Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few months, Bigsby has eaten: part of a flannel shirt, a rubber band, a whole kleenex, the contents of the lint screen from the dryer, part of a beach towel, parts of sticks, parts of pine cones, and about half a bar of soap - among other things. I don't know what to do! He is very fast when snatching something off a counter or something that has fallen on the floor and by the time I reach him, he is swallowing whatever it is that he's not supposed to have. In the yard, I'm not even sure what he's getting into until I see a half eaten stick or pine cone on the grass. To him, the command "leave it" means "hurry up and swallow it before she can get it away from me." We've already had a couple of expensive visits to the vet (for the flannel shirt and for a hibiscus blossom). The times that I do get to him in time and grab a hold of the object which he is clenching in his mouth. we have a stand off - I have one end in my grip, he has his jaws locked shut on the other. I just wait him out, and eventually he'll try to readjust his bite and I can yank it out. It can take a while. But if I can't get my hand on it, he starts working to swallow it. It scares me because I'm really afraid one day he will choke or eat something truly poisonous. Or he'll eat something bad that I don't even know about.

Also, he developed tapeworms the other day. That's pleasant. I guess from something gross he ate in the yard.

Any suggestions for dealing with this? Bigsby is 10 months now, weighs about 36 lbs.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
doesnt sound like Bigby is ready for off leash privledges - in the house you might want to try tethering him to you with a short leash so you know his every move - if you are going to be busy, cooking or soemthing else, place him in his crate, for his safety and your sanity.

what about outside - does he have free run, are you fenced or do you have to walk him? If he has free run then you probably are gonna have to be out there with him and correct him when he gets into something he shouldnt. We have no plants in our backyard - too many are poisonous so I just dont put them out there

I kept Annabelle very close to me and even at that she still scarfed a pair of my glasses and chewed them up - that and chewed a hole in carpet at top of stairs. She loves to chew on sticks but we try to pick them up when we see them, she has chewed on corners of our shed, we've tried hot sauce and bitter apple, she still chews has a thing for wood, although she has never touched the dining room table or end tables in LR - guess she is selective on her choice of wood :shock:

Good luck

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Mary is right
You will have to keep a very short leash.............
They all go through this to some point and training and consistency
will become your solutions, plus his maturity as he ages.
Do not despair there is hope................

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
1. many doodles eat/swallow things like socks and somtimes give them back to you between 2am to 5am hahahhaa

2.you may want to keep him on a leash outside and in the hosue as well

3. YOu can try using treats if he listens to drop it eventually working towards just praise only

4. mary had good suggestions which can also give you a peace of mind.

at 10MOS OLD ....OMG you realize why some dogs are given to shelters hahaha
it's a stage!!! they are almost teenagers and can drive you nuts
so get out a sense of humor and also do some good training with him

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I don't mean to laugh here but OMG!! I can totally identify with this!!
Let me site a few examples from what you wrote........
He is very fast when snatching something off a counter or something that has fallen on the floor and by the time I reach him, he is swallowing whatever it is that he's not supposed to have. In the yard, I'm not even sure what he's getting into until I see a half eaten stick or pine cone on the grass.
Bogie is fast like that too. He eats leaves, rips off branches of trees and like you..I'm chasing him to stop this! Okay, recently, I stopped chasing. Then it becomes a real game for him! He runs away and does the doodle 500 with this stuff hanging from his mouth.............about to be swallowed when he stops running.
into until I see a half eaten stick or pine cone on the grass. To him, the command "leave it" means "hurry up and swallow it before she can get it away from me."
OMG! Do you have a camera in my yard!!????

Crikey!! What to do?? I want him to have freedom in the yard.......but wow! It's too much sometimes! he's getting better, but what you have described is my Bogie to a tee................the doodle's!!
Sad news on the tapeworm.........These poor babes don't know how they can hurt themselves!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Aha! I was posting when others came in with advice..........a tight reign on our doodle's is what we need! Okay doodle's...earn your privileges!! Bogie and Bigsby...listen up!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for ME , all 3 doodles DROP IT
BUT WITH DAVE AND MY SON hahhahahahaaa!!

Max gives the ' whadda ya gonna do dad?" look, shows the item to him on his tongue and quicker than a blink of an eye swallows it!! hahahaha

with my son MAX gives chase big time

Peanut......you say drop it and she picks up one of her toys and sits there like she has NOTHING HIDING IN HER MOUTH BEHIND THE TOY

BEAU...he's too young to be defiant yet hahhaaa and gives it up luckily

PS in the Next day or 2, i will be posting another blog article that will make you feel right at home!! hahahhaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
985 Posts
It would be interesting to hear someone with more medical knowledge weigh in here, but I don't try to stop Chouette from snacking on leaves (from our oaks and hickories) or sticks or pinecones. Feathers are a hassle because they can make her bowel movements stringy, but they may not be much worse than the strings in a rope chewtoy. And I don't know that sticks and pinecones are worse than some of those rubbery bones that puppies are supposed to chew on. I do remove animal bones and other things that I think might be dangerous. Because I check her and don't scold, and often don't remove, she's usually fine about letting me see what she's got. I also sometimes reward her with a treat from my pocket if I do have to take something away. Fishing out a well-rotted songbird carcass, a souvenir from the cat, can be pretty gross, though.

Leslie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Emily is funny. She puts everything she can possibly can he hold of in her mouth. Loves to walk holding a stick in her mouth but she does not actually swallow it. Just sits there until I figure out she is chewing on something and take it away from her (actually put my hand in her mouth and take it out -- she will not resist :D)

Maria and Emily

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
As a word of encouragement, Tanner did the same...especially rocks, sticks, leaves. Drove us nuts! We stopped letting him off leash in the yard and on walks were careful to keep his head up. Then, all of a sudden, he stopped. Probably at 12-14 months, he just didn't do it anymore. He gets better every month (he is almost 17 months) with not chewing what is not his.

One other thought, what do you give Bigsby to chew on. Tanner loves the "Tank" bone and his rawhide braids. He has to have so many minutes in the AM and PM to chew (all supervised of course) to satisfy him.

:wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie is awful. As soon as my kids drop something, he is all over it. Socks, gloves, toys, crayons, etc. When I'm in the room he doesn't do it, but with my wife and kids, everything is fair game. He'll drop whatever he has for me, but no one else. My wife gets frustrated to the point that she suggests getting rid of him sometimes. Hopefully he'll straighten out soon, he's already 14 months.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Oh my.....don't get me started!! :wink: The most recent was last night while I was at work. I bought a cheap holiday table cloth...pretty and plastic. It now has 1 corner shredded and little pieces scatted through out the house! :shock: Also, shredded sock, unrolled and destroyed partial roll of the twine I was using on the Christmas Ornaments.....and my fine sharpie!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Our only solution was to puppy-proof the rooms in which Dexter goes just as we would baby-proof a room. Soooooooooooo,

(sing along with me):
No socks lying around
Doors to bedrooms and bathroom closed off
None of my kids' stuffed animals within reach
No food within reach on kitchen counters
No PAPER TOWEL ROLLS (a personal favorite :roll: ) within reach in the kitchen

So far he doesn't bother with the throw pillows or throw blankets in the living room. Go figure.

...you get the idea. :roll:

PUPPY PROOFING WILL SAVE YOUR MIND.
A Doodle Public Service Announcement

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Our only solution was to puppy-proof the rooms in which Dexter goes just as we would baby-proof a room. Soooooooooooo

No socks lying around
Doors to bedrooms and bathroom closed off
None of my kids' stuffed animals within reach
No food within reach on kitchen counters
No PAPER TOWEL ROLLS (a personal favorite ) within reach in the kitchen

So far he doesn't bother with the throw pillows or throw blankets in the living room. Go figure.
We did the exact same thing. Our house has nothing random lying around. Now we don't have kids so it makes it easier. Kirby leaves everything alone so our problems are just with Dexter. If I drop a sock from the laundry he steals and runs with it. We had all doors in our house closed until Dex was over a year. We never leave things on the edge of counters, etc. He still steals rocks on occasion, but is finally starting to get a little better with listening to drop it (I also tell him he'll get a carrot if he drops is and I think he actually understands). It's funny...he's really never touched books we have on our bookshelf, picture frames, throw pillows...I don't know what goes through his head.

G

·
A really strong 'drop it' command will work when you see it happening. You can get this by practicing with something REALLY great, like tiny pieces of deli roast beef or hot dogs. Give him something he likes , say 'drop it' while holding the roast beef near his nose, take the dropped item and give him the roast beef and LOTS of praise. Now do it about 20 times a day for a week and you will have a great, strong drop it command!

Counter surfing: balance some cookie sheets up there precariously, when he surfs they will come tumbling down and scare him, he won't surf that counter again! Mouse traps have also workd for some, somehow they don' snap on them, they just snap and scare them...

Now, when you aren't there to see it happening...I'm with Ellabee, try to puppy proof as much as possible (virtually impossible as we all know with kids!) :lol: . Make sure the kids know that he could get really sick and need surgery if he eats something and it gets stuck.
Good Luck! It is mostly a stage and he will calm down in about 5 months.

And if anyone is really and truly to the point of considering getting rid of their dog (or your spouse has had it), I would definitely recommend trying the electronic collar. Some are against it, but when used properly with a good trainer, it is a true lifesaver. You can PM me for details or just do a search of my posts for electronic collar. This has saved my sanity!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda said:
It is mostly a stage and he will calm down in about 5 months.
Linda I agree with all your advice......but BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA on this quote. Mine are 26mo, 20 mo and 16mo.....guess I should have appreciated that 5mo window! :roll:

It's funny though, I've puppy proofed and things they never bothered before all of a sudden become "interesting". That's part of the joy, i think?? :wink: :lol:

G

·
gene said:
Linda said:
It is mostly a stage and he will calm down in about 5 months.
Linda I agree with all your advice......but BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA on this quote. Mine are 26mo, 20 mo and 16mo.....guess I should have appreciated that 5mo window! :roll:

It's funny though, I've puppy proofed and things they never bothered before all of a sudden become "interesting". That's part of the joy, i think?? :wink: :lol:
SSSHHH, Gene, thats just something I tell the puppy parents! If they hang on for 5 more months they'll NEVER give up!!!! :lol:

G

·
Actally, I SWEAR there is a SECOND stage! Not as bad as the first, but it is there! Look at Angel Bella who ate a library book (All About Beagles, guess she liked the picture), a lamp cord, and a heavy duty cardboard package, a new bottle of Claritin (luckily, I guess they did not taste good there was only one missing out of 100 pills) in the last month. She never had an interest in those things before. She's 20 months...Any experts out there, IS there a second testing stage?
:lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the comments. I have enjoyed reading them this morning. annieG, you are very encouraging. I hope you're right.

For some time now, he has been under constant watch. One thing we do is keep the door closed to whatever room we're in with him - otherwise, every time he leaves the room, I'm up and behind him. I'm also always trying to catch him in the act of "surfing" the counters or a bedside table so I can correct him but he ALWAYS knows when I'm watching him, always. He does wear an electronic collar and a quick correction from that is very effective IF I CAN CATCH HIM IN THE ACT!! Nothing is ever left on a floor but he can catch something that is dropped practically out of the air. We have a fenced in yard and we do let him out by himself, but it's not for long periods - we never leave him out there if we're not home. I haven't worried that much about the sticks and pine cones. That seems sort of natural to me and he seems to chew them into little pieces - and I'm usually checking through the window. sigh. The thought of having to accompany him every time he wants to go outside in the wintertime makes me sigh. sigh again.

He will certainly drop something if traded for a treat, but I felt like this was too much positive reinforcement and would only teach him to go for more. The e-collar will work if he has it on and if the battery is not weak or dead. I try not to chase him, but call him to me (and he almost always comes). I try to be calm and have him sit, and sometimes, he'll drop it when he sits. This is progress. I try not to have tug of war - if he pulls, I relax my grip but still hold on (if you know what I mean).

Oh, one thing that works in addition to the e-collar. If we can get to the bitter apple, and spray it near his mouth, he'll let go. Unless he has already swallowed it, which he can do instantly. Now you see it, now it's gone. ha ha

So, we're trying. And maybe making some progress. Plus I have learned that if we get in a long walk every day plus some good play time, it's always a better day. I'm sure that being more vigilant is the key along with consistency. oops, excuse me - he just left. I'm back, door more firmly shut. However, some members of the family (not to name names) are more vigilant and consistent than others, if you get my drift. Many of these incidents occurred when hubby was doodle-sitting :)

And, to answer another question, he is only allowed to chew on nylabones. He goes to town on them. He has eaten the "nubs" off several and they have been replaced. Do you think rawhide is okay? I hesitate to give him rawhide because I think he would chew pieces off that could get stuck in his gut. His most favorite outside toy in the whole world is a durable plastic watering can which he flings around while doing the doodle 500. Here's a photo:

He's not a destructive boy - he doesn't chew furniture, etc. And he has ignored the Christmas tree and its dangling ornaments and the presents. The problem is mainly a stealing/eating/swallowing problem, rather than a chewing/destructive problem. That sounds a little inconsistent with the outside stuff - which I guess IS chewing on inappropriate objects.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy reply. I do appreciate all the advice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Linda said:
And if anyone is really and truly to the point of considering getting rid of their dog (or your spouse has had it), I would definitely recommend trying the electronic collar. Some are against it, but when used properly with a good trainer, it is a true lifesaver. You can PM me for details or just do a search of my posts for electronic collar. This has saved my sanity!
We have one already. It works great just with the tone correction alone. Very few cases have we had to use the static correction. Now we only put it on him when he is really being bad, and just by putting the collar on him, he calms right down, knowing he's in trouble. Yesterday Charlie was a handful when my wife got home with the kids, she called me at work to complain (like I can do anything at the moment), so I told her to put his collar on. For some reason she didn't and he stayed a pain in her butt. I try to explain he's just burning energy from being crated all day, but she doesn't want to hear it. I get myself in more trouble when I remind her it was her idea to get a dog, and that she picked him out. :?

Every time she brings up getting rid of him, he seems to sense it and he behaves for a week or so. She's just venting when she says it, we would never get rid of him, it would devastate the kids.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts