Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most Doodle owners get thier Doodles hair cuts? I like the shabby look so I guess I thought I would just let it grow. My husband said we need to trim his hair around his"bottom" so we don't have poopie stuck to his hair. Also I wondered when is the best time to get Cub "fixed"? He will be 9 months on June 1 st. I love reading questions and stories about Doodles. So many time it sounds just like Cubbie. I really enjoy looking at the photos. I also tried to down load a photo in Photo Bucket but I guess I was not smart enough to do it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Per our vet check today, we can't/shouldn't get our doodles hair cut yet, but he's only 10.5 weeks old. When we can, I will get him trimmed down since he's hating the heat already and it's only been in the mid-80s. For now, just ice water and fans and A/C.

Our vet did say that the fixin' is recommended for 8 months since Cody will be a large dog (we're expecting at least 90 pounds when done). Smaller dogs are done around 6 months. Not sure why the difference, but that's what my DH was told today. So I would guess Cub can be fixed anytime now.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What generation is your doodle? Tanner is a F1B and if we don't have him groomed, he gets matted. I can keep him mat free between 1-2 inches but any longer and he would mat, expecially because we taking him hiking and he gets into all sorts of bushes and burrs.

:wink:

Gene, can you help with how to load photos...love to see cubby :!:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is Cub what you call a F1? His mother was Lab and father was poodle.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hmm... I wonder why they would want you to wait so long to get a dog fixed? Maybe so the hormones could help with the growth? My vet said that the liver is fully developed and can handle the anethesia at 4 months so any time after that is fine.

Furthermore, our town requires you to license your dog by 6 months old and it is much more expensive if they aren't fixed.

Dante does not appear that his coat is going to get so long that he requires grooming. It seems to have stopped or really slowed down in growth at around 4-5 inches long. I comb him daily so matts haven't been a real problem. We have always, since a few weeks of age, given him periodic sanitation clips - where we shave a bit of hair around his privates so that poop doesn't get stuck on his hair and his belly stays free of urine.

I will say that his face and brows are starting to get a bit too shaggy and that I might trim his face a bit so he can see. - I will be sure to post pictures as I'm too cheap to use a groomer so it might take me a few times to figure out what to cut, how short to cut it, and what shape to cut it - :oops:

Heather

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am one of the "Shaggy Dog Lovers". Puffy is almost 7 months ols and I have yet to get him groomed. I have experimented with my own trimming. I have trimmed his beard just because I am not to keen on the slobbery kisses.

i have recently run into some matts lately but have been controlling them with combing/brushing combnied with de-tangler spray. Has worked so far but matting seems to be increasing so I am thinking of giving him a cut. Probably just a trimm on his underside and arm/leg pit areas. I was told by another doodle owner that a long coat helps insulate the pooches and can help them stay cool, is there any truth to that?

·
Registered
260 Posts
our groomer does this thing she calls the "face, feet & fanny" where she just trims up those areas and doesn't do a complete all-over haircut. we did this every couple of months from september-march. it is cheaper than the full grooming package.

in our puppy kindergarden class we were advised to take kumo to the groomer as young as possible as part of his socialization. she said we should try to expose him to as many different situations and people we could think of that he would be in as an adult dog, so he wouldn't be afraid of them later on. i think his first grooming appointment was around 4 months old.

-em

·
Registered
50 Posts
We left Dexter shaggy until about 9 months. We got him cut for the summer and he was immediately more energetic. It took some getting used to but now we like the look. We got him groomed again last month.

Try the standard doodle cut (0.5-1" on the body, 1" on the head, and 2-3" on the tail). The idog.biz site has a downloadable file.

Last time they had to shave his paws due to matts. We hated this at first but he doesn't track in as much dirt/mud as he used to (giant dust mop that he was).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doodle Cuts

Gee. I would hate to see Cub if he was any more energetic! Thats one thing he sure doesn't lack.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
With Miko, my f1b, I got her cut short for the summer because her hair is so thick and curly. Jonah, my f1 just gets the occasional sanitary shave and paw trim. Those on the forum know that Jonah WILL NOT get the hair around his eyes/head cut. I LOVE the look and he CAN SEE! :lol:

If you need help with photo bucket and posting pictures, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help. I'm no computer genius, so if I can do it, anyone can.... :oops:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've taken Dex to the groomer's twice now (he's 16 weeks old) just to get him used to it. They do a 'puppy cut' where they just do his eyes, his paws, and his "package" :wink: . I just had him there two days ago, and I told them to leave his eyes alone (I like the shaggy face look). I have no idea how I'll have him look as he gets older...shorter?...shaggier?? Who knows :?: :?: :?:

[ETA: I stand corrected by gene's post above: "package" = "sanitary shave". :p ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's really up to the owner's preference. Dexter has been getting overheated quickly outside and that is with the haircut. I'd hate to see how lethargic he'd be outside without! We may go back to the shaggy look for the winter.

Dexter before haircut:

Dexter after haircut:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just remember when giving a haircut because your doodle is hot---the coat acts as insulation both against hot and cold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What color is Dexter?

What color is Dexter? Cub is about that same color and it was left blank where his color was supposed to be on his papers. I wrote in that he was cream and my husband said he was more like a cream/aprocot. After I put that down, I wondered if I had made a mistake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts