Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We try to brush Bogart's twice a week.
He's getting more use to it! :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner gets his teeth brushed about every other night. No he doesn't just sit there and open his mouth...I have to bribe him. He loves the poultry flavored toothpaste. He mainly wants to eat the toothpaste but I figure that once a week each tooth actually gets brushed.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Once a week, I sometimes can get two times in a week. But I have so much going on I thought once a week was ok. My vet was very happy i did it at all. But Cacao is getting better with it she knows it doesn't take long if she works with me.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Never, i let the bones do it for me. I do check them regularily to see if there is anything building up and so far they are pearly white!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Once a week I wrestle Ozzie to the ground (think: King Kong wrestling with the Tyranosaurus!) and I can usually do a good job on his choppers. Yeah, he loves the poultry flavored toothpaste.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've never brushed Nicky's teeth. Heck, he just started letting me clip his nails, so it will probably be forever before he lets me brush his teeth!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I never brush Denver's teeth but I do massage his gums
and literally pick out anything that should not be there
Yucky I know but that is how I do all the animals teeth......... :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
Never, i let the bones do it for me. I do check them regularily to see if there is anything building up and so far they are pearly white!
ditto!

·
Registered
398 Posts
My Mission, should I choose to accept it :wink: is to 'brush" everyday.
Right now we are working on using my fingers to rub the teeth and gums, then I'm supposed to add the paste to my finger and then finally the brush.

At least thats what my vet suggested. And for now the little monster has no problem with my fingers in his mouth. :twisted:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doodle Toothbrushing

Once I realized that Ben smelled better when I washed his face after meals with a warm washcloth and dried it, both he and I began looking forward to the ritual face-washing.

Then I began slipping the washcloth wrapped around a finger into his mouth and scrubbing his teeth with it, only a little at first, and then more thoroughly as he became accustomed to it. He seems almost to enjoy it. and when I use a little chicken flavored toothpaste and he likes it even more!! I've also tried the finger toothbrush, but he likes the washcloth better and I think it does a better job. I try to do it daily but at least three times a week.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that he does get rewarded for his cooperation with a tiny homemade salmon treat when we're done.

Mary in AK

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not necessary with a RAW diet. As KT posted I check Abby's teeth for tartar and have not found any. The gnawing,tugging and pulling on the tendons connecting the bones acts as floss and keeps her mouth sweet smelling and clean. No doggy breath at all! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts