and her dad was ablack standard poodle. So I guess shes an F1 correct? I cant wait to share pics with you all!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hi! I am new too, new to forums also but here it goes.....
I too have a "labby" looking Doodle out of a yellow Lab and a black standard Poodle. I used to be somewhat insulted when people said that they couldn't see the poodle in her.. but I can. Besides...if I wanted a poodle, I would have got a poodle. She has Chin hairs and thick wavy hair down her back that I take off with a 5 blade in the summer to help cool her down. She build is more like a poodle on steroids, then again, she is my hiking buddy so is quite muscular from hiking. She also has strong features ,and with morph thing has a big head and face, which she is always sticking into every thing. (her nick-name is "the nose"). I have been in touch with the breeder and there were long haired dogs in the litter but thats okay..the whole family is in love with her and I gladly clean up her hair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi wfin and Lucky Me:

I am also new here and your pups look a lot like my Kiley who is also 10 months old. She looks more lab with long, wavy hair. When she was a baby she had little spit curls hanging off of her ears like earrings and a corkscrew curl on the tip of her tail. Her adult coat is more or less just wavy and kinky. I also keep her shaved down for summer, so she really looks more labish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I"m still trying to figure out what part of Bigsby is poodle, and what part is lab. His mother was a yellow F1 doodle, the father a red miniature poodle. I think his ears are definitely poodle, his snout is more lab, his body build is more poodle I think. His tail curls up and completely over his back - not like a lab's tail so is that poodle? He loves the water & is a chewing machine, which reminds me of our old dog, a lab - and he is super agile with amazing balance, which seems more poodly. It's fun to try to figure out.

People stop and ask me all the time what kind of dog he is. The most common guess (for those who have never seen a labradoodle) is some kind of terrier.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome Amy!

I had wondered the same about my Lexi when she was a pup. She's an F1 mini, with a yellow lab mom, and black mini poodle dad.

I've heard an experienced breeder can help with relatively good predictions on sizes and coats- but part of the excitement of owning a doodle is waiting to find out what they will look like when they mature-because predictions are usually not a gaurantee, just a fairly accurate educated guess.

As a pup, Lexi (a mini Dakota look-alike) looked very labby to me- now I think she has what is referred to as a wavy/wiry coat.

When she was a baby I wanted to see lots of then and now photos, to help me get an idea of how coats developed over time - so I'll post some for you.

Here she is as a baby, she was 7 weeks old still living with the breeder, and pretty lab looking.

Here she is on her first day with us at 9 weeks old. You can see her coat seems a little shaggier, but still pretty lab looking (to me).

Here she is at 16 weeks, a little older than your baby, and still shaggier.

And here she is now- almost a year old, although she recently had a trim around her ears, eyes, and beard, she has -what has been described as an F1 wiry coat.

I hope this helps.

Maddie and Lexi

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
All these pictures are beautiful
and I would like to say hello and welcome to any of you
that I missed saying Hello to!!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Your lexi is such a doll...a such killer eyes!!! My Tuesday's litter was half black & half yellow. I wanted a yellow but Tuesday just stood out so much from the rest of the litter and was so much more aware of what was going on around her and responded quickly to my actions. (I had first pick at 7 wks old).
The first pic was at about 9-10 wks., the second about 4months old
it is funny how they are constantly changing...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Wonderful pictures of beautiful ever changing doodles! I love the differences and think the adventure of "what will she/he look like next month" is a hoot!

Oddly enough I received a call this past weekend from a woman considering a doodle from Ebbe's breeder. She was hoping the puppy she would get would look more lab like, with the shorter coat. I could only refer to our experience with Ebbe (i.e. how much we love her, scruffy wirey coat, poodle face) and said there were no guarantees and that I had yet to meet a doodle who wasn't loving and lovable.

Don't know what her decision will be ...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts