Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking arms, legs, etc! Tyke isn't trying to bite, but she comes at everything and everyone with her mouth wide open, and those baby teeth are like needles! (I have the scratches to prove it!) She has just made me a new pair of jeans for camping, b/c she has ripped about three holes in them by jumping up and grabbing with those fangs! Our trainer at puppy preschool (where she is an absolute angel - they don't understand what we are talking about!) tells us that when she jumps up, simply turn your back (that's how I got the hole in the seat of my jeans - gonna have to patch that one!) I've even tried carrying a rolled up newspaper and slapping it against my hand or leg to make a scary sound - Tyke thinks that is FUN! (Usually sets off a Doodle 500!) My mom is wondering if those caps they put on cat's claws would work on her teeth :lol: She is doing it out of pure playfulness, but my friends are beginning to wonder if I am some kind of closet drug addict and these are really needle marks on my arms........
It's a good thing she is sooo cute!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Ahhhh....sweet memories....of PAIN!! :lol: They do grow out of it. With Jonah I used to say OUCH really loud and cross my arms. Still works today if he gets too wound up in play. Time outs are good too.
Good luck, and enjoy this little bites, cause they grow soooooo fast!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you are right - in a year or so, I will long for those puppy days! (Although I do look forward to picking up those baby teeth off the floor when she starts losing them!) :lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Aagghhh! I feel your pain - really! We celebrated when Charlie's needle sharp baby teeth came out. I think that was around 5 months. DH still has them on his dresser. :D For a long time I kept my sewing kit on my desk because not a day went by without a whole being ripped in a tshirt. He even ripped a 3-corner tear in the sleeve of DH's best suit. (Of course, that's what he gets for playing with a puppy before changing. :wink: ) My arms and legs were completely covered with scratch marks.

The good news is that it doesn't hurt now that the puppy teeth are gone. The bad news is that Charlie is still mouthy. We work on "no bite" all the time but when he is excited, there is no stopping him.

I had to teach him the command "lick". I did this by rubbing hot dog on my hand and then rewarding him for each "lick". It's kinda weird but now I can offer an alternative to go with "no bite".

I've been told that he might outgrow this in 2 or 3 YEARS! I suppose the positive side is that he is an excellent retriever. He likes to walk himself by carrying his own leash. And he has great bite inhibition. He knows not to use pressure.

Good luck!

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK ..Peanut was like Little Tyke...so mouthy hahhahaaaaaaaaa

I finally taught Peanut to sit beside me and I'd stroke her head and body saying Good Settle . It stopped her from biting as much and gave her the hint she'd get MORE attention with NO biting

Also the next stage I taught Peanut " KISS KISS" so she kisses the side of my chin instead of mouthing me

I am NOT SAYING how long it took me to teach her this hahahhahahaa

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How good to know I am not alone!! I guess all owners of puppy doodles have to look like heroin addicts for a while! It is so worth it though!!!! I will try your suggestions - actually her bite inhibition HAS gotten a lot better - it's those accidental "snags" that are such killers!! :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're a new puppy family here too and working our way through the puppy mouthy, bitey, teething stage.

I read somewhere (I think in Tamar Gellar's "The Loved Dog") that one thing to try is to smear a favorite substance on the back side of your hand. Our Goldendoodle pup, Alfi, likes Honey but liver paste or peanut butter would work too. Then encourage the pup to give "Kisses". It gives a desired behavior a name and encourages positive contact. I think she also suggests being vocal (like a loud "Ouch!") when biting happens and offerring lots of yummy chew toys to help sooth the gums. We've actually been seeing great improvement with these techniques even though Alfi is only a little over 9wks old. He also knows basic commands like "Sit" and "Down" so they help stop behaviors too.

Other than that I think it's just a matter of waiting it out . . . know that there's others of us out there looking forward to the end of holey clothes!

:p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "OUCH" seems to be working this morning - now Mom and I just have to keep remembering that when we hear screams coming from another room that no one is really hurt :p

Giving kisses is a good idea - she will already give us kisses on the nose, so it shouldn't be to hard to encourage the same things with hands, especially with a littl peanut butter!!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
LOL Kim, nope you are Not alone ! I live in leggings, most comfy for me, I have numerous pair that became sleeping leggings due to all the little holes in the back of the calves - AB would run up behind me and grab :shock:

Tyke, I see you have a hedgehog, they are so Fun to DeStuff :wink: - Love Annabelle

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Sweet memories of pain for sure.
I used to literally sit down in the middle of the yard and cry
my eyes out as I was terrified of my little (yes he was little once)
puppy biting me.
They do outgrow it but you will have a whole new wardrobe
bahhahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
985 Posts
I wondered why Chouette had to interact with flashing teeth, too, although she never bit holes in my clothes. She did aerate a couple of my granddaughter's t-shirts, though; she had the most trouble with the jumping up and nipping.

When we got back from our trip and picked Chou up after two and a half weeks at the dogsitter's, the behavior was pretty much gone. She had just turned six months old. And I never did find those baby teeth, but she seems to have big shiny white ones, now.

When she was mouthy with me I told her "No biting! Let's have some licks!" and then I'd praise her for "good licks" when I got them. So it did give her an alternative way to interact.

Don't worry, this too shall pass!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't wait for those big shiny grown up teeth!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Litttle TYKE's mommie is going to eat those words later on
hahhahahhahhahahaaaaaaa heh heh heh hahhahaaaaaaa

i ain't a saying why CUZ i'd spoil alllllllllll the fun in store hahahhahaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yes, I remember well. :shock:
Coco was a pretty aggressive nipper!
I, like Sue, sat and cried one time....
because it really hurt, and because she did rip big holes into clothes
( jumping up and latching on and then on the way down to the floor....whatever she had bitten onto, my pant leg, robe hem, etc. ripped....including sometimes my skin!!)
Coco sometimes would get very lungey
and really sort of attacked me in a way...It was scary a few times
....she was correctable, but I wondered sometimes
if I had gotten the ONLY mean :evil: doodle out there!!
She's not like that anymore. We worked hard on discouraging all that.

I found her puppy teeth all over the place
and she lost them nearly all at once!!
It was kind of funny....I don't miss those razors in her mouth....I have some in a baby food jar!! Gene, you're not alone!

She will be 1 year old next month and she can still be mouthy....doesn't bite, but still in play she grabs your hand....or my cuff....she quits when you tell her to, BUT...I long for the day she forever quits this behavior.
HA! Hmmmmm. We'll see. :?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Glad to see that I am not the only one whose Doodle
made them cry.
As we are all saying they do outgrow it and all you can do
is try all the advice and hopefully something will work for you
and in the meantime if you feel like crying just know that you do not have
the only mean doodle, you just have a baby that in time will grow up. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
And......Oh, my goodness !
what wonderful love bugs they are through it all and
as they grow up and out of some of that baby pup
behavior ......it's all sooooooooo worth it!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
cocoandjane said:
And......Oh, my goodness !
what wonderful love bugs they are through it all and
as they grow up and out of some of that baby pup
behavior ......it's all sooooooooo worth it!!!
Oh you are so right Jane!!!!!!! :wink:
These dogs are so wonderful and they truly are worth every bite
babahahahahahahaaaa

1 - 20 of 22 Posts