Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like a dumb question but tonight I gave Charlie a bath. He hadn't been bathed since his grooming trip in mid-December. Since then we had a week of mud and plenty of outdoor play. I brush him regularly which removes any clumps of mud but I still figured he'd be pretty dirty. (It's hard to tell with a black dog!)

So... as the water is running, I'm not seeing any dirty water coming off of this doodle. It's all running clear. Where does all the dirt go? Does it not settle/stick on this type of coat? What is your experience?

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
during winter i bathe my doodles every 5 to 6 weeks...and hmm they're due again hahahhaaaa
and their doggy bed will show it and i brush them 4 times a week
our water does turn a little but not alot
only during spring .......OMG the mud!! my floors need mopping 3 times a week minimum to stay clean

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
debbildog said:
into my carpet.
LOL! Yes, my carpets are disgusting. I guess I expected some of it to have imbedded in the coat or against the skin. But not so! Doodles are evidently self-cleaning! It's just the carpet, furniture, bedding that really need the bath. :D

Deb

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah is self-cleaning, Rumor easy cleaning.......Miko......let's just say she likes to save it for the bed! She likes to leave a little dirt outline so everyone knows where "her spot" is! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've never bathed Chou myself - except once out on the dock in the summer - so I don't know what the water would look like, but she seems to be self-cleaning. I don't notice her leaving marks on anything. The other day I had to do a spot scrub because she rolled in some droppings. I was wondering where that delightful scent was coming from, and a quick inspection showed me some telltale marks on her neck. Other than that she stays pretty clean.

She's due for a grooming; I have her on an eight-week interval. But I'm thinking six weeks might be better because she's looking rather unkempt. She'd look worse if I hadn't done an interim trim on her face, rear and paws.

Leslie

Whoops, I take that back. :( We'll have to bathe her in the laundry sink after breakfast. She apparently rolled in some more droppings on her walk this morning! :evil:

Where do you bathe your doodles? In your tub or what?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
River Rat said:
Where do you bathe your doodles? In your tub or what?
We have a full bath in our basement and I use that tub for the doodle. No one uses it otherwise. It's kinda funny because Charlie was so jealous of Lucky getting a bath and Lucky LOVED the tub. He would climb in a stand there if I left the door open. ANYWAY, Charlie was excited that it was finally his turn UNTIL I started spraying him down... :D

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We bathe them in our one and only tub :) It's upstairs...Dexter will jump right in, but Kirby isn't crazy about water so we have to carry him in (luckily he's less than 45 lbs).

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hah!!! I was just wondering why my floors seem to especially dirty anymore!
Tuesday has always seemed to just drop hair.
Marley with his poodley coat must be dropping his dirt in the house. I suppose that as he gets bigger, I should expect the amount to increase.....I washed him yesterday, and yes, the water wasn't very dirty.
Guess I should start shopping for vac bags in bulk!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Okay, (pant, pant!) post-bath here! We filled our laundry tub partway full and plunked Chouette in it. I can't believe how good she was - she just sat there. She was excited when we ran the water, and she actually seemed to enjoy her bath. The laundry tub was easier on our backs once we got her in there, and we used a cup to rinse her. The water wasn't that clean, either, when we were done. I used Neutrogena soap, which is very mild and smells good, and Neutrogena conditioner. That's what I use for my hair, too. I probably didn't do a very good job of conditioning, and I didn't get her muzzle and eyes, of course, but at least she's clean.

After we got her out she ran around like a crazy thing, barking excitedly. I toweled her dry, did a quick vacuum downstairs which got her blood coursing again, since she loves to chase the wand, and now she's lying by the woodstove. I'll bet she's exhausted!

(DH had suggested bathing her in the clawfooted tub in my studio, but it doesn't have a spray attachment either, and I also like to keep my studio for art only. In fact I stopped using the computer there and it's now DH's; I don't like to mix right and left-brained activities and I want to feel when I go in that I'm going to do only painting or framing.)

I guess once she's dry I'll try to do a thorough brushing. Is that what y'all do?

What an interesting morning!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok...i bathe all 3 doodles here in the tub that has sliding doors
wish it were big enough to fit all 3 --it isn't

So I bathe 2 doodles at the same time...Beau and peanut are easy to do together. then DAVE will dry them off while i bathe Max alone

it doesn't take me long to do all 3 and i love how they get soooo excited afterwards doing the face rubs in rugs and then doodle 500 runs nonstop

during the summer it's outside with the hose in the driveway
they stand still and are really good

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
After we got her out she ran around like a crazy thing, barking excitedly. I toweled her dry, did a quick vacuum downstairs which got her blood coursing again, since she loves to chase the wand, and now she's lying by the woodstove. I'll bet she's exhausted!

(DH had suggested bathing her in the clawfooted tub in my studio, but it doesn't have a spray attachment either, and I also like to keep my studio for art only. In fact I stopped using the computer there and it's now DH's; I don't like to mix right and left-brained activities and I want to feel when I go in that I'm going to do only painting or framing.)

I guess once she's dry I'll try to do a thorough brushing. Is that what y'all do?
hehe...Dexter does doodle 500s all around the house when he's done too :) Kirby is a bit more energetic, but not as much as his brother.

Oh yeah - we recently upgraded our shower head to include a spray attachment - it makes giving them baths SOOOO much easier!!

Glad that you had a good experience with Chou :) I love a clean smelling doodle (ours are not so clean smelling right now).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I usually bathe Abby in our Jacuzzi however my wife reports bathing her in the over sized Shower is easier on the back. Luckily we had our shower and tub equipped with hand held nozzles as well as standard shower heads so rinsing is a breeze! We used human (Pantene)hair conditioner last time and her coat was super soft!!! I wash her bed pillow every week as well which helps keep her clean...mtd
PS a groomer told me to thoroughly brush out her coat BEFORE a bath to prevent matting which I did with great success.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I cannot give Nicky a bath in the bathtub. At 83 pounds I can't lift him and he refuses to get in on his own. He really doesn't like water much! He has a plastic kiddie pool that he'll only get in it if it's empty! I gave him a bath one time out on the patio using the hose, but it wasn't fun for either of us. Because of all this, I take him to a groomer to be bathed.

Has anyone tried a do-it-yourself dog wash place? I know there's one about 10 miles from me. I need to go check it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My DH used to take our Australian Shepherd to a place like that and it worked out very well...probably won't make your guy any happier, but should make your life easier. They have nice roomy set ups and even a dryer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bathtime

All of you with dark dogs are so lucky.. My little white Maggie looks dirty 2 days after her bath.. Vet has me washing her twice a week now with medicated shampoo for skin problems.. She's not crazy about it but getting a little better I guess...I know she would not like the shower at all... Funny thing - we have an exchange student with us from South Korea this year and she loves the dog.. This has now become her chore and she does it quite well.. My hubby would like to send the dog back with her in June... I would send him first!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts