Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, do you make them stay off when you have company? I'm torn about whether to allow Doc on the furniture or not. I allow my little toy poodle on the furniture, but, it doesn't seem right to make Doc stay off when she can do it. However, he is so much bigger and has a greater potential for getting it dirty. Sometimes just my husband, kids and I take up all the furniture in the family room and would have to make Doc stay down, but Sarah can easily jump up and sit on our laps. I'm afraid his not being allowed on the furniture is contributing to the conflict I'm having between Doc and Sarah. Your experience would be appreciated! :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We allow Hershey (25 lbs) and Tyson (100lbs Golden retriever) to when there is space available. As long as they get down when told to and are happy on the floor when you need the space for humans, i dont see the problem. I usually keep a cotton cover on the couch that can be washed for daily use, and it can come off for company.

I had a friend who's dog had "their seat" that nobody else could sit in or it growled, that was annoying.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to know Movistar, thanks. Doc is frequently trying to play with Sarah and he's way too big and rough so Sarah is scared of him and when she snarls and bites at his face, it doesn't have any affect on him. Then she runs away and he chases her. I've been wondering if he doesn't like the fact that she is in some positions of dominance over him and he doesn't like that. (Cesar Milan says that the pack leader takes the higher ground over the other dogs) She sleeps on our bed, but, Doc sleeps in the laundry room and I don't think he even knows she sleeps on our bed. I would love to let Doc sleep on the floor in my room, but, I definitely don't want him to sleep on the bed because he's way too big. When we first got Doc, he slept in my son's room, but started to seem like he preferred to sleep in the laundry room. Maybe I'm just making too much of this. I really would like them to get along better though. My other two previous dogs never minded Sarah being allowed on the furniture and sleeping on the bed, but, they were more submissive, got along fine with Sarah, and were also adults when we brought Sarah home.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
kim my four pounder sleeps in my bed too lol and all my big dogs sleep on the floor. I have a king bed and we tried to let them sleep in the bed, but I need room so they have the floor!

angus (the little one) is crabby so usually they dont interact but when angus wants to play he has taught the big dogs a game he likes which is he grabs their lips or ears and they ar suppose to stay on the floor and tolerate it. they actually do it, its hilarious! lol when the bigs dogs want to play with angus they bark at him and get down some. if he is in the mood he will bark back and run around for them to chase. hopefully your dogs will find what works for them even if thats not to interact :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester and Archie are both allowed on the furniture unless there are people who need a seat. Then its the floor.
At first I said 'No dogs on the furniture'...then it was 'Dogs on the furniture as long as they stay on blanket'...now its 'Eh...let them be comfy'. But they will get off when we tell them to. When they both decide to lay on the same couch there is no people room. It ends up looking like a furry sofa.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Angie.

Cheserpal - you made me chuckle. I'm sure I'm probably headed down the same path as you! :lol:

·
Registered
434 Posts
We have new furniture and we live in Oregon where it rains ALOT in winter...So I am not allowing Calvin to get on the furniture at this time. BUT, he will jump on the couch as soon as I look away. We bought him a new dog bed to put in the living room NEXT to our couch..he is not the least bit interested in that, though. I am constantly telling him to "get off". At least he minds.....Leslie

·
Registered
77 Posts
We do let 80 pound Maggie on the furniture. at first we were not going to, but that boat has floated.

she just looks so adorable flopped out on the overstuffed chair in my office, looking wistfully out the window and sighing while I do my computer work. She loves hanging out in the living room on the leather furniture too, and so far has not ruined it.

After I had surgery this summer and spent a few days on the couch, she just laid next to me and rested her head on my lap, so i guess we decided it was okay. she doesn't shed so it is okay with us.

now, i must admit when I finally get to go to bed (a few hours after hubby has fallen asleep in our bed), i do get a little miffed to find Miss Maggie laying on my side of the bed!!
She does sleep in the laundry room, and I do believe we will hold the line on her sleeping in our bed. so far, she hasn't, and I have no plans to let her sleep with us.

I think it is okay as long as there is room.
Christine

·
Registered
228 Posts
Geeze, seems I am in the minority here. I don't let Coal on the furniture. That's not to say that I have not found him lounging on one of the chairs a couple of times but normally he doesn't get on the furniture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can train him to only go on the couch when invited by you or someone else.

I trained my dogs to only jump up on the couch when i ask them too, that way when visiters come they wont jump on the couch unless someone wants to cuddle with them :)

Im sure when im gone though they jump up anyways.

I only let my dogs on my old couch though, I just got a new couch and i dont like them on it, i hate that the cats sleep on it, but i cant do anything about it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I was going to write what hydesmom wrote...

I think that if you want to allow your dog on the furniture, that's great...but teach the dog only to come onto the furniture by invitation.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I do think you can train them to stay off when you want them to and allow them on at specific times. I use a throw to keep off the dirt if they have it on their paws and hair.

But like someone said who knows what they do when your gone unless you crate them. :lol: I can just see my dogs see me getting my purse and see the door shut and they look at each other and say run for the couch Mom's gone. :wink:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm pretty sure they wait until the door clicks shut and then rush over to the couchs they aren't supposed to be on...laughing all the way!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. I've been experimenting with inviting Doc up. I just haven't broached the subject with my husband yet. He would initially be totally against it, but, he usually gives in. 8)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't mind my dogs being on the furniture but my husband isn't crazy about it. It's so funny though because I will go out to start chores and forget something and come thru the kitchen door and there is Mikko sitting in the big red leather chair with his head up on the back of the chair and a look like "Uh oh, I'm had"

Mikko never offers to get on the furniture until we go outside, Archie on the other hand will get up on the ottoman of the red chair and lay down whenever he wants. He knows he's just too cute and mom won't make him get down, and he's right, I won't :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts