Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for the group.

Max never shed until recently at 8 months old,hes been shedding more and more.So im wondering if this is because hes more lab,than poodle type hair or if its a seasonal thing.What do you thinks?Any Ideas?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Possibly it could be the "blowing" of the puppy coat. Jonah never shed until 7-9 months. Then he shed a lot! Now it is minimal. Rumor and Milo don't she at all....that was even before I made them bald!! :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
the good news (from what I've heard) is that they will blow their puppy coat and then the shedding should stop or become much much less.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sounds like your puppy is blowing puppy which can alarm some as then it's fuzzies all over everything on and off for approx 2mos.

USUSALLY they go back to being nonshedding afterwards :D
some will have their doodle trimmed down to an INCH which greatly reduces puppy coat blowing/shedding

·
Registered
309 Posts
Brodie is a 6mo. old F3 and he sheds more than my Greyhounds or my Dalmatian. I don't know why that is...Any know?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
MichelleB said:
Brodie is a 6mo. old F3 and he sheds more than my Greyhounds or my Dalmatian. I don't know why that is...Any know?
It appears, from your avatar, that Brodie has a lot of Lab in him...even multigenerational dogs can produce throwback puppies. Take heart, it will usually slow down and become much less shedding with time.

I agree with the others that puppies, normally non-shedding, will blow their puppy coats close to a year in age. It does generally stop.

It is unusual, but not impossible, for a Doodle to be a heavily shedding dog. Any breeder that assures someone that their dog will not shed is making false statements, although probably unintentionally.

Even the "non-shedding" Doodles (and Poodles) will shed some hairs...think about it...people shed too! (Some more than others.) But as a general rule, Labradoodles and Goldendoodles shed far less than most other dogs.

I try, in this forum and with my contact with buyers, to let people know that there are no promises of non-shedding coats...that the dog will likely be less shedding but it is not a given.

True, the greater the generation, the better chance you have of getting a low-non shedding coat...but much of this depends on the amount of Poodle infusion. Since F1s often shed, it is likely that straight F1 crosses (as in an F3) have not had more Poodle infusion, so they may tend to produce more throwback coats.

F1Bs are usually a good choice, but even in that mix, I have gotten wiry, shedding coats...and sometimes those coats become non-shedding after 2 years.

This is what makes most of the "pure breed" proponents so angry with our breeding mixed breeds. Ther is no standard expectation with Doodles. And, until there can be a standard to breed that produces the same quality consistently, we will continue to see a large variety of coat types and qualities. (I don't think we will have a breed standard for many years, if ever.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bailey is an F1 and just turned a year old. He never shed until about a month ago. From everything I have ever read on this board concerning the subject, I beleive he is now blowing his puppy coat. He leaves no hair on furniture or clothing, but we find tumbleweeds (or Doodleweeds as my husband calls them) all over the place now......Compared to all of the labs I have ever owned, this is NOTHING!
Even if he continues to shed, I will take it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosie is 8 months old and is an F1B and lately she has been shedding so much there are tumble weeds of black fur. I just had her trimmed and it has help but I am very, very thankful for my Dyson vacuum. I suspect its is her puppy coat and the fact that its been so warm lately.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Max looks a lot like Brie, she sheds but WAY less then a lab. She did blow her coat around that age. Not sure if anyone has recommended the Furminator to you but it's a GREAT de-shedding tool.

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
247 Posts
same thing happened w shaia - she is an F1, almost 8 months, never shed til recently. still not nearly as bad as some labs i've had (or seen) but it's def more than usual. i think it's seasonal shedding or blowing coat or a combo. i'm pretty much banking on the fact that she'll go back to not shedding in a few months :wink: it's funny cuz when i tell people she's a doodle the first question they always ask is "does she shed?" like that's what people automatically assume about labradoodles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for that great information.I didn't know about the "Blowing".
Now,Should I get him shaved then,will this help him grow in a better coat, or should I just leave nature do its own thing.?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Luber
As you know Denver and Max are from the same breeder
but different parents........
Denver is an F1 Standard and has never shed but he has
a strip of thicker curls growing along the top of his back right now
and for the first time ever I can brush him and get hair on the brush
he does not leave any behind on the furniture or anywhere else but
I find it interesting that he is
growing longer thicker hair at this stage since he will be two next month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I guess it's "normal" right?

My F1B labradoodle, Kirby, is 6 months old and I've noticed a little hair floating around lately. He loves to be in the car and I've literally seen it floating with the wind. It's not so bad that I find it throughout the house but I did see some in his crate yesterday. I brush him with a slicker brush then a comb weekly. Is there anything else that I should do? He has a curly fleece coat and is due to see his groomer may 8th. Should I have him shaved short? I live in eastern NC and it is pretty humid. My poor shaggy doodle is always panting. :( Please let me know what you think.

Also - can anyone tell me how to upload a picture of him as my avatar?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody is a 13 month old F1 and seems to be shedding more recently. Like DaDoodle mentioned, we also don't find hair on furniture, just lots of tumbleweeds (doodleweeds?). It was really bad for a few weeks, but seems to have calmed down (I swear there were weeks when I'd swifter vac on Saturday and Monday I'd look at the floor and wonder if I really did swifter or not).
Cody did seem to 'blow' his coat at 7-9 months of age. I'm chaulking this sudden tumbleweed creation up to the change in seasons and him shedding his winter coat. Not sure dogs have 'winter' coats, but it helps me feel better. :D
We will be getting him shaved down within the next few weeks as spring is really supposed to come and STAY (not that you could tell today with the snow flurries).
Shaving should help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We didn't get Daisy until she was a year old, so I guess we missed the blowing of the puppy coat. However, she had her first heat in late December/January, and after that, she started shedding tons. We had huge Doodleweeds on the carpet plus stray hairs that seemed to float everywhere - the stove, the countertops, etc. Yuck! We had her spayed, and it was like someone had flipped a switch; she instantly went back to being extremely low shedding. I'm pretty convinced that the Great Shed of '08 was hormonal in her case.

Now I brush her about every other day to remove any dead hair and keep her from matting, and only very seldom do I find a doodleweed around the house. I've had several people tell me lately that I should probably get her clipped for summer, and even though I suspect they're right, I hate the idea because her coat's very easy to care for and I think my black shaggy dog is so darn cute!

S.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
here's Kirby

Thanks so much for the info. Here's a picture of Kirby (taken last month when he was 5 months old).

Do you know how to upload a profile picture? I see most people have a photo on the left of their post (under their user id and above the date that they joined).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts