Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
in the backyard it s in the bark..in the front it s anywhere
there green :x

when i catch this i usually water it down..when there s loose poo..
FREE FERTILIZER :p

i don t think pictures are permitted about this :?

·
Registered
247 Posts
i wish we had a yard. sigh. but - i can attest to the fact that dog urine kills grass b/c the little dog park down the block has several yellow patches where they all pee (attracted to those spots by smell). the rest of the park is lush and green. also, there is a little tree in front of the house with weeds growing around it. shaia peed on it every day for many weeks and the weeds went yellow and died.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok when your dog pees, the salt in the urine is what causes bushes and grass to yellow up and/or turn brown.

a quick hosing on a bush can rescue it from damage.

we have designated "potty" areas for our doodles

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I am sorry i can't help with that. Cacao just makes my grass greener and taller. Speaking of that I need to mow again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ask, because I've noticed a few brown patches on our lawn around where Puddles' pees and wasn't sure if he was causing it. Our sod is less than 2 years old and was a little pricey so we want to keep it looking nice, if we can. We've talked about creating a designated spot on the side of the house with landscaping stones for a potty place, but I wasn't sure if he pees in one spot, if it will get really stinky on stones. I wonder if bark mulch would be better. Does anyone have an opinion on the matter?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Natalie..i ve got bark out there now..the other two dog s
are good with it..but, Toby has a tendancy to chew on it..and
on occasion eat..

if i had to do again i d look into some kinda rock..

·
Registered
260 Posts
it's the nitrogen in dog urine that causes the yellow spots. nitrogen is a fertilizer, but too much and the grass will die. it's the 'first thing in the morning' pee that does the most damage, because that's when the urine (and hence the nitrogen) is the most concentrated.

suggestions for eliminating the yellow spots include diluting the urine with water: http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resource ... ogs/76.htm

this web page has some suggestions for adjusting your landscaping to your dog: http://landscaping.about.com/od/lawns/a ... caping.htm

-em

1 - 12 of 12 Posts