Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie has developed a breath problem this summer. Whew!

I knew that we were supposed to brush her teeth but must admit we were pretty lax doing it. Now I understand- dog breath! I tried it tonight and she put up with it for a while but was not really too comfortable with the whole process.

Do you all brush your dog's teeth?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner likes to have his teeth brushed..or let's say he likes toothpaste (poultry flavored from vet not mine). He will come to me at bedtime when I am brushing mine to have his brushed, then wants an ice cube or two as a reward.... :lol: :lol:

He also gets raw marrow bones and they help clean his teeth.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
How cute Annie

I brushed AB's for the first time this week - let's say I tried to brush AB's teeth, she had a different idea :roll: - gonna be a 2 person job for sure - even though she chews on her bones, she has some plaque building up that I wanna get rid of - have doggie no rinse tootpaste - got a brush that does both sides at once -not sure if that will work or not

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I don't brush my dogs teeth.
They have a variety of chews, get bones and eat dry food, all of which help keep the teeth clean. None of the 3 has a breath problem, and the 2 who've seen the vet recently had no dental issues.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have never brushed Denver's teeth,
no need yet, but since he was a baby I have rubbed his gums
so that when I need to brush he will be
used to it. His breath is still very nice and he has the whitest teeth

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
to-date i havn't brushed peanut and max's teeth. They both got the flouride treatment only so far. I have given then dental bones in the past though.

i was just talking to DAVE about this recently and wahlaaa here's a post on it.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we bought this thing that allows the dog to sort of brush his/her own teeth. It's shaped like a bone and has pads on each side. You put the dog toothpaste on it and give it to the dog for 5 minutes and when he/she chews on it, their teeth get brushed. We have only used it a few times (Dex chews on bones a lot and his teeth stay pretty clean), but lately his breath has been bad so maybe we need to start using the brush again.

We got this at Petsmart - I really don't know if it works though - but we thought it was a cute idea and worth a try.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of bones do you use? I had read somewhere not to use real bones. Is there a certain kind of bone that is safe and effective for cleaning the teeth?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We use bones and chews too, my dogs (except for Rosie) have beautiful, white teeth. Rosie is getting plaque...so I bought the beef flavored toothpaste and one of those double sided toothbrushes. She wasn't crazy about it...but start slowly, let them lick the tooth paste off for a time or two, then brush one side, once or twice, then the next one the next day...soon you will be able to brush them.
The reason it is good to brush them, even when not really necessary, is that it give you a good opportunity to check for splinters in their teeth or lumps that need attention...broken teeth, etc.
Still, a nice RAW bone from the butcher is good. So are the hard toys and the brush toys mentioned earlier.
Bad breath may be caused by an internal issue though, so if it continues, you might want to visit the vet, just to be sure!
http://dogs.about.com/od/thehealthybasi ... _teeth.htm

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Two of them might move a little faster
if they think there is some food in his mouth.
They like to sit under him when he is eating and catch what he drops
Bahahahahahahhahhaa!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts