Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else's doodle is similar when you're sick or someone in the family has had surgery etc.

Max is doing a level 1 refresher OB class and i hope to start up level 2 no later than April. I am also taking him out in public alot more now and training him the whole time.
and really hope to make it to CGC and then therapy work with him, if Max is up for it.

I've had the flu for 10days now with running fevers daily. a few days ago i got up and didn't realize how dizzy i was and started to fall. Before I knew it , Max ran over between me and the coffee table and broke my fall :shock: then he leaned into me making sure i used him as support as i walked into the kitchen.
he's been at my side every night and Dave says in the morning Max won't budge if i am sleeping, he stays next to me.

NOW 2 weeks ago when my daughter had knee surgery he did the same thing when she tried to walk, he'd lean into her good leg and offer support.
he never let her out of his sight while she stayed with us.

NOW max has been a support in past with me when i was injured and also had surgery too. Though i have seen him do this before I will say it never ceases to amaze me at the same time.

now maybe other dogs do this but i will say this is a 1st for me ever having a dog so in tune to me or my family being sick or hurting from surgery or injury.
max is also good with anyone who is mentally depressed.

I pray Max makes it to therapy work to let others experience his genuine caring and love.
I've always done volunteer work my whole life and this is how i'd love to continue doing it: therapy work with Max

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
What a good boy you are Max - I think Max will make a great therapy dog.

I sure hope you are feeling better soon Annmarie

Annabelle can tell when I'm not feeling well,more than usual anyhow and stays closer to me.

I had several surgeries when we had our lab, Brandy and she stuck like glue to me, also if one of us was sick, she was on the bed with us or the couch, she was the best nurse :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diane,do NOT be like me and wait 11days to get to the doctor!!!

and hahahaaaaaaaaaaa he did doodle 500runs, is Dakota and Beau related ? what a good boy Dakota is trying to make his sick mommie feel better by laughing!! hahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i hope you feel better soon Diane....this flu is the sickest i've ever been in my whole life.

Mary thanks and also it is neat when they watch over us.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Diane, we posted at same time so didnt see your post

I sure hope you dont get the flu at it's worst and be good to yourself, take care, lots of rest and fluids and chicken soup if you can tolerate and lots and lots of doodle hugs

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I went to the doc right away and was put on antibiotics for this.....I guess.....sinus infection and fever.
Bogie has been cuddling next to me in bed. I think he can tell, but at 5 months old, I'm not quite sure yet.
I DO, however, have to say that just tonight I was telling my husband what great therapy Bogie is for me.
I've been in a lot of pain and high anxiety lately. He really lets me bury my head in his soft coat around his neck and muzzle. He makes me feel soooooooo good!
Tonight, not feeling well, I was making dinner. I can't tell you how many times I got down on the floor and hugged him. He wagged his tail and let me. ..............and he laid at me feet wherever I moved.
More Doodle love for me!!.....such a JOY!

Annmarie.........we have the same goal. I have a feeling Max will make it! I hope Bogie will too someday!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Annmarie, what did the doctor say? Did you have an infection on top of the flu, the way Lindamarie and I did? I waited a week before checking with my doctor, since I'd always had it drilled into me by my doctor dad that there's nothing you can do for a flu or virus but wait it out. However, infections on top of that are treatable and that definitely help shorten recovery time.

Now that the erythromycin is out of my system I'm feeling even better. What a mixed blessing it is!

Chouette has been very cuddly while I was sick, and seemed accepting of a far reduced level of activity. She naturally has a very sweet and loving personality, so I don't know whether she knew something wasn't right or whether she was just taking advantage of all the time I was spending in my easychair to get more lap time for herself. She sticks to me like glue anyway. But how wonderful of Max to be there for you like that! It does make you feel so special, doesn't it?

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have pneumonia..........so i am on strong antibiotics, still running fevers daily and pray i start to improve soon.
i too leslie thinking ihad a viral flu let it run its 8-10day course then went doctor's on 11day.

LESLIE thanks so much for asking and yes my 3 are extra good when i am feeling extra sick :wink:

DIANE how are you doing?

Please if anyone else gets this flu go to the doctor's

·
Registered
985 Posts
My doctor told me that it would be 48 hours before I'd start to see any benefit from the antibiotic, and she was right. Even then the improvement was very slow. I'm SO glad you went to the doctor's, Annmarie! This flu is a real bear! I'll bet your chest was really hurting, with pneumonia. It could have turned into something very serious if you hadn't gotten it treated!

Get well!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm going to spray my computer with Lysol :eek: I think the Flu is going around the room on this forum :shock: Hope you all get betta soon!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YOU MEAN MY VIRUS CHECKER ISN'T WORKING :shock:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh I really hope everyone starts feeling better!

Somewhat related - Kirby has been really cute with Dexter's recovery. He lays next to him all the time now and has started sleeping on Dexter's dog bed (yes Dex is up in our human bed). I think he can tell Dex is sick.

Of course when I was sick they were begging to go outside to play every 20 min and were doing doodle 500s around the house, but I only had a small cold, not the flu.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chou was really good when I was sick. We got a Chuckit ball and tried to give her some extra excercise, but it must have been very boring to an active puppy, since mostly all I did was sit in my chair and either read or feel miserable - or both simultaneously.

Today I took her into my studio so I could work on my portrait, and she was excellent. I asked DH to come let her out at least once so I wouldn't have to think about that, but the rest of the time she lay on her bed and chewed toys or wandered around. Only once did I have to remove a stone (from an indoor plant pot) from her. So I had a very productive morning. Our Dane used to love to come to the studio with me - I was never sure why - and keep me company.

Leslie

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I had this flu really bad last year, as did my family.
Denver laid by my side for three days,(I literally could not get up) he semed to totally understand...............What an awesome boy he is............

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohhh SUE that is soooooooo sweet

GOOD NEWS: my doctor called me again today and has me checking in with him again Monday

my chest is clearing up quite well........yesterday i broke the fever but it was back today but not over 102 for once, and i was able to stand for most of the day today ---1st time in 14 days!!

soooo the antibiotics are beggining to work now and i am taking it easy still along with all 3 doodles still being PERFECT angels sitting or laying by my side every day all day long. WOW!

and i am supposed to start my new job Monday but i get to work from home :D :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
SO HAPPY YOU ARE UPRIGHT A BIT NOW ANNMARIE..SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU 'VE BEEN SO SICK...& EVERY ONE ELSE..:(

THE FLU IS NASTY THIS YEAR, EVERYONE WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN , ESPECIALLY AFTER BEING IN PUBLIC AREAS, IN FACT STAY OUT OF PUBLIC AREAS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS....
WISH I COULD, I WORK IN A HOSPITAL , SO I CANT ESCAPE THAT..
BUT I WORRY ABOUT THIS FLU EVERY YEAR..SEEMS TO GET WORSE & STRONGER...
STOCK UP ON PURELL FOR THE HOME...& OR CAR...
JUST BY 5 CENTS WORTH...
HOPE ALL WHO ARE SICK GET BETTER SOON... :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WARNING: if anyone gets this flu PLEASE DO NOT GET ACTIVE the first day or two you feel good, i ran a fever again !!!

meaning i ran a fever 16 out of 18days...felt a bit better and started doing normal tasks along with working part time at the moment
then 5 days later i got sick again for 2 days...........i am laying LOW!!!

dave has the flu too and he learned the same lesson and now is taking off the next 2 days from work

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I trust that you are all over the flu by now (I had a 2 week bout of it too...it was a tough one!)
Yes, my dogs are very loving when I am sick. They have great instincts. Sometimes, I get up to go to the bathroom and come back to find a gooey, old tennis ball on my pillow! No idea which dog left it. Too cute.
They also want to cuddle up to my chest...they check out my ears...
Funny...but so endearing.
My favorite is Lexie...whenever I sneeze, she brings me a toy or a sock or a dust bunny...whatever is nearby!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts