Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie loves us, really she does. She gets excited to see us when we come home. She walks between our legs and likes to be petted/massaged (sometimes).
However, from the beginning she wouldn't sit on our laps. Even now, she's lay near us and all but she's not super duper affectionate.

She likes to hang out downstairs even when we're upstairs...unless she needs something, then she'll come up to us.

There are lots of times though when she obviously prefers to be alone. There are other times she wants to be with us.

It worries me when I read about other doodles being sooooooo affectionate. Am I doing something wrong or is it just her personality?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We have 2 F1 LDs. Our first pup, Hershey, is exactlly like you describe. Super mellow and laid back. Happy to chill out at your feet, but sometimes likes to lay out in the yard when we are inside. She gives us kissses only when she wants something, to go out, to eat, to fetch. Never "just to say i love you". She will sit in our lap only if we put her ther and only for about 15 minutes. We ge about 5 minutes of over the top super love when we come home, but that quickly passes and she goes to her chair to chill out. Gus on the other hand is a little love bug. He likes to cuddle all the time, prefers to sit next to me on the couch with his head on my lap when i am on the computer, watching the game, etc. he randomly gives kisses just to say "i love you dad" when he doesnt want anything. We think he is great but 2 of those attention seekers would be tooo much. i am happy with one of each "type".

You arent doing anything wrong, just different personalities of different dogs.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter started wanting to lay on us (on his terms) after he turned a year old. It's so cute...he will just climb up on the sofa with us and lay right on top of us and go to sleep. This does not happen all the time though...

Kirby loves to put his head on our leg, but doesn't climb onto us :) It's all about different personalities :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to worry that Libby didn't like me for the same reason. She is a little bit of a touch-me-not dog. She really doesn't seem to enjoy being pet! Whoever heard of a dog that doesnt' like to be pet? Whenever I try to pet her she'll tolerate it for about 20 seconds and then she gets up and moves away. She doesn't sit on my lap but she does like to sit next to me or at my feet. If I leave the room, she follows me even if I'm only ten feet away. She even has to be in the bathroom when I take a shower! I guess she shows her love by following me around and being near me and not by nudging to be pet or cuddled. I guess not all dogs are created equal! :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao thinks she is a lap dog. She is getting to big for that. But I still let her. She is after all my baby. I am sorry I can't be any help with this.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner isn't a lap dog either. He will cuddle first thing in the AM and he always likes his ears and neck rubbed and scratched but never gets in your lap. He likes to lay next to the couch, chair or sometimes on the end of my chaise...but he leaves when he gets too warm. He is also not a licker...He is more of a rubber :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Sounds like a simple case of having more a poodle than Lab tendency in that area. My Poodles make no secret of their affection for me, but they show it entirely different than the labs do.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Bogie is also a morning lover lapdog. At night, he crawls in bed for about 5 minutes then lies by the side of the bed.
Here's the thing.....If I WANT him on my lap, he decides.......lol..........he wants to be in charge of when and IF he'll do it! :lol:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am sure, it's just personality! Lucas is not nearly as cuddly as Della is, there is a clear difference between the two in how much they want to be touched. I have heard of this changing too as pups get older... so who knows, perhaps she will change?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon doesn't get on our laps while we're on the furniture unless invited. She doesn't get on the furniture otherwise.

If we're on the floor we're fair game. She'll either lay on us or really close beside us. Makes it hard to do anything if we have to do it on the floor. She's right there.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dex definitely is not a lap dog. His way to show affection is to crawl behind our legs when we're sitting on the couch...he becomes kind of a foot rest. And that's where he'll stay. Every once in a while he likes to gnaw on a bully stick in my lap...but that's the only time he does it.

He's more of the nose-butt kinda guy when he wants to say I love you.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
BEAU and tankadoodle Peanut both try to put their paws and half their body on our laps...it's cute but no Thank you, they're heavy

Max beign 26 in tall ...well at his height he just strolls by, stops and waits for a good backscratch and hug.
i have peanut and Beau sit for attention rather than jumping in our laps

·
Registered
247 Posts
my co-worker has shaia's brother from the first litter (shaia comes from the second litter) and they call him a "LAPradoodle." he'll literally shove himself onto your lap. it's really cute and very endearing. i too wish shaia were more like that - she is not a lap dog. i would say she's mildly affectionate. she cuddles with me in the AMs in bed before i get up to take her out but that's about it. it totally depends on the dog. she is so super sweet and LOVES everyone to the extent that i sometimes wondered if she even loved me as much b/c she never got as excited to see me as the rest of her neighborhood friends (she actually has a reputation in the neighborhood for being the sweetest and best behaved dog :))
i know she loves us. and everyone else too :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts