Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you groom your own Doodle? If so, what number guards do you use on the main part of their bodies? Do you use scissors as well for creating that perfect doodle look? Our doodle has a fleece coat and she will be going to the groomer but I would love to eventually do it myself...Any tips?Thanks everyone. Best, Carey and Daisy and the Family :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nope - I wish I could, but Sadie doesn't even like to be brushed. We take her to a groomer. I admire anyone who can do their own grooming.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is easy as pie,,,i trim his beard down to 1/2in or closer, then his bangs, then along his gums/lips , then the sanitary cut
he's really good for me as i use very sharp haircutting scissors

peanut i bring to the groomers hahhaaaaaaaa but she is used to me using scissors on her face and head for in-between appts when her hair grows a bit long

Beau goes belly up doing the doodle pose for grooming hahhaa

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We groom Kirby...but he has more of a F1 mixed with poodle coat. We cut him with scissors. Dexter is too squirmy for us to groom. If you want to do this, I would start when your doodle is young.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Brush only.... once a week. Ozzie likes the hair on top of his head to stand straight up like spikes.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Just brushing...at least once every couple of days. Very thick coat of an F1b poodle makes life easier that way. Trim with scissors around eyes and mouth but don't have the guts to touch any of the rest of him.

G

·
I don't groom Maya. She is an F1so she doesn't need it but I am getting her shaved in a week. I am scared to see what she will look like!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice everyone...I have been trimming around Daisy's eyes a bit so far. I will take her to a groomer on Friday and hope to get some advice. I am a hairstylist so hopefully these skills will translate to giving Daisy a fairly good look, but we will have to see. She is just 6 months old and so far fairly cooperative. Has anyone ever purchased any of the Doodle Grooming DVD's? Thanks :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
grooming

I have always groomed Maya, my 3 year old doodle. Advice; start very young, make a game of touching and handling everywhere and building trust. I use Oster clippers for her body, scissors for ears and around her eyes and private areas and tail. It takes me about an hour every 3-4 weeks. I use the blending attachment on her body which cuts at about 1/2" and the next longer size for her legs. I asked my vet to show me how to trim her black nails the first time. She acts as if she's visiting a spa and loves the pampering. Of course there is always an edible treat for follow-up!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've always groomed Dante myself - I just can't personally justify the cost of going to the groomers. I try to clip his nails once a week. I trim his face with a rounded edge pair of grooming sissors that I either picked up from petsmart or a beauty supply store. I use Oster A5 clippers with a size 40 blade and a size 10 blade attachment (the longest I could find) that leaves the coat at ~ 1 1/4 inches. I have a very small cordless pair of clippers that I use for the sanitation areas. I've just looked at pictures and learned from trial and error what looks good and what doesn't. I am still learning and each trim usually looks better than the last.

Besides - I've seen on this forum and my neighbor's poor Bichon how bad a job a groomer can do - this way I have no one to blame but myself!

(Now if I could only learn how to shoe my own horse I could save a mint!)

Heather

·
Registered
189 Posts
No - I just wouldn't have the skills to do a good job with Jofi - I can barely manage my own hair lol!!!

I do however trim around her face (beard, eyes, ears) every now and again with grooming scissors. I do her ears and nails myself - plucking away excess ear hair and a weekly clean. I have a grooming set from the Doodle Country Store to keep her looking tidy - and a Les Pooches brush, which is really handy with a thick fleece coat and keeps her matt free. Oh, I trim around her pads and feet so she doesn't slide on the floors .

I have a couple of DVDs of Beverley Manners on grooming the Australian Labradoodle - I've found them useful with Jofi as I'm a complete beginner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wrigley hasn't been groomed at all yet (F1b Goldendoodle) but I've trimmed around his eyes & mouth w/scissors. I am going to need to get him groomed soon, because he's getting longer & his beard is always wet & dirty.

Can you guys attach photos of some of your "good grooming" experiences, so when I go to take him for the first time, I can show some photos of what I want him to look like?

I saw one of Annabell & really liked it. I don't want him shaved but need to show a groomer somehow what I want him to look like.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i tried to clip Toby s hair once and it did nt go very well..that evening
i made an a next day appointment with the groomer s :oops:

it s said that practice makes perfect..but, i m afraid that i would be the
exception and that thing s just sometime s go south onya..

Toby has gotten use to the brush..and i brush him every other day unless
he does something to warrant a brushing sooner..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts