Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys shave your doodle down in the summer? It has been over 90 degrees for the last week here. Charlie gets overheated quickly, I hate to hear her pant. I wet a bandana and put it around her neck to try to help her keep cool and I put ice in her water. I hear that some people shave them down and some leave them long to help insulate them from the heat. So what do you do? I got her cut down to 1/2 an inch. So far it is my favorite cut. I just love her short. She is so soft. Here is a long, 1 1/2 inch and 1/2 inch cuts.

I'd love to see your doodle's summer cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
We try to keep Jasper at the shortest length just like your last pic. He gets hot easily as well. In the winter we ended keeping it short too because his longer hair had too much static and caused tangles! It was awful!!

I think the shortest is best for his comfort and for his ease of brushing and keeping him clean.

You sure have a cutie pie :) long and short versions of him!

·
Registered
164 Posts
the thing is is that when they say that alot of people don't think before saying it! it is CERTAIN dogs that don't need shaved! ugh! my belgium shepard NEVER gets shaved. my golden gets clipped every once in a while and rylee has her own clippers now! the first week i had her she was getting WAY over heated (dry heat kills faster) i would bring her in and lay a bag of ice on her tummy! when she turned 14 weeks i had her clipped and she felt so much better! she would play longer and pant less!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Charlie is such a beautiful girl. Yes, we went the short summer cut route also. It grows so fast! It has been so hot. In fact, Breezy normally jumps into her kiddie pool after our morning walk. The picture below is...maybe two weeks after Breezy's (1/4") summer cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mal gets the shirt cut as well. I can't remember if it was 1/2 or 1/4" he got. He's due back to the groomer next week. He's starting to look like a hippy again :)

I saw a cooling collar at Pet People when I was there this week that has little ice packs around it...Its nothing but water inside the packs so if it should happen to leak or what not it wouldn't hurt the dog. Less than $20 for a medium. Thinking I may get one of those for. Since he won't go in the water and we are going to a pool party/cook out Saturday. And it's going to be 900 degrees :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
This is Bogart's first summer in 3 years that I have kept him long. Every day, I debate taking him in. The breeder and his groomer say it's a matter of choice because the long coat can act like insulation. I don't know.:roll:
I just might have him clipped when we go to Lake Michigan........less sand in the hair.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My thought is do what's not only best for the dog but what's best for you. I think both the long and the short cuts look great so it boils down to dog AND owner comfort. Long coats or more work but doable, short coats are low maintenance and fun. Stanlee has a course/wiry coat so I don't think (at this point) we will be shaving in the summer. However, if it comes down to it the choice is what's best for him.

Charlie and Breezy look fabulous and ready for the summer! I see Breezy is 34 lbs, how old is she? I may have a monster on my hands.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think you're right - here he is at his first vet appointment at just under 33 pounds. But I have a motto, "No need to bend down to pet my dog."

(tried to include a picture in this reply but I'm a technoidiot so I'll put it in his album instead.)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you're right - here he is at his first vet appointment at just under 33 pounds. But I have a motto, "No need to bend down to pet my dog."

(tried to include a picture in this reply but I'm a technoidiot so I'll put it in his album instead.)
Here's the photo, that is going to be one big dog.:D Charlie was 16 lbs at 16 weeks. The vet said double the weight and add about 10 lbs to get the adult weight.

I can't add photos to the photo albums any more. There is no upload photo button. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love breezy's cut. What do you tell them as far as type of cut? Oscar is young, 10 weeks, but I want to get his cut because its been so hot and also to get rid of some of the staining on his fur that he came with. I don't want a poodle type cut though.

Is he too young to get his cut?

LOL, I get nervous because I took my boys to get haircuts once and the guy says "Does a no. 1 sounds good?" and i had no idea what he was talking about but said "yep, sounds great" and they came out looking bald :O

·
Registered
395 Posts
aquaviti, my groomer is very familiar with labradoodles and their coats. I gave her a picture of what I wanted. I asked for 1/4" summer cut which is a little bit shorter than it looks in Breezy's picture. I don't know if it's because she's still a puppy...but it grows back fast. I will be taking her back every 6 weeks until it gets cooler. Breezy was 4 months with her first cut.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I told her to do the 1/2 inch on her body but to leave her legs, face and head a bit longer. The hair on the top of her head is still a bit too long, it is about 2 1/2 inches. It grows into her eyes so quickly. I tell her to leave her mustache a little longer or else she looks too much like a poodle. I think there are a lot of doodle owners that leave them with huge long mustaches. I think it looks weird if it is not kind of straight. Charlie's mustache is curly so it just sticks out.

Her hair grows so quickly I don't sweat it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts